Camera A few questions about sony NEX3 camera

arrow004

Disciple
not so long ago i purchased a Panasonic TZ10.Overall am very happy with the camera but thinking abt purchasing something better.particularly want that bokeh effect.So after some research have almost made up my mind to purchase a sony nex-3 camera with 18-55 mm lens.But i have a few concerns nevertheless.Hopefully someone here can clear those:-

1) firstly sony is an interchangeable lens camera and as per some is a high possibility of dust particles settling on the sensor.now what are the chances of dust particles settling on the sensor even if i don't remove the lens from the camera often.Also is this covered by warranty--i mean if this happens will sony remove those free of charge??

2) Secondly since i don't know a whole lot abt cameras will be mostly using the iauto mode. But from reviews it seems more often than not nex-3 takes overexposed images(sony doesn't allow exposure control in iauto mode).Now can i correct those using software s like lightroom or picasa?? What are the trade offs involved ??

3)Can anyone tell me how good is the macro mode using the supplied 18-55mm lens ??

4)I am used to motorized zoom on the simple P&Z. Will the manual zoom be an issue?

Although c3 is gonna release in india(soon?) if i am not wrong it is not a major improvement over nex3 nd with the price currently touching 19.5k may not be a bad deal at all. Infact many travel zom cameras come close to that price range. What do you people think?

And most importantly how do you make sure you don't end up with a bad kit lens?

Pls reply fast.

Well i think the long term DSLR owners in this forum can answer your 1st and perhaps 3rd question.

The NEX-C3 doesn't overexpose its currently has the best APS-C size sensor,its has more customizable controls afaik ,it has improved battery life and video recording limit to heat ratio.It even more compact and has improved grip based on reviews.
But whether it will be released in india well with the current floods in thailand all Sony cameras,television supplies have been hit.

I do believe the current NEX-3 is on a clearance sale.

You can always adjust the settings in PASM mode so that it doesn't over exposure,no idea about the use of software corrections like lightroom ,to date i haven't touched them.

18-55mm lens should have it limits,it cannot get as close as you do it in your P&S camera like you TZ-10.

The macro capabilities of that lens are not good at all. Please remember that all interchangeable lens cameras have interchangeable lens's for different uses. Macro will be as good or as bad as any point and shoot.

Dust has not been a big issue for me till date, specially as I keep the body either covered with a cap or the lens on it.

There are lots of options in the nex cameras, so over exposure will not be an issue. you can tone it up or down as per your requirements.

The zoom is very easy to use...

But from what I am able to understand from your post, you seem to want to buy this camera just for the price. Its got a learning curve and once you figure that out, you will really enjoy using it as compared to a P&S. BUT, you need to be prepared to spend the time to learn about the camera and how it works.

I also moved from a P&S 6-8 months ago to the nex-5 and after spending some time with the kit lens, I got a 50 mm 1.4 and a 28mm 2.8 macro manual lens's to use with the camera with an adapter. I am really having a lot of fun using these lens's and I guess I am learning a lot more about photography in the process.

Manual legacy lens's are very cheap and adapters are cheap as well. If you need macro a lot, then you should invest in a lens and adapter.

Thx mav.The reason i wanted this camera is because i need something better than a point and shoot but don't want the bulk and complexities on a DSLR. Besides i heard that it has an excellent iauto mode as well as fully manual mode.So will start with iauto and move to manual at a later stage when i get more time.

I got a 50 mm 1.4 and a 28mm 2.8 macro manual lens's to use with the camera with an adapter. I am really having a lot of fun using these lens's and I guess I am learning a lot more about photography in the process.

Manual legacy lens's are very cheap and adapters are cheap as well. If you need macro a lot, then you should invest in a lens and adapter.

Ya maybe buying a macro lens makes sense.Since the macro lens offered by sony are very expensive i guess your option is much better. So what macro and adapter are u using and where to source it from? Also which 28mm 2.8 macro lens and adapter are u using?

One more question:-With that 50 mm 1.4 lens are you able to achieve background defocus(bokeh effect) even when the subject and the background are fairly close to each other ??

Back