Budget 0-20k A mechanical keyboard

Ir0nMerc

Disciple
I have only used membrane keyboards all my life. The Microsoft wired desktop 500 keyboard and mouse combo. It was cheap and worked.
Now I am thinking about trying a mechanical keyboard.

Can you suggest an affordable yet durable mechanical keyboard. I will need a keyboard with num pad.

I have read about it but don't really understand the different key types in mechanical keyboard. As far as I understand it's about sound of key press. So please also suggest which key type will be better for a new user who want to start using mechanical keyboards.

It's not just sound difference between key types. The feel is also different. If you're new, I'll suggest going with brown switches. If you buy a hot swappable one, you can try out different key types. Check out keychron.

Generally speaking, there are three types of key switches.

1. Clicky - You feel a tactile bump and hear a clicky sound. eg. Blue switches.

2. Tactile - You feel a tactile bump but no clicky sound. eg. Brown switches.

3. Linear - No tactile bump, no sound. eg. Red switches.

It all comes down to personal preference.

What category do tvs keyboard fall under,? Clicky?
I have seen one with Blue switches. Long Hua Blue IIRC. I'm not sure if the keyboard is available in other switch options as well but I'm sure they are available with Blue switches.

Can you suggest an affordable yet durable mechanical keyboard. I will need a keyboard with num pad.
Have a look at Royal Kludge RK98 and RK100 on genesispc.in, see what fits you better. They have hot swappable switches so you can change switches from one type to another later on.

They are pretty versatile, have 2.4GHz, Bluetooth and wired modes. Windows and Mac support.

Last edited:
My bad! didn't see you're asking for key types :android:
I am also asking for keyboard recommendations. I saw people invest 7-20k in these keyboards on here and on reddit but don't want to spend much at this moment. So looking for a good keyboard on cheaper side.

Generally speaking, there are three types of key switches.

1. Clicky - You feel a tactile bump and hear a clicky sound. eg. Blue switches.

2. Tactile - You feel a tactile bump but no clicky sound. eg. Brown switches.

3. Linear - No tactile bump, no sound. eg. Red switches.

It all comes down to personal preference.
Thank you for explaining. And this is kinda what I understood from reading all about it in the past but what I meant was, I don't know what it feels like to use each type of keys or if one is better than others. That's why I wanted to ask for recommendations from you experts about which type would you recommend to a person who wants to start using a mechanical keyboard.

Thank you for explaining. And this is kinda what I understood from reading all about it in the past but what I meant was, I don't know what it feels like to use each type of keys or if one is better than others. That's why I wanted to ask for recommendations from you experts about which type would you recommend to a person who wants to start using a mechanical keyboard.
Most people are okay with Brown switches.

I initially got Blue one and later changed to Brown switches thinking I would like it better but I missed the clicky sound and now I'm thinking of going back to Blue.

You can order a switch tester, this is OOS, find something similar. Edit: It is available here.

You would get more precise suggestions if you tell your budget.

Last edited:
Two things to keep in mind:
1: Are you a heavy handed typist or light handed? Meaning do you have fat fingers and do you bottom out keys hard, or do you have slim fingers and like to put minimal effort while typing?
2: How much sensitive are you regarding noise?

If you don't want to spend much behind a mechanical keyboard, I would suggest to stick with membranes. Any membranes will give you higher/on par typing speed compared to even the most expensive mech.

I am also asking for keyboard recommendations. I saw people invest 7-20k in these keyboards on here and on reddit but don't want to spend much at this moment. So looking for a good keyboard on cheaper side.
Best go for rk, gk based boards. They are pretty good prebuilt for the price. Even dragon k552 is good only if you want to continue same board and if you modify it enough you can bring it your sound and feels.

If you want a solid keyboard, make sure it's Hotswap, mechanical ( not optical)

Is ~5k budget good enough? I don't want to spend more for the first keyboard.

Also it doesn't have to be wireless.
The model I suggested costs 6.2k but you get so much for the price. You get the option to change switches on the same keyboard. You get wired + wireless BT + wireless dongle option on the same keyboard. Software support. It is fully customisable. It is like a complete package and most likely you won't be needing another keyboard anytime after.

There are other keyboard aswell. Check RedDragon.in, keychron.in, meckeys.com, and genesispc.in

What category do tvs keyboard fall under,? Clicky?
Very very very very very click and insanely noisy.
I have only used membrane keyboards all my life. The Microsoft wired desktop 500 keyboard and mouse combo. It was cheap and worked.
Now I am thinking about trying a mechanical keyboard.

I have read about it but don't really understand the different key types in mechanical keyboard. As far as I understand it's about sound of key press. So please also suggest which key type will be better for a new user who want to start using mechanical keyboards.
Check Keychron models. I got k2 v2 and am super happy.

Are you using K2V2 with Bluetooth on Windows? If yes, how is your overall experience? Do you game with it? Does it stutter/hang (over Bluetooth) when you press multiple keys (3 or more) at once?
Yes. Bluetooth on windows sucks. Mac OS works fine.

sdfsdfasdcvbret
Are you using K2V2 with Bluetooth on Windows? If yes, how is your overall experience? Do you game with it? Does it stutter/hang (over Bluetooth) when you press multiple keys (3 or more) at once?
I use a controller or Logi G29 for gaming. Did use keyboard earlier and had no issues. Have no issues with the keyboard till now. If you do not want to use BT, you can connect the keyboard to windows using USB cable and use it as a wired keyboard. You can also connect the keyboard to up to three devices using bluetooth and swith between them by pressing Fn+1 to Fn+3.

No stutter when I press three keys at same time. Using Windows 11.

Back