Graphic Cards 980 ti vs 970 sli and DX12

1 highend card is anyday better than 2 mid tier cards !! so i would recommend getting a 980Ti and i own a 980Ti so i can vouch for its performance

my personal recommendation would be skipping the reference cards and go for custom cooler cards like 980Ti AMP extreme and the likes , because the room temperatures in india are on higher side compared to US, my reference card was idling at about 70 with minimal usage and used to get really warm and it was throttling at the base clocks because of this , this was one of the reasons why i upgraded to the AMP extreme with triple fan now even on load the temps dont cross 75 degrees , so pick any custom cooler and you are sorted

Last edited:
the 970 sli performs about 10-15% faster.
the advantages of switching to a 980ti are more ram, less noise, less heat, no sli bugs/conflicts and much less power consumption
That being said - i strongly suggest you wait until dx12 is out as it has new features that may affect multi-gpu configs in a big way. That way you can see what changes the new api brings before plonking down another 50k+.

the 970 sli performs about 10-15% faster.
the advantages of switching to a 980ti are more ram, less noise, less heat, no sli bugs/conflicts and much less power consumption
That being said - i strongly suggest you wait until dx12 is out as it has new features that may affect multi-gpu configs in a big way. That way you can see what changes the new api brings before plonking down another 50k+.

You will get a slightly higher framerate than the 980 ti with the 970 sli but you will also get significantly more variance in frame times with the associated hitching. You would be limited in the future with that 3.5GB slowish framebuffer. However if you have already bought the two 970's, I'd sit tight till pascal and its amd competition arrives.

You will get a slightly higher framerate than the 980 ti with the 970 sli but you will also get significantly more variance in frame times with the associated hitching. You would be limited in the future with that 3.5GB slowish framebuffer. However if you have already bought the two 970's, I'd sit tight till pascal and its amd competition arrives.
Yes, op is running two 970's in sli hence the "wait until dx12 gets here" suggestion.

@OP: what resolution do you plan on playing at? if it's 4k then be advised it still requires a dual-gpu setup for 60+ fps at max details. currently the 980ti and fury x are only just about playable at 4k unless you turn details down to medium.
unless the problems of an sli setup (heat, power, stuttering etc.) are too annoying for you then going from a 970 sli to a 980ti seems like fiscal overkill.
as chaos said, better to wait for pascal(nvidia) or arctic islands(amd).

Back