Less than 10K A new mobile for around 10000, basic requirements: Navigation, Email, Battery life

screamingskulls

Recruit
Oct 24, 2012
Questions:-
1. Budget?
A: 10k
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Any
3. Preferred display type?
A: IPS
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: any of the brand, as long as it is reliable
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required atleast a 5MP camera. Flash.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.,Wifi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Navigation, Camera, mails and internet.
10. Any other requirements?
A: Offline navigation is a must. Dual sim if possible but not the necessity.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Xolo q700i / Xolo X910. Not sure about Xolo's reliability though, but at this price point this seems the only option. Huawei seems reliable but most phones in this range have got 512 MB ram.

I have heard that mediatek processor mobiles are not very good at the navigation aspect as it takes ages to get a lock for offline navigation. Is it true??

On the flip side there's Huawei Y300 with the qualcomm processor in this price range, but it has got only 512Mb ram.

Please suggest.

ayanavish

- binned -
Skilled
Nov 19, 2008
Bangalore
Did you check the P770 from Lenovo, their USP is the battery - a bit over your budget though. There's a review here too. http://www.techenclave.com/communit...e-lenovo-p770-unboxed-and-benchmarked.146326/

And if you don't want to stick to Android, you can go for Lumia 520 (around 7.5K) or wait for Lumia 525 (should be around 10K), which would tick most of your requirements. 520 - Good display, Quite fast, decent daylight camera (no flash), great offline navigation, 3G+wifi, decent battery, Nokia music store, etc.

screamingskulls

Recruit
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for the prompt reply..Though i want to try out windows mobile at some stage, right now i am just looking at android as i have some apps which i use & they are only available on android. I have read that lenovo p770 doesnt have a good camera & its costs a bit more than my budget.

Is it true that mediatek mobiles are not so good at offline gps navigation?? Also how is xolo x910 with intel processor.

kidrow

Adept
Feb 10, 2009
I would say stay away from Xolo & any other Indian brands if you're wanting reliability. (unless you get a fantastic deal or there's a feature you can't live without or you are a gambler, :))

Just click on the 1 star reviews of the Xolo x910 on flipkart. If that doesn't give you the jitters, you're a Man of Steel!

Since you are open to Huawei, you might also be open to Alcatel/TCL. The Scribe Easy AFAIK does have a Qualcomm processor. +ve: 5 inch, Unibody, 2500mah, dragontrail, JB; -ve: Res, 512mb Ram, Alcatel, :( .
Just some food for thought since I know about it. Not recommending as such. So please do more research if interested.

Last edited:

swatkats

Skilled
Jul 16, 2011
Hyderabad
Just click on the 1 star reviews of the Xolo x910 on flipkart. If that doesn't give you the jitters, you're a Man of Steel!
I am surprised to see that there are people who actually Read Non certified buyers reviews. Do you have any idea who are these Dudes? Competitors. Period.
I have asked flipkart to remove such Reviews and not to allow Reviews from Non Buyers. Seems they're not interested.

kidrow

Adept
Feb 10, 2009
I am surprised to see that there are people who actually Read Non certified buyers reviews. Do you have any idea who are these Dudes? Competitors. Period.
I have asked flipkart to remove such Reviews and not to allow Reviews from Non Buyers. Seems they're not interested.

You do have a valid point.

Though in the case of mobile phones, I tend to believe them because such -ve experiences are corroborated on other tech forums as well. Also the language isn't consistent & many deal with specifics. So if it is competitors then they have employed some very smart people to do the job. Besides weren't there a few instances of -ve reviews posted by registered buyers being removed by FK?

To each his own. My only intention was to alert the OP.

screamingskulls

Recruit
Oct 24, 2012
Still not able to decide for a mobile less than 10K, saw huawei g600 for Rs.6200 on saholic..but was sold out..
Do qualcomm processor mobile offer better performance than mediatek ones?? especially for navigation, i have read a lot about mediatek processor mobiles dont connect easily to gps satellites.

rohan_mhtr

Adept
May 9, 2009
Just telling you my vote on Lenovo P770 because i just got it for my father as a gift around 2 months ago .
The phone has amazing battery life but till date it was not able to lock to any satellite for navigation , and i stay in mumbai ! Just to let you know since navigation is your requirement . Also display is not that good compared to other phones in this budget .

blkrb0t

It's Nothing Personal
Skilled
Nov 3, 2010
Skynet
Asking them to remove reviews, which they've clearly mentioned to be non-certified, is a very ignorant move indeed. What if I want to base my decision on those reviews?

Deleting reviews is a bad practice. Period. Just notify users whether the reviewer has bought the product from their website or not. Amazon has verified purchase tag; Flipkart has certified buyer.

swatkats

Skilled
Jul 16, 2011
Hyderabad
Asking them to remove reviews, which they've clearly mentioned to be non-certified, is a very ignorant move indeed. What if I want to base my decision on those reviews?

Deleting reviews is a bad practice. Period. Just notify users whether the reviewer has bought the product from their website or not. Amazon has verified purchase tag; Flipkart has certified buyer.
I've Requested them twice to Disable the privilege to non Buyers to Write Reviews. Customer buying the product in a hurry won't see all that Tags and I don't Feel its ignorant move because who are these non certified buyers Reviewing products without purchasing/ first hand experience. Just plain Competitor's Bullshit. Agree?

Brendon

Skilled
Mar 21, 2005
I've Requested them twice to Disable the privilege to non Buyers to Write Reviews. Customer buying the product in a hurry won't see all that Tags and I don't Feel its ignorant move because who are these non certified buyers Reviewing products without purchasing/ first hand experience. Just plain Competitor's Bullshit. Agree?

Not all non verified buyers are people who haven't purchased their phone. There are millions of places to buy mobile phones in India and online sales are a fraction of non online sales. Its highly possible some of these non verified users have purchased the brand offline and are genuine reviewers.

swatkats

Skilled
Jul 16, 2011
Hyderabad
Not all non verified buyers are people who haven't purchased their phone. There are millions of places to buy mobile phones in India and online sales are a fraction of non online sales. Its highly possible some of these non verified users have purchased the brand offline and are genuine reviewers.
Let those millions of users comment on other platforms such as Mouthshut and other Review forums.
I Don't care if those users are genuine or not, It's a improper practice that a site is allowing non buyers to review a product.
If you have time, do bother to read those.. Just plain crap.. It always looked to me as if company is building a product in beta stage and these guys are Requesting to add some features and choose Better hardware. I hope you get what i'm trying to say.

Brendon

Skilled
Mar 21, 2005
Let those millions of users comment on other platforms such as Mouthshut and other Review forums.
I Don't care if those users are genuine or not, It's a improper practice that a site is allowing non buyers to review a product.
If you have time, do bother to read those.. Just plain crap.. It always looked to me as if company is building a product in beta stage and these guys are Requesting to add some features and choose Better hardware. I hope you get what i'm trying to say.

Most of what they have said are what many users have experienced. GPS not working is very common and a friend of mine has a Q800 and while cycling the GPS shows he travels at 1000 kmph.

Service issues with not only Xolo but Micromax and other Indian Chinese brands are very very common and not at all out of place. Sure there are horror stories with big brands like Samsung, Apple, Sony etc but those are pretty rare and not the norm.

I have a few friends on Xolo and Micromax and while hardly 30% have had to avail service almost 90% of them were very dissatisfied with the service. Other than that a majority aren't happy with the build quality of the phones but unfortunately the big brands give us very crappy phones at sub 15k levels so they live with the problems that they face.

rajkanwar321

Recruit
Dec 10, 2013
Mumbai
My uncle is using xolo and it seems a good phone however. I would suggest you to check on flipkart they got some pretty cool exchange offers going on. If I would be in your place then I would have gone for Galaxy S Duos. Pretty good phone for that price.

Heart_h@cker

Recruit
Dec 11, 2013
Chennai
Better do not go for Xolo phones if you require durability and reliability,the build quality is not confidence inspiring.Couple of my friends have ended up with cracked screens due to minor falls which a Lumia 520 would survive easily.It is true that there is no excellent android phone less than 15k from the well reputed manufacturers.
Considering that you may try the Lenovo P770 which i felt was pretty solid to hold and has decent set of specs or else the only way is to migrate to WP since the Lumias can satisfy your requirements (barring apps) and have excellent build quality.

swapyworld

Adept
Sep 16, 2009
Mumbai
Samsung s duos i7582
dual core 1ghz, 768 mb ram, Jb4.2 out of the box...not a bad deal for 10.2k on ebay plus you can use 750/- off coupon from vodafone

Make sure it's i7582 and not i7562