Laptops A Lappy Recommendation

x86

Skilled
Dec 30, 2005
What's your Budget? <60k

What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (e.g. web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming) -- CSS/Farcry and ofcourse NFS races and stuffs gaming is obvious surgin networking are common a multipurpose one.

What size and weight considerations do you have? (e.g. Do you want a 17" desktop replacement or you want an ultraportable 12" or something in between) i want a 14.1 inch WS WXGA or a 13.3 inch.it whud have a native high resolution and the screen shud be the best thing to consider.
Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? (e.g some would prefer to stay away from Acer or Dell) I prefer Hp for their warranty...wont regret goin to dell after some research.

Any other considerations? (e.g Battery life; Widescreen/non-widescreen; Glossy/Matte screen etc.) it better have dual battery capacity battery life expected around 3 to 4 hours minimum.the screen shud be drop dead glorious thing to consider.the best part shud be the screen.

other considerations : tough build quality
Sata HDD
core 2 duo
x1400 ati if possible :(
dvd rw is a must and a gig ram.
wifi : b/g "n" any one?

I want to buy this 3 months from now wont mind waiting 6 if it worth it.so got around 2 months for research.my frnd wants a similar config but he need it urgent say a month from now.

friedclyde

Adept
Nov 15, 2005
core2duo is already available on www.dell.co.in and a few other companies are selling a few models with them, lenovo india has one and i think compaq has one....but acer has none. I guess acer would be the least priced core2duo........... im waiting for a month i guess....i hope the prices will come down by then.

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
D-Uh,,,they are Core Duos (Yonah), not Core2Duo (Merom)

Core2Duo laptops will still take another month to hit the more mature markets, and maybe 2 to hit India

x86

Skilled
Dec 30, 2005
err if the performance diff between core 2 duos and core duos wont be much i guess it'll be much wiser to opt for core duos.

mjp1618

Disciple
Jan 7, 2006
Well, the performance difference between Yonah and Merom (stupid move by Intel to name Yonah Core :mad: ) won't be too much. But the point is, Merom will be a better performer, have better battery life, and still cost the same (well, almost) as Yonah.

And, you want to buy this three months later, right? (Your friend can settle for the Yonah.) And, you have a pretty good budget too. So, I think you should get a Merom.:)

Six months? Then I would probably advise you to wait for Santa Rosa (faster FSB, Robson(?), etc. :D )

Brands? I would recommend getting a Macbook. I really like Mactels now that you can boot Windows, and even run Windows in Mac OS via Virtualization.. :)

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Santa Rosa is not out till mid '07, so that's like a year long wait...But yes, If someone wants to buy a laptop now , Yonah is good enough, but a couple of months later, the 10-15% better performance on the Merom makes theMerom a better buy (Hopefully at the same price)

As for the current Yonah's, the 14" Dell 640m is perhaps teh best buy @ ~50K for a T2400 based one

Additionally, AFAIK, all 14" currently on the Indian market are based on the GMA 950 GFX chipset (or the Radeon 200m which is marginally better than the GMA950)

However, since you are also looking at 13.3" and 12.1" ers, The Vaio SZ and the Dell M1210 (both use a Go7400) may fir the bill for you!

x86

Skilled
Dec 30, 2005
abbe yaar there are certain security issues with carrying desktop in college even though i might stay in my cousin sisters flat whos also studying there.
but still its portable DUH! i'd come like home every 2 months atkeast as its only 12 hours journey so i'd have to carry around desktops a pain ....
plus u can carry ur lap in colege campuses specially during lab sessions...
but i'm seriously thinking if i shud buy now or some months later as the first semester no use of lappy. :)
btw scrap ur yucky desktop sumeet its high time for you to upgrade with conroe ..in da club.

Sourabh

Disciple
Mar 25, 2005
Contact Asus India for W3J availability, Its custom made for your needs! If it is indeed in stock, then you can very well consider it. I guess it costs around 77k but also has nicer features, nice 2 yrs hardware warranty, x1600 graphics. I dont think there is any point in waiting for the prices to get down over a few months, they would be the same if stocks last.

Reactions: 1 person

x86

Skilled
Dec 30, 2005
sumeet considering you wont be outside for your home for next 3 years as ur doing ur bsc in calcutta only and also considering if u intend going abroad 3 + 1 year = 4 years in calcutta having a lappy wud be a waste of money.
buy a good desktop.
i suggest u create a diff new thread for this but i'll suggest for you to go for a conroe 6300 + asus mobo combo with 2 gb ddr2 ram and buy a second hand gfx card and wait a while while the dx 10 card comes.
u'll get a very good setup well within 40k excluding monitor since u have a good 17 inch one.
nice information there sourabh .. i'll check it out if they have one in 14.1 wxga variants x1600 is a very good stuff :D.

x86

Skilled
Dec 30, 2005
Whoa awesome lappy there sourabh.. repped ya.
i'll research more into that since asus is new in laptop arema.
but awesome find!!