Audio A decent subwoofer

balashome

Disciple
I am looking to expand my 2.0 system to a 2.1 by adding a budget subwoofer which adds decent lows for music as well as movies. The accent sways slightly towards music in a 60:40 ratio.

The contenders here are:

Polk PSW 110
Sonodyne Roarr
Torvin (Torvin Audio Systems)

The MS 309i and the Wharfedale SW150 are also available but are slightly more costlier.

What are your thoughts? Would the Polk PSW 110 do a decent job even if it only touches a low of 35 hz?

The Sonodyne Professional sub looks quite terrible, but performs well above the levels of the Roarr subs.

I'm not much of a sub person but I'd take a studio sub over a home sub any day. they seem optimised towards smaller spaces and have less overhang than home models, which are more focused towards the first impression.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago

I auditioned the Torvin, Polk and wharfedale

my final take was Polk Pro 400/500 > Wharfedale SW 200 (or was it 150) >> Polk PSW > Torvin

(notice the double >> b/w the wharfedale and Polk PSW which signifies a substantial difference)

As for the prices, you can bargain hard with the Pro FX folks to get a good discount on the Polk Pro

the Polk Pro has very tight bass

Of the kind that most people will not hear the sub when in 2.1 mode, until you switch it off which is when you will feel something is amiss

The PSW on the other hand makes its presence felt :) but i don't mean that in a good way since it makes its presence felt by its boominess and lack of tighness

That is very useful information, Superczar. But even with the bargaining I dont know if the Pro 400/500 would fit in my budget. I think the Pro series is closer to 20K. But I will go take the demo and see how it goes.

Thank you.

Folks - I have not yet had the chance to take a demo of the Polk subwoofers. In the meanwhile some interesting options had come up on which your expert opinion would be very helpful.

For your consideration, my room size is 10 X 12.

Polk PSW 505 - 10000 Rs.

Paradigm PDR 10 (used) - 9000 Rs.

Would the Polk PSW 505 completely overpower everything in my room given the size?

Also is the used Paradigm a good deal? I read somewhere that in a 10 X12 room there is no need of a subwoofer if the bookshelf speakers are of good quality. Is that true?

Personally speaking while I certainly dont miss a sub in my music, I do miss it for movies. What are your thoughts on the above options?

@chaos,
i misquoted the rates for the subs,One that I wrote about in my previous post were magic cubes.
Pro subs are in budget range somewhat,pro sub1000 costs 499$.
Which one u got a chance to listen?any reviews and avilabililty in India.

tanvirgill said:
Are they officailly available in India?

@Chaos
Def Tech Pro Subs are quite expensive just checked the site,Good price they command?

Yes, Tanvir - they are officially available in India. Although the option that I was thinking of was a used one.

Bump bump anybody? Am copy pasting my previous post.

"Folks - I have not yet had the chance to take a demo of the Polk subwoofers. In the meanwhile some interesting options had come up on which your expert opinion would be very helpful.

For your consideration, my room size is 10 X 12.

Polk PSW 505 - 10000 Rs.

Paradigm PDR 10 (used) - 9000 Rs.

Would the Polk PSW 505 completely overpower everything in my room given the size?

Also is the used Paradigm a good deal? I read somewhere that in a 10 X12 room there is no need of a subwoofer if the bookshelf speakers are of good quality. Is that true?

Personally speaking while I certainly dont miss a sub in my music, I do miss it for movies. What are your thoughts on the above options?"

Just to update this thread with my final purchase - I got an EPOS ELS Subwoofer.

Simply put it is head and shoulders above any of the subs discussed and any other sub that I had auditioned including a Monitor Audio Gold series sub. It has only been a few days but I am thoroughly impressed by the musicality of the sub.

The best part is that when the sub contributes it does not stick out like a sore thumb and a lot of the contribution is felt rather than heard. It is exactly what I wanted in terms of adding weight to the lower end of my Alphas while not adding any noise.

For music I have not heard a better subwoofer. However for sheer home theatre purposes, I believe I have heard better. The EPOS is good but not earth shaking.

Again all my impressions are without overdriving the sub and at very medium volumes. Right now the sub is breaking in and I should have a better report in say a month or so. Thank you for everybody's suggestions.

Back