Graphic Cards A Coolermaster ep duo 600 and some dilemmas

Kalopsia

Disciple
Well, here it goes. My PalitHD 4850 Sonic goes down and I was looking for a card. The max budget is 14000.

AT first I was considering a Msi 5770 Hawk.And then Sapphire Vapor-X. But lately I've been considering those gtx 460's and 5850's. And If I can stretch the budget a bit (sacrificing on a pair of jeans and a tee) I could go and buy any of the latter cards.

BUT here's the problem: My Coolermaster extreme power duo 600 , I think it might've been the problem my old card got fried: It's all red scrambled lines and I can't even get into windows. That was when I was using the pc, without a UPS for a week. This situation puts me in a dilemma. Whether I have to go for a 5770 and buy a Corsair 450/550 psu or go for any of the 5850/gtx 460 cards.

Now I'm on a Microtek 800 VA ups and the system works fine. And Probably any spike/surge won't happen. But If I go for a 5850/gtx 460, will my PSU handle it?

My system spec are......

Core2 Duo E8400
Asus P5Q Deluxe
Kingston 2x2gb 800 DDR2
Coolermaster Extreme Power Duo 600

nope! avoid taking risks and get a corsair vx550 @ 5000rs shipped - check techenclave dealer's paradise for deals.

yaar for the budget of 14k,

i will suggest

Corsair vx450(no need overspending for vx550)4k

rest 10k get hd 5770 or wait for GTS450:)

ur psu will handle gtx 460 but not safe .. also the palit 4850s die a lot so it may or maynot be due to the psu that card died .. get GTX 460 768mb for 11k + VX450 .

I think I can go for a 5770 + a Corsair vx450. But I'm not really liking the 128 bit memory interface on the 5770s. (I saw Vapor-x as a 256 one at Overclockersclub, but it must've been a typo. )

RoBoGhOsT said:
ur psu will handle gtx 460 but not safe .. also the palit 4850s die a lot so it may or maynot be due to the psu that card died .. get GTX 460 768mb for 11k + VX450 .

+1 to roboghost. THis should cost 14.5-15k which just about exceeds budget. For 11k u can get POV cards. But MSI ones costs 11.8k for the 768MB GTX 460 IINM.

I'm not a hardcore gamer. Eventhough I've seen reviews where 5770 being better than my old 4850, I'm a a little worried about the 128 bit memory interface on the 5770s. But everytime I see a 5850, it's telling 'Come and get me' and I could only sigh, that it won't fit into my budget of 14k. :( So much for quitting a job and moving to my dad's place.

It's probably be a 5770 + Vx 550.

pegasus said:
Please leave some headroom for the future.

Get a VX550/TX650 or higher and a 5770/460 depending on your gamingrequirements. :)

why must someone be inclined to overspend on the psu?

the op is already constrained by the budget

afaik VX450 would handle even HD5850,5870 beautifully(sourced from corsair psu finder)

it isn't like op wants to go for multi card setup!

when the op would upgrade the gpu in future, he would get a more powerful gpu with comparable TDP!

VX450 would suffice for single card (evergreen and GF 104) setups

(except single card GF 100 setup)

pegasus said:
Please leave some headroom for the future.
Get a VX550/TX650 or higher and a 5770/460 depending on your gamingrequirements. :)
funkysourav said:
why must someone be inclined to overspend on the psu?
the op is already constrained by the budget

afaik VX450 would handle even HD5850,5870 beautifully(sourced from corsair psu finder)
it isn't like op wants to go for multi card setup!

when the op would upgrade the gpu in future, he would get a more powerful gpu with comparable TDP!
VX450 would suffice for single card (evergreen and GF 104) setups
(except single card GF 100 setup)
First of all, please do check what's the % of load any power supply, i mean any brand/make/rating, works best at.
Then please try to understand the meaning of the word "headroom."

Also, where does the term 'upgrade' restrict the OP to GPU upgrades only.
There may be a possibility where the OP may choose to upgrade to a i5/i7+P55 or X6+890 or i7+X58 setup sometime down the line.
Won't that draw much more power, especially when overclocked?
Is there any guarantee he won't- unless you have insider info already.
Does a smart user/buyer want to buy a good power supply with 5 years warranty, only to have to upgrade it in a year or so again?
Won't they be better off spending a little more now- maybe wait and save for it if need be.

Also, irrespective of who can run a 5870 or something "beautifully" on a VX450 or not, it's recommended to use a good quality psu with 2x PCIe power connectors native for GPUs that need that.
Even if not needed now, the second PCIe connector falls into that "headroom" portion too.
A good quality PSU with some headroom is higher priority imho than any other upgrade.

All said, buying a good quality power supply with some headroom is always a great investment and never overspending imho.
Some have been through multiple PSU upgrade cycles, despite having good PSUs, due to multiple and frequent upgrades and may agree with me.

Please do not let budget constraints of someone impose constraints on correctness of thoughts and restrict you from suggesting what's correct and recommended.
If the user ignores correct advice, it is a risk they take- no one else can be held reponsible for that but the user himself/herself.
Good forums exist to provide the "appropriate/suitable" suggestions but not at the expense of correctness/safety/reliability.

^^ Wow , good philosophical quotes :) .

I agree about investing in a good PSU , but not all have the luxury to spend high amounts , so they have to be satisfied with what they have , and that is where we come , to advise them the best possible solution for their budget . Many like me know that after a particular upgrade there wont be anymore future upgrade , say for 2 years or so .

So for OP , if you can spend more then you know what 2 do . If you cant spend anything more then go for Gtx260 +vx450 or 5770 + current Psu provided it is not faulty . Also you did not mention which resolution you would be gaming ?

Well, I have recently purchased a AOC 2036sa (1600 X 900). I don't think I can go beyond a 5770 + vx550 which is just below Rs:15000 I guess.

there are two types of people

some who scrimp on psu and cry later on

some who overspend on psu citing "future proof" and what not

well i am neither

i dont scrimp, nor do i overspend

i hope the op too is in my category of people:)

Kalopsia said:
I'm not a hardcore gamer. Eventhough I've seen reviews where 5770 being better than my old 4850, I'm a a little worried about the 128 bit memory interface on the 5770s. But everytime I see a 5850, it's telling 'Come and get me' and I could only sigh, that it won't fit into my budget of 14k. :( So much for quitting a job and moving to my dad's place.

It's probably be a 5770 + Vx 550.

Good choice/balance Kalopsia. :hap2:

The 5770 is 128-bit but GDDR5- please do read up some reviews of the 5770 to understand better.

May i ask- why not the GTX460 that so many are thinking of getting now?

The 5770 is a slight upgrade over the 4850 Sonic you had.

A GTX460/5850 will make a good upgrade.

I hope someone gifts you some more moolah to grab the card you truly want. :)

Have the prices on the 5850 dropped locally and what is the price now?

The 5870 i think has become a little cheaper than it used to be?

rohan_mhtr said:
^^ Wow , good philosophical quotes :) .

No- reality. :)

Hopefully, you may get it some day but unfortunately, when it has already bitten you.

rohan_mhtr said:
I agree about investing in a good PSU , but not all have the luxury to spend high amounts , so they have to be satisfied with what they have , and that is where we come , to advise them the best possible solution for their budget . Many like me know that after a particular upgrade there wont be anymore future upgrade , say for 2 years or so .

You just speak for self and no one else and no one may do so for no one else either.

The OP is already moving from a Palit 4850 Sonic (2xPCIe connectors?).

If someone can afford to have a 4850 Sonic at one point of time and can fford a 5770 now or higher, they surely can afford buy a good psu accordingly.

Imho, if one cannot afford a good PSU, they don't deserve a good GPU. :cool2:

I have only "suggested" a VX550 at the least and theTX650 or higher- they are not expensive PSUs for the well-informed enthusiast imho.

I have not tried to shove my personal poverty/budget-restriction on anyone else and settle for something barely adequate for the moment or vice-versa.

What i hadn't said explicitly is "higher as budget may allow" but i thought most people on forums are smart and would know that.

^ Please ignore that- i speak in monotone. :p

And pointless for you maybe, helpful for someone else hopefully. :)

How can one be the judge of whether they have scrimped on the budget or overspent? It's relative, ain't it?

Esp someone who thinks buying a VX550 is overspending.

May i request the mods to please clean up this thread. :)

pegasus said:
Goo

No- reality. :)

Hopefully, you may get it some day but unfortunately, when it has already bitten you.

You just speak for self and no one else and no one may do so for no one else either.

Wow another philosophical quote :eek:hyeah: , i should write it down somewhere . Ok the PSU discussion is a old topic on this forum with no end and you r new here , just search and you will find some epic threads .

If i build my system taking in mind future upgrades , then i will have to start with Corsair 1200W HX , i am sure after 4 years i will use a sli rig .

Offtopic : Are u a literature teacher , cause i know some1 who talks like this :p

Peace :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pegasus said:
What i hadn't said explicitly is "higher as budget may allow" but i thought most people on forums are smart and would know that.

Yeah and some are oversmart , they buy a mini bus for a family of 3 .

rohan_mhtr said:
Wow another philosophical quote :eek:hyeah: , i should write it down somewhere . Ok the PSU discussion is a old topic on this forum with no end and you r new here , just search and you will find some epic threads .

If i build my system taking in mind future upgrades , then i will have to start with Corsair 1200W HX , i am sure after 4 years i will use a sli rig .

Offtopic : Are u a literature teacher , cause i know some1 who talks like this :p

Peace :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Yeah and some are oversmart , they buy a mini bus for a family of 3 .

Please do not make a mountain out of a mole-hill.

funkysourav and rohan_mhtr and anyone else for that matter who wants to keep arguing to satiate their egos-

Please read the entire thread again.

People came here and posted their suggestions.

I did the same- made a statement on it's own that had no effect/bearing on anyone else's comments.

i didn't nitpick on anyone else's comments.

funkysourav was the first one to say that buying VX550 is overspending.

I didn't begin the debate.

You intruded in my discussion with funkysourav to whom i only replied when he directly replied or took objection to my suggestion.

People like you'll may be the reason why the real gurus of TE i had heard of are not so active here anymore.

Please do not turn this place into something where members are unsure of how reliable the members or the suggestions posted are.

Please use your free time to guide the ignorant/needy and do not waste your and my time.

Back