A better Graphics and Eyecandy section... What are your thoughts?

DanDroiD

Skilled
Hi everyone.. I have been somewhat absent from this section lately as life has been very busy (In a good way) but I would like to get back on track and continue to spice this section up, so I would really love to hear some of your ideas.

It would be great if we could make a group effort to improve this section and since we are all committed TE members I would like to hear your ideas

If you have more than one suggestion, please number them 1. 2. 3. etc ....

I will keep this thread open for a couple of weeks or so and see what kind of response there is, and then take the best and most popular ideas and open a new thread to discuss them (or perhaps a poll to decide the final winners). Then we can start working on the winning ideas together in the TE community way. :)

Please try to keep this on topic.

First off, great initiative! & now, my 2 annas-

1. Maybe we could have a separate Work In Progress/Showcase section to enable members to display their artwork &/or seek help/critique/feedback; Or another section related to technical help, be it software or hardware [graphics related, of course] - just so the threads are better organized.

2. We could also have a monthly "contest" of sorts - Maybe have a topic/subject posted by the Mods, to which entries may be submitted throughout the month, & have the best entry chosen at the end of the month by members' poll or a panel of members experienced in graphic design. There needn't be any prize. I think just a title such as "Designer of the month" would keep members happy.

I say this might interest a lot of folks, based on the response to greenhorn's WTB thread for logo design. I don't think the money offered there was the incentive. Rather, it was an opportunity for people to work on something concrete & have their design chosen over that of their peers. Most members, I believe, are pursuing design as a hobby &/or are still learning to improve. Such an initiative would help focus & improve on one's skills. It's also very interesting to see people come up with different designs off of the same concept & also the various techniques employed can be discussed & tips shared.

3. We could also have a different renowned graphic designer's work highlighted every month, so people can learn about various techniques, tips etc. from the masters themselves.

1) Creating a DOTM Tag, would def interest the designers in this forum. ( as suggested by kidrow)

2) Tutorials would also be a big winner. After a period of time the good ones can be chosen and put into a Sticky?

3) Creating a small Gallery for the designers would help to showcase them.

4) A TechEnclave Designer Sweatshirt Maybe? (if enough interested candidates are available)

5) A work in progress section would also be a major plus point. ( Suggested by kidrow )

6) Different Styles of Art can be showcased in different threads!

7) Create a designer theme for TE? Probably hold a contest or something?

Tutorials should have a separate section, so should work in progress and finished works.

Then there should be something in general for the non-pro folks like myself.

Although I dont know a lot, i do toy with making some wallpapers or some stuff. also the photography thread or clean up all wallpaper threads in to one huge repo.

I dont know if its doable, but some sort of preview of randomly selected art from the finished thread to be shown when we enter the subforum, that would be awesome.

To all those asking for tutorials, do you mean those created by forum members only or links to others found elsewhere as well?

Cos IMHO, when it comes to the latter, there are loads of sites which collate 'em & which can be found easily via google. As for the former, I don't think there'll be much of a response as most TE members are still learning graphic design. The majority are amateurs {including meself} & hence a good quality tutorial will probably be a rarity. It'll be difficult for the pros to set time aside & create tuts.

I'm not dismissing the idea, but I feel that the response to the WIP section will give us a better idea about the feasibility. So let's start slow & think about the tutorials a bit later.

I'd also like to suggest an avatar/signature request thread, cos some of them here are downright ugly. :bleh:

I will be putting together the idea's so far and will check to see that everything falls in under TE rules and regs, then I will check-in with other Mods and Admin to make sure all is ok... then I will post results for final discussion or poll shortly.

If you have any other idea's, please post them asap and if I get them before the final rundown, I will include them.

PP

Back