70k: Desktop or Alienware M11x ?

TheOneVj

Disciple
Up until last night i was all in for desktop (i5, 24", hd5850) but then i checked out a friends m15x and tht thing blew me away and he got me all pumped up saying that the m11x is arround 55k wit i7 n 1gb gfx. and since that point im in love with it.

I've enquired at dell dealers in pune and none of them are clear on the specs or the price. hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow with the details.

this laptop/desktop is gonna be my only source of hd viewing and gaming. thus coms the question: How will i enjoy hd and gaming on 11" screen? my answer to that till now is that if anything is left frm the budget or by saving up for it, i'll get my self a nice lcd monitor.
its supposed to be my bday present so i can actually try n get the m15x but then again its the question of enjoying hd on 15". thats y i've got my heart on the m11x. since i'll be needing the monitor anyways i might as well pick the m11x and save some money while choosing a much portable option than the m15x.

please do not reply saying that desktops are better than laptops, coz i kno that, in fact i am anti-laptop but i love the m11x.
i currently have a broke down old school pc which i've been wanting to upgrade since lst 6mnths.

i'll be placing the order in 2days. let me kno if im crazy goin for m11x for nothing or is it a better choice. also let me kno about the pricing if you know.

ps: posting this from my cell in the middle of the night so please excuse mistakes, if any.

have u looked into the asus g73? as much as i love the mx11 for the size.. g73 always looks way to cool to have! lol few sites ship em directly to india aswell. or u can always try iccworld.

TheOneVj said:
Up until last night i was all in for desktop (i5, 24", hd5850) but then i checked out a friends m15x and tht thing blew me away and he got me all pumped up saying that the m11x is arround 55k wit i7 n 1gb gfx. and since that point im in love with it.

I've enquired at dell dealers in pune and none of them are clear on the specs or the price. hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow with the details.

this laptop/desktop is gonna be my only source of hd viewing and gaming. thus coms the question: How will i enjoy hd and gaming on 11" screen? my answer to that till now is that if anything is left frm the budget or by saving up for it, i'll get my self a nice lcd monitor.

its supposed to be my bday present so i can actually try n get the m15x but then again its the question of enjoying hd on 15". thats y i've got my heart on the m11x. since i'll be needing the monitor anyways i might as well pick the m11x and save some money while choosing a much portable option than the m15x.

please do not reply saying that desktops are better than laptops, coz i kno that, in fact i am anti-laptop but i love the m11x.

i currently have a broke down old school pc which i've been wanting to upgrade since lst 6mnths.

i'll be placing the order in 2days. let me kno if im crazy goin for m11x for nothing or is it a better choice. also let me kno about the pricing if you know.

ps: posting this from my cell in the middle of the night so please excuse mistakes, if any.
Hi...If the purpose of this computer is watching HD movies then go for the m11x,its a lot pricier than a good HTPC but you seem to like it a lot,so it's ok if u wanna buy it.But if you wanna play the latest games maxed out on a 24" monitor then you're gonna be disappointed with the m11x and you'll regret buying it.IINM it comes with a GT335M card,it can't handle gaming at full HD.

Personally I'd prefer more performance to looks anyday because i get bored of anything no matter how good it looks,but i guess thats a matter of preference.

Hope this helped.

its not all about the looks, its the whole idea of owning alienware. the main purpose of this laptop is gonna be hd. and as far as the gaming is concerned, im sure it will blow my mind whn compared to my old school junk :p
the asus does look good but its not all about the looks. you see up until a day ago i hated laptops, but alienware changed my opinion abt tht.

But performance wise at the same price you can build a med high end rig. My choices are always desktop gaming. I have used m11x which is used by friend. He too felt the same like you. But now he regrets m11x. Rather get a performance build and get a ALIENWARE Display unit. That would be show off. Refer PC BUYING GUIDE to customize your build.

DESKTOP GAMING RULES!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

he's already said in his first post, he knows (and we know) you can build a better desktop in the same price, but he wants a "laptop"

@ OP / didnt just recomend the asus for the looks, its got better specs at a similar price.. if u manage to import it (locally its a bit more exp).. and i think asus offers a global warranty.

I myself will have to choose between a M15x or a Desktop + Medium End Laptop in a years time

Will the gaming/Hd viewing experience on a M15x with a FullHD screen be similar to gaming on a 24"?

BTW What other options are there for a 17" gaming laptops which do not start from $2100, rather something around $1500?

I have been to the AW Store in Bangalore quite a number of times - This is the best config they have - What I believe is the most VFM M11x Model available Here are the specs and the pricing they gave me I dont think there are many 11" alternatives which would get the gaming job done similar to the Alienware --

Model ALIENWARE 11X ALIENWARE 11X

CPU INTEL CORE i5-520UM INTEL CORE i7-640UM

OPERATING SYSTEM Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

MEMORY 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz

HDD 500GB 7200 RPM 500GB 7200 RPM

GRAPHIC CARD Nvidia GeForce G335M 1GB Nvidia GeForce G335M 1GB

ODD None None

ANTIVIRUS 15 Months McAfee 15 Months McAfee

SCREEEN 11.6” HD 720P (1366X768) 11.6” HD 720P (1366X768)

WARRANTY 12 Months Retail Premium 12 Months Retail Premium

KEYBOARD BACKLIT (Alien FX) BACKLIT (Alien FX)

COLOURS BLACK/GREY BLACK/GREY

BATTERY 8 CELL 8 CELL

PRICE Rs-73400 Rs-81900

If you do have any queries . Let me know i'll pass it down to the guys at AW ..

Hope that helped

:cool2:

If you want to buy an Alienware system...i'd say that you buy it from the U.S.A..Locally, it is expensive..Also, you can try the xps 16 which in itself is an amazing machine..or, IF you can wait for the xps 17, it is going to be awesome too..

BUT, i agree, ALIENWARE is in a different class altogether..If you want to save a couple of bucks, get it from U.S.A,,should come aorund $1100 with i7, 4 gig ram, 1 year warranty and other usual stuff...you can buy the extended waranty here in india..

I know, it would be costly since the prices are low with new systems..but, you can calculate the differences first by confirming all the prices and then decide what to go for...

viditkalra said:
If you want to buy an Alienware system...i'd say that you buy it from the U.S.A..Locally, it is expensive..Also, you can try the xps 16 which in itself is an amazing machine..or, IF you can wait for the xps 17, it is going to be awesome too..

BUT, i agree, ALIENWARE is in a different class altogether..If you want to save a couple of bucks, get it from U.S.A,,should come aorund $1100 with i7, 4 gig ram, 1 year warranty and other usual stuff...you can buy the extended waranty here in india..

I know, it would be costly since the prices are low with new systems..but, you can calculate the differences first by confirming all the prices and then decide what to go for...
Mate , I'd like to ask you one thing - Have you compared the above specs , with the USA Dell configurator - If you did you might have realized the RAM - is only at 800Mhz - the HDD@160GiB - and the MS Office Original - Mc Afee Subscription etc. etc. - the cost would come to $1650 (without shipping + taxes) - that converts to 73,528 INR (Oanda Converter) - Which is the Indian retail price including taxes without shipping - I'm just trying to point out that what AW India is selling is a better deal at a better price that their US Counter parts - Im not telling AW is GAWD and all but I'm trying to point that its pretty much bang for buck - the best 11" Lappy out there - and a good deal for 70k

:) - I hope you take that In the right way ...

^^You can get the same specs as 82k m11x at just 55k in usa except minor differences like office,crappy mcaffe,faster ram etc BUT getting it from us to india is a big headache unless any friend/family member is visiting as the custom duty+international shipping will kill the deal.Here is the dell us link:

Alienware M11x Laptop Details | Dell

^^^couldnt have said better myself..

and to add...

you can find a lot of coupons which can be used on dell.com which makes the deal a lot sweeter....

all i can understand ....is you are addicted to the ideal of owning alienware.....( i would like one too ....damn i said it)

but why go the laptop route...get an alienware desktop .....if you are spending 80K ....you can definately get an alienware desktop within that ....!!
IMO ...aienware case looks much cooler than alienware laptop!...any day

strategy said:
all i can understand ....is you are addicted to the ideal of owning alienware.....( i would like one too ....damn i said it)

but why go the laptop route...get an alienware desktop .....if you are spending 80K ....you can definately get an alienware desktop within that ....!!
IMO ...aienware case looks much cooler than alienware laptop!...any day
AFAIK the cheapest AW - Desktop(ALX) costs around 1.2L --- With a single GTX460 - 1.35L if you want an Aurora ALX case ...Which is not quite the option - Considering there wont be any room for further upgrades - Since its mATX and is kind of optimized for AW fixtures<< (AFAIK)

Also , there is a way to procure AW Cases - the old refurbished Predator cases - they retail for around $200 in the US - and the shipping will be a PITA - If you can get the case - Then the AW - Monitor (AW2210) - Costs 15k and the TactX Kit another 30k - All in all - the AW Merchandise will cost ~ 40k (incl. shipping) - So the rest 30k could be spend on the REAL H/W - Instead - Getting a AW Laptop is more VFM - but yes ...the desktop will raise quite a few Eyebrows ... Aslo the OP is looking for a laptop solution ...needs reasons of why to get/not to get an AW ....

:cool2:

Back