A furniture query

vantheman5211

Creator of fu*ktron
Skilled
Guys I have decided to revamp my setup in my room to freshen things up a bit.

I am looking for a kind of table which it seems is popularly knows as a " corner computer table"
I havent had much luck of finding it in Hometown and similar stores. Can anyone tell me where can I find one in Mumbai.

4TVa1.jpg

I want something like this abeit a little smaller.

That looks like a really easy table to make.
Buy a piece of 6*3 18mm plywood, draw out your table, and get a carpenter to cut and laminate it for you.
Add any legs you want, and you're set. Shouldn't cost you more than Rs.5000.

That looks like a really easy table to make.
Buy a piece of 6*3 18mm plywood, draw out your table, and get a carpenter to cut and laminate it for you.
Add any legs you want, and your set. Shouldn't cost you more than Rs.5000.

Really mate? Under 5 k it would be fantastic!
I have never been much of a furniture guy and this is going to be my first purchase. Is it possible to make this one without the legs?

5K seems to be a tough call :D, will be in the range of 5-10k depending on the carpenter :)

Hire some good carpenter, show him the pic and ask him to make similar one for you. He might be able to add some storage below in accordance to your needs.

Its just ply and laminate, but still making such things costs alot, even though they look cheap

5K seems to be a tough call :D, will be in the range of 5-10k depending on the carpenter :)

Hire some good carpenter, show him the pic and ask him to make similar one for you. He might be able to add some storage below in accordance to your needs.

Its just ply and laminate, but still making such things costs alot, even though they look cheap

I was thinking of teh storage part myself mate. It would be easy to slot a couple of draws underneath i believe and those would help keep the clutter of the desk.

Good quality bwp plywood sheet costs you around 2000-2500 + add veener or laminates of your choice + labour.
And as per pic single plywood sheet wont do. You will need atleast 2.

1) You can wall mount your desk using t-angles...all you'll need is a drill and some screws. You'll need 3-4 angles, which should come for about Rs.200-400 each. Place them so that they're under your desk and invisible.
2) 18mm Marine Plywood should cost about 90-170 bucks a sq ft. - so a 6*3 board should come for Rs.1700-3500
3) A laminate sheet should cost about Rs.1000, but you'll get better quality for more, obviously.
4) You can add a small shelf near where your monitor will sit so that you can sleep mount your cabinet below the desk, out of sight, and without too much cable clutter.
5) Skirting to cover the thin edge of the ply wood should come for less than Rs. 1000
6) The labour cost for cutting the wood. laminating it, adding the skirting and mounting your desk shouldn't be more than Rs.1500-2000.

So I guess I was wrong when I said Rs. 5000, but Rs. 8000 should be do-able.

I found a rate list for marine ply online, check out this dealer in Chembur
http://www.ojasdekor.com/price_list.htm

Hmm, if you are not in a hurry and you are not concerned about the weight, I guess you can do it with concrete. And if you are a DIY fan, there are plenty of options to give it the color and finish of wood veneers. Takes times and a bit of work, but the result is cheaper, long lasting and really looks good. Did this for my kitchen racks a decade ago and it still remains safe and strong.
What you would need, though, is a frame (like a mould to pour the concrete it, the bottom can be newspapers and just the sides need to hold the concrete), some wiremesh , some sand and baby-jelly granite gravel. And since it is a corner version, you could chip the wall along the line of the desk top and make a groove to fit in the angled piece. And of course, L-angles need to be really strong. The downside is, you need to have time and space for the concrete curing. (I believe there would be DIY videos online under "Concrete countertops" for you to see how it is made). Roughly the cost should be less than 2000.

Ah, yes, logical thinker, from one corner to another :D
Hey, Kippu. Devil's advocate.. he is getting a piece of ply to make a desk .. suspend it at the corners and use angles to support it.. you think he wants to use it for his laptop base? :p
Well, you are right though, the thing with all these pre-fab concrete things is that you cannot move it around too much.. the saving is in cost and looks which last long.. I was averse to it myself. Ferroconcrete doors and furniture.. gah, needed supports and hinges that should have been made of carbon compound.. that heavy.. But things have changed over the years.. can use glass fibres instead of steel rebars to make it lighter.. hell, someone even used paper as a filler..
And, hey, Kippu, my own house is an example.. made of filler slab, soil-cement concrete and lots of Laurie Baker tips. Well, it is 14 years now and I still like it.. 2400 sft built at the cost of a 800 sft home in those days.. these day? good night.. it would probably cost 8 times as much.

Back