Graphic Cards 7850(2gb) vs 660(2gb Non Ti)

Techie#1

Skilled
I'm upgrading my old rig

New components(to be brought):
1) Amd fx 8350
2) Asus M5A-97 EVO R2.0
3) Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 FSB(4x2gb)
4)GPU =? (Confused)

Everything else including my old Corsair vx550w psu remains from the current system !

Originally was thinking about picking up the 7850 (Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB DC2)
but after various inputs/searching/ watching videos on youtube,etc about Nvidia Gpu physX ,cuda & Nvidia 3d i found the eye candy of nvidia gpu quite interesting.Hence i'm very confused about which gpu to buy?
*The nearest comparative gpu is a Nvidia Geforce 660 GPU (ASUS GRAPHICS CARD GTX 660 2GB DDR5) which cost more!

Though i had a strict budget of going for a gpu under 15k originally...(the 7850 fits the bill) but the 660 does cost more!

So, the main thing i'm asking is it really worth it to buy a more expensive gpu just for the sake of the physx eye candy(i liked them in the youtube videos but have no real world experience of viewing them first hand).Can i or rather should i be sold on the Nvidia Physx feature than on a ati radeon gpu that doesn't have it? Does that makes so much of difference while playing (particularly the games with physx support).will i be really making a happy extra2k investment just for these?

**screen resolutionfor gaming & desktop - 1920x1200

Please do pour in your replies fast!!!

There are hardly few games that looks good in physx & to max out Physx u need a better card than 660.
GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 is good for Full HD games when compared to HD 7850 . but you will not get any Stellar performance or difference choosing GTX 660 over 7850 in most games. + Point for Nvidia is GPU boost & CUDA . Screw Physx , IMO Physx is not a system seller, it looks good on paper , but on Real world its just waste .My money is on Nvidia !
Its up to you. May be you should wait for the GTX 760 to roll out .

^ you think Nvidia Gpu physX doesn't rock the boat but still your money is on Nvidia ? Cant understand what you mean,do you use a Nvidia GPU yourself..if yes which one,are you disatisfied ?
btw,do you think CPU(amd fx8350) based physx will give me 'moderate' physx effect on a 7850 with acceptable framerates?

Anymore, pals here to help me choose between a 660 & a 7850?

Need your advices fast...I'm already late to order my things by one day!

Performance wise the GTX 660 is better than 7850. If u really wanna spend Rs 14000, Go for GTX 660. But I would recommend U to go for the 7850 1Gb. I bought one yesterday for RS. 8500. Considering the price point, I think u should go for MSI 7850 1GB. There is not much difference in performance b/w the 1GB & 2GB variant.

yes,i'm afraid of Msi & digicare warranty too!
btw, i'm finding the GTX660(2gb) Not @14000 but at 16694(all inclusive including shipping) ..the model ASUS GRAPHICS CARD GTX 660 2GB DDR5
*If it was at 14k,i would have blindly gone for that!

Anyway..more inputs welcome...please pour them in !

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660?vs=549

The GTX 660 has a definitive lead in almost all the games. IINM nvidia's drivers are a notch better than the Catalyst ones. I have been using an ATI/AMD GPU since a very long time so I wouldn't know of the other camp much but we keep seeing posts about how the nvidia drivers have improved the frame rates of the newly launched titles.

As for PhysX, very few titles support them. Among the upcoming ones - Arkham Origins, Witcher 3 ARMA 3. That's all. Few titles have PhysX implemented properly. All the Batman titles have noticeable differences when PhysX is enabled.

Lastly, my recent experience with Digicare has been good (possibly because I knew a contact who works for Asus) and had my motherboard replaced and upgraded to a better model through them. The overall experience and turnaround time was good. I had to send my Intel processor to Bangalore (which was returned back citing no issues) and it was done through Digicare themselves. Turnaround time was 10 days and they intimated me properly. No issues with Digicare.

So,the main crux of my question remains...would you still recommend me a gtx660 over the 7850 in the case the 6602gb (non ti) costs about 2k more than the 7850 2gb.....even i were to negate the nvidia specific features like physx,etc
Is the 660 really worth it or should i simply blindly pick up the 7850?

You mentioned this in your first post:

**screen resolutionfor gaming & desktop - 1920x1200

In the later benches in that Anandtech link I'd posted, there is a good deal of difference in the frame rates at that resolution. I'd say 2k is well worth the difference. Plus the added PhysX support.

But will NOT the inferior memory bandwidth (192 bit bus) of the GTX660 vs the (256 bit bus) of the 7850 affect performance in 1920x1200 resolution with the HIGHEST ULTRA settings ?

SMC is still selling MSI 7850 1gb for 8500 but it has only two years warranty , 2GB version is 14000+ with 3 years warranty, the 1GB version box also looked very old & worn while 2gb box was new .

the gtx 660 is more than 16.6 ( acc to op) but at that price he can go for either hd7870 from asus or sapphire hd7870 xt as both are better than gtx 660.

This is a no brainer. The GCN architecture is being optimized for by almost every single game of late. It'll only get better when the next gen console games start getting ported to PC. I'm sure the 7850 will easily outlast the 660.

the gtx 660 is more than 16.6 ( acc to op) but at that price he can go for either hd7870 from asus or sapphire hd7870 xt as both are better than gtx 660.

Are you quoting the prices of 7870 ex tax?
I'm quoting prices for the Gtx 660 2gb (from M.D Computers,Kolkata) inclusive of taxes!
What's your price source..you are quoting your prices for 7870 from where?

price was from Vedant Computers ( near Sabir hotel ) .. you need to call them to get confirmation about price though and after the recent dollar price hike it may be alittle more but Asus HD7870 and Sapphire HD7870 XT was available at 15.2k and 16.6k respectively inclusive to taxes.

Back