Graphic Cards 8800 series slowdown problem

imoen

Adept
Owners of the 8800 series of graphics cards are reporting instances of an extreme drop in frame rates while gaming. The problem is temporarily alleviated by Alt-Tabbing out of the game and then returning back. I have a 320MB 8800GTS and have seen this happen during Oblivion gameplay. After a while I would get framerates of 15-20 when I normally get around 30-50 in the exact same spot. Restarting the game would get my framerates back to normal. Seems to be a memory management issue.

8800 huge fps improvement after alt-tab. Did you notice this? - Page 16 - nV News Forums
NVIDIA Forums -> when will we get the memory bug fix (8800gts 320)

The problem was acknowledged by NVIDIA and they claim to have a solution in progress as reported here: The Tech Report - Random slowdown bug plagues GeForce 8800 cards

The 320MB 8800GTS is primarily affected though users of the 640MB version and the 8800GTX have reported it too.

How about anyone here, noticed any strange framerate dips while gaming??

Fellas!!!

I don't mean to spam this thread. I know its hard to accept that our hard-earned money has gone into a buggy product but it would be great if some of you could speak up either for or against the presence of this problem in your hardware.

Watch this video to get a better idea of what all this is about. YouTube - 8800 huge fps improve after alt-tab

Does anyone agree with me that nVidia should recall the entire 8800 series if they cannot fix it via software??

I have had the 8800GTS 320MB for months now, but played just Fear a few times....It did seem to run fine for the few time I tried it...

Maybe the prob arises after few hours...

Anycase I hv given up on the 8800 series....

oen of the reasons i didnt go for the 320 and another reason it sells for so cheap

has anybody tried the new drivers out on the 26th of last month if it fixes this ?

The geforce 9 series is sure going to take its sweet time....driver problems from nvidia seem to be also pulling down the performance with vista.

Surprisingly World in conflict also seemed to be reporting that it ran out memory with my 8800gts....maybe an alt+tab would have helped...tooo bad the beta is over :(

the driver released on 26th july are just worse..... i got serious laggs in almost all games.

163.11 are a bit better... but still so much lag... i feel my 7600gt was much better than this pile of shit. (not much high quality graphic but it was fast)

this thing sucks

dingemini312 said:
. i feel my 7600gt was much better than this pile of shit. (not much high quality graphic but it was fast)

this thing sucks

Wow ... are you sure mate :huh: I only notice this problem in oblivion sometimes, rest of the games run fine without any stuttering :p , even with Vista

Back