Graphic Cards 8600Gt kaput ...new graphic card needed !

prince980

Disciple
Hello Folks ,
It's been around 5-6 months since my beloved 8600GT stopped working . I buried it in my backyard ... :cry:

Its time i got a new graphic card . Ive been reading the forums but i wanted to make sure that my selection was right .

My budget is around 5k .
My pc specs are :
Intel core 2 duo
DDR2 3 GB ram
intel DG965RY
PSU : zebronics 400 watts
monitor resolution ( 1440 x 900 )....

I would like to play games at medium - high graphics .
How is the ATI HD 4760 ?

and while suggesting please make sure my PSU ,MOBO will be able to handle the card . I dont want to spend extra on PSU

Sorry for the new thread ..waiting for your replies ..

The prince of noobs

Lol, may your 8600GT rest in peace.

You could have RMA'ed it. :p

I would suggest going for the 4670, as it doesn't require an external PCI-E connector and therefore should be relatively safe on your PSU.

But for gods sake man, please change your PSU.

prince980 said:
It's been around 5-6 months since my beloved 8600GT stopped working . I buried it in my backyard ... :cry:

Seriously ? :S

Anyways considering you do not want to upgrade your PSU, then I'm guessing the ATI HD4670 should be perfect. Try getting the 512mb version (although I highly doubt you'll find that).

Since you've got an old Intel board, I'm assuming your Intel Core 2 Duo must be around 1.8~2.4Ghz. So, using that processor + HD4670 should give you Low-Medium graphics @ 1440*900.

wow ,that reply was quick dude .. thanks ..Do i have to change the PSU ?? I'm low on cash ..lol ...

Can the 4670 run latest games at medium - high graphics ? Any other better alternatives below 5k ?

You don't have to change the PSU if you are taking the HD4670 512mb/HD4670 1gb. Anything more than this would require a better PSU ...

You can get its elder brother the HD5670 which should easily run most of the latest games at Medium-High graphics but then you'd have to shell out atleast 1.5k more and get a better PSU (FSP Saga II 350W).

Get a HD5670 512MB DDR5 ~ 4.7k and a FSP SagaII 400w ~ 1.9k.

FSP is a major PSU OEM. The PSU has a PCI-E power connector, 3 SATA power connectors and 3 4-pin power connectors IINM.

Don't save money, especially when it comes to PSU.

At 1440*900 the 5670 will be able to handle most of the game with all settings at medium easily, in dx11.

It's also got a better video decoder than the 4670, and it's more power efficient, and a lot more powerful, it's close to the 9800gt in performance. You'll get close to double the performance of the 4670 for a 1000 bucks more.

Do check the period of warranty offered by Sapphire 2 years or 3!! You may also purchase 5670 now later update the PSU.

If you want only a Graphics Card with DX11 in that budget then get a GT 430.

It can play most of the games in medium to high settings depending on the type of game.

^^I Second that

IF DX11 is not compulsary buy a XFX GT240 1GB DDR3 for 4.5K

It does not require a powerconenctor and OC easily and is equal to 9800GT in performance(if not more)

I've read somewhere that the HD 5670 does not require an additional power source and draws power directly from the motherboard...do I need to connect the card to the PSU?

As you said, it doesn't require any additional power source and draws power directly from the motherboard. So, you don't have to connect the card to the PSU.

ronit said:
then why not 9800gtx??? ofcourse if he isnt so curious for dx 11 :)
The card has been M.I.A. at shops for almost a year now completely phased out by the GTS 250:p, the HD 5670 with the FSP Saga II power supply is the OP's best bet in my view :)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/173?vs=178 ~ the HD 5750 is 15% above the 5670 in performance ( RAW ) + the 8800 GT is the basis of all the 9800 GT series cards so this bench provides a rough match up

Back