Laptops A B'Day present

fire

Disciple
Hi Guys,

My sis's B'day falls on 29th this month(Mine is on 27th BTW:)), and am planning to gift her a laptop ..
Initially i was planning to gift her a mini but then decided to give her a low end laptop instead.

Primary Usage - Music , Movie , Surfing , Some Gaming , Some preogramming
(Not sure about the last one:D)

minimum Requirements
Core 2 duo (2ghz + )
4 gigs ddr3 preferable
320 gb hdd
some decent gfx card
14" or 15"
backlit kb preferable.
price - 30k to 40k (inc.tax and 2 year warrant)
some of the choices i had found were
DELL inspiron 15 (except the gfx card , other config are ok ) - ard 40k approx
ACER 5739G (no option for customizing) - no idea of price, as website dint mention it
Zenith SO Director Plus Ultra - (config looks good. but no idea abt quality and service)- 34k + tax

One of my friends will also buy a same spec'ed laptop along with me..
so if som1 could direct me to some good deal or offers it would be very helpful .

Please feel free to provide your valuable suggestions and recomendations.

~MK
~PEACE

P.S If some offer was really good can extend my budget +5k

look into the reviews section for some help.. ur choices seems to be ok... zenith can be customized, even i am planning to buy 1 soon.. its 37.5k + taxes.. not 34k.. but it is a loot if u look at the config-to-price although it has some minor shortcomings that can be overlooked... esp. if budget also concerns u.

abhishek's given a good review on tht.. there have been some complaints about zenith in the past on this forum, i went thru them but they were posted in 2007.. so cant depend on them.

about acer, i donno have seen some recent complaints like white screen, sucky touchpad, my frnd here has a slow comp (with an awesome config), bad for games.

But a lot many recent posts on 5738 say that its value for money, so u can consider tht too..

At coll, lot of my frnds had dell laptops and despite giving a good performance and good display (games / movie-viewing is the best in dell), i have seen even XPS model's components fail, leave alone inspiron.. and they had to call in the service guy often. A frnd of mine had his inspiron shipped from autralia cos his bro stays thr and it crashed within 6 months.. he was not a always-on type of user.. then he bought an XPS from dell bangalor and its spkrs failed twice and he got them replaced.

Another frnd's inspiron's left spkr had some glitches. In both the cases dell gave a good service and promptly replaced the comonents.

from this i infer that

though dell comes a little more expensive (by 1k or 2k), it sells bcos of its good after-sales-service and thats their only strength; without a service warranty, i wudn't buy it.

I always look for something that doesn't give trouble while its running, not the service warranty. I don want an assurance that my hard disc wud be replaced with a new one even after 4 yrs, cos its not something i am looking for.. I only value my data thats inside
btmline- choose between zenith and acer.

anyway, comps get outdated (performance-wise) after 2-4 yrs, 5 at max, their life after that depends upon how much functional utility u require (hardcore gaming or word-procesing??), how tech savvy u are.. blah blah blah... then u have to go for another.. so better choose something that doesn't give u headache till then...

though ppl give reviews, ti hvnt found any durabliity-wise comparision anywhere..

I am sure that with resonable amt of input, we can get a good idea of which is better over a long term (3-4yrs.)

_sHocK said:
I always look for something that doesn't give trouble while its running, not the service warranty. I don want an assurance that my hard disc to be replaced with a new one even after 4 yrs, cos its not something i am looking for..

anyway, comps loose their shine after 2-4 yrs, 5 at max.. so better choose something that doesn't give u headache till then...

though ppl give reviews, there is not durabliity-wise comparision anywhere..

Anything from a Zenith to an Asus or HP notebook can fail...

Not often but it can happen.

And Dell offers good a.s.s comparatively, a reason why it is worth the risk, if at all something fails.

@ _sHocK
Thanks for ur suggestions dude..sure is a long one for a 1st post..informative nevertheless. I myself am looking between zenith and acer only..

@thetoxicmind - Yes , the overall word is that DELL has good A.S.S but my concern with inspiron 15 is the gfx card is not that good(pls correct me if i am wrong)(think it is an ati 4330) and the keyboard does not look good..one of my friend has the same...seriously the italic fonts on the keys are a definite no no(or can these be customised?).

@Raider123 - Very valid point...any idea whether acer and zenith come in any other colours other than black?

i heard acer 5738g has a keyboad similar(to a degree) to macbook pro..can anyone confirm this?(and does it have backlit).

any idea on acer 5739g and inspiron 14z?

Peace~

thetoxicmind said:
Anything from a Zenith to an Asus or HP notebook can fail...

Not often but it can happen.

And Dell offers good a.s.s comparatively, a reason why it is worth the risk, if at all something fails.

Yeah agree with u over their good a.s.s. All i am trying to say that it is much more recommended the word-of-mouth way than it deserves (from my perspective). the folks that i hv earlier mentioned chose to buy only bos their frnds bought the same & those machines came from geographically different locations..

+ dell warranty cover is getting expensive (http://www.techenclave.com/laptops/dell-warranty-package-prices-very-high-146751.html)

btw most lappies come with a 1-yr warranty, u can just look into whether there is an option of extending it. and yeah products with bad support can be avoided.

& Totally agree with Raider123.. (if ur sis likes pink). though not all girls like to be associated with pink.:D

fire said:
@ _sHocK
Thanks for ur suggestions dude..sure is a long one for a 1st post..informative nevertheless. I myself am looking between zenith and acer only..

@thetoxicmind - Yes , the overall word is that DELL has good A.S.S but my concern with inspiron 15 is the gfx card is not that good(pls correct me if i am wrong)(think it is an ati 4330) and the keyboard does not look good..one of my friend has the same...seriously the italic fonts on the keys are a definite no no(or can these be customised?).

@Raider123 - Very valid point...any idea whether acer and zenith come in any other colours other than black?

i heard acer 5738g has a keyboad similar(to a degree) to macbook pro..can anyone confirm this?(and does it have backlit).

any idea on acer 5739g and inspiron 14z?

Peace~

The keyboard of the Acer 5738 is pretty similar to that on the Apple and Sony laptops. But they are not backlit.

Read the review of the Acer 5738 on Techtree : Techtree.com India > Reviews > Mobile Computing > Notebooks > Acer Aspire 5738: Desktop Replacement Notebook

hotshot05 said:
The keyboard of the Acer 5738 is pretty similar to that on the Apple and Sony laptops. But they are not backlit.

Read the review of the Acer 5738 on Techtree : Techtree.com India > Reviews > Mobile Computing > Notebooks > Acer Aspire 5738: Desktop Replacement Notebook

Ah that is good..read the review. Thanx for the link.

But the zenith model has awesome configuration for that price..if only they had good reviews regarding their service and build quality, i would have been game for it :)..

Anyway i am going to nehru place today evening for my Preliminary look on some laptops.

Peace~

Back