Graphic Cards 8400m GS conked??

shady8701

Disciple
Hi guys,

I have this old HP laptop that used to serve my purpose pretty well, since all i do is browse and some minor apps like Visual Studio and stuff.
Here are the details
Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (India - English)
So a couple days back, i installed the latest signed drivers for the graphics card and the next day, BOOM!!
the display shows up only on the left 2/3rds of the screen and the graphics card seems to have been disabled by windows because it reported an error.(code 43)
I've done some googling for this and have tried some steps but nothing has helped so far. What i want to know is, if someone here has faced this error and has successfully managed to run his pc after that.
Help would be appreciated, thanks.

I had similar experience with my HP & 8600m gs.

the card went dead in 15-20 months, as mine is under 3 year warranty they fixed it for free. obviously :p

it heats up a lot, around 80degs under load & idles at 55.

anyways, does the Vista Aero work?

mine used to crash/BSOD when aero was enabled or any game's run.

If the laptop is under warranty, then you're safe.

otherwise get 10-15k ready in your hand.
Both G84 and G86 series video chip, have a high rate of failure due to fatigue thermal solder failure

@Kolguy, of course i tried that. I even tried flasing BIOS and reinstalling windows after that, nothing helped.

@Haddock, yeah, thats exactly what the problem is, and my laptop was out of warranty, but the good thing is, even though there's no software fix for that, i got the HP guy here to refurbish my old graphics card and do the cleaning up and all that, now its all working just fine.
Thanks for your reply.
:D

Back