CPU/Mobo 7 reasons for Windows 7 on Athlon II X2 240

otpsurvive

Disciple
Came across the AMD Athlon II X2 240 today. It comes at an amazing price of $52. It is now available in India too. And surprisingly almost the same price here too. The best VFM Proc. I come across many threads asking for the cheapest config. I think this proc would feature in each one of them. Perhaps this is the end of the semprons. Although, the semprons are still the cheapest, unless someone's on an extremely shoe-string budget, I wouldn't advocate it. This proc makes much better sense and even spec wise it rocks compared to the Intel's similarly priced E5300. Here's is AMD's official pamphlet quoting the differences
3838789053_f5a8960fe0_o.jpg

Yay!:hap2:
My friend's rig had just conked out a day before. I was suggesting the 250 but the cost was prohibitive. I hope this wouldbe available at a much lower price.
And also Windows 7 benefits from the Hardware assisted virtualization with RVI on this processor so even budget rigs can run XP Mode super fine. Combine this with the latest 785G and you've got an amazing VFM with great DX10.1 graphics with ATI Stream and all the goodies that come with it. Cool :cool2:
All the enthusiasts may not even look at this but for people on budget who make the majority, this is a great offering by AMD.:clap:

This is the most VFM proccy ever.

Though I would like to comment on this line

"It comes at an amazing price of $52. It is now available in India too. And surprisingly almost the same price here too."

Proccy have equal prices in almost everywhere in the world.

One of my friend bought this for 3000/- yesterday with a checp Gigabyte nVIDIA chipset based mobo(2100/-). He says its very fast and he is satisfied with it. I will try to manage him to run some benchies. :)

i don't agree with higher clock speed for faster performance...:S Still AMD prcoccy lags behind intel's to some extent...

remember intel's netburst compared with AMD K8...K8 was more superior than netburst...

intel's high clock speed didn't help..but overall it did help intel to develop a good architecture CPU...:)

just my 2cents...:cool2:

@otpsurvive

is this any india specific AD?

i noticed fusion.india at the bottom.

also, even though 790 chipset is not mentioned in the AD, a note at the bottom says that all the benchmark is done on 790GX chipset :)

I think old X2 7750+ is better than thios AII 240.

* 7750+ is less than 3k

* 2.7Ghz [X2 240@ 2.8ghz]

* has L3 cache

* phenom Architecture

* 1MB L2+2MB L3

So i think X2 7750+ has better performance per clock though oc is limited due to 65 nm and power consumption too is bit high.

Just got a biostar 785G with an X2 7750+ for 3.6k and 2.9k today.

Its IGP[HD 4200 with 128 sideport DDR3] rocks. i thinkn it performs same/better than a 9500GT with DDR2.

will run 3d mark on it tomorrow and ll post the scores.

@masterbrain Yes, this ad is India specific. And yes the benchmarks were done on the 790GX. I've advised my friend to get this proc and a 785G chipset based MoBo as he required a cheap replacement for his system that went suddenly kaput due to a low quality PSU that he had. Have also asked him to get the Corsair VX 450 and 4GB of RAM. Once he gets this, I shall run some tests and post the scores of the actual real world scores. He wouldn't be worried too much if the scores don't match exactly to that of the ad. So... Let's see how it goes. Keep watching this space..

dOm1naTOr said:
I think old X2 7750+ is better than thios AII 240.

* 7750+ is less than 3k

* 2.7Ghz [X2 240@ 2.8ghz]

* has L3 cache

* phenom Architecture

* 1MB L2+2MB L3

So i think X2 7750+ has better performance per clock though oc is limited due to 65 nm and power consumption too is bit high.

The AII X2 240 should be as good if not better.

The missing L3 cache is well compensated for by a larger 2MB L2 cache. Plus its based off the tweaked Phenom II architecture.

The fact that it runs cooler/uses less power/overclocks higher is only a bonus.

Back