a c++ learning guide?

nfsfan

Adept
i am currently pursuing a b.tech programme in computers from delhi and
going to be in my 4th sem next month.i have currently done the basic C and c++(file,STL etc..) and also the data structures.

next sem i have operating systems and advanced data structures(or algorithms) and i have already started that.

please could someone guide me a roadmap for advanced programming(to go to application development,open source,web tech. and os's)

For advanced programming, stick with algorithms. There are different programming techniques for different problem such as Greedy, Dynamic, Brute force etc. Its a vast field but knowledge of basic tree, sorting, container algos helps a lot. I would recommend Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen to read this stuff from. Once you have done the algorithms well, programming is reduced to just syntax.

thanx. i had started reading from that book.

does programming in visual c++/visual c# take these algos too?i mean,if i want to start learning them as well,should i finish algorithms first or do side by side?

Algorithms have nothing to do with programming languages. You can write an algo in simple english, search for pseudo codes it will give you an insight how to write alogs. Cormen also has all algos in pseudo code forms. An algorithm can be implemented in any platform.

However programming in C# does have certain befefits as they contain many standard algorithms such as hash tables, queues, stacks etc already implemented. It will become easier to implement codes that use them. Usually beginners start with Java or C/C++ I suggest you do the same. Try and implement the algorithms you read in Coremen.

Back