A Plague Tale - Innocence. Terrible Micro Stuttering with good FPS.

sanz1112

Disciple
Hi guys, I just started my first playthrough of A plauge Tale Innocenece. The game is really beautiful in 4k Ultra, however I'm facing terrible micro stuttering in this game whenever I move camera (mouse)
My RIG is
i7-9700K
32GB DDR4 3000 Mhz CL14 RAM
RTX 3090
1000W Antec HCG extreme PSU
I'm getting good FPS between 65 to 100 but still it does not feel smooth and experiencing a lot of micro-stutters.
Before this completed GOW 2018 and Jedi Fallen Order noth worked perfectly fine.

Hello,

I had played the game on 1080p and faced similar stuttering issues. There are some fixes listed on this link below which you should try out and see if they solve the stuttering:

A Plague Tale: Innocence - Stuttering Fixes

In my case turning off V-Sync, AA and switching to Borderless display solved it. Try and lower Draw Distance to High from Maximum and see.

I faced the same stuttering on my RX-6800m irrespective of the resolution.
Game was awesome, so I somehow managed to finish the game with the stutters.

Game has problem wit hyperthreading in case of Intel or SMT in case of AMD. But your CPU doesn't support hyperthreading.

So, the stutters you are getting is due to Variable Frames unless your monitor/TV supports VRR.
Lock your Frames to 60FPS or 75FPS, whatever is your refresh rate. It will fix it.

For those having SMT, turn it off for this game using process lasso.

Game has problem wit hyperthreading in case of Intel or SMT in case of AMD. But your CPU doesn't support hyperthreading.

So, the stutters you are getting is due to Variable Frames unless your monitor/TV supports VRR.
Lock your Frames to 60FPS or 75FPS, whatever is your refresh rate. It will fix it.

Thanks, but I have a 4k 144hz display with VRR (Freesync Premium/Gsync compatible) shouldn't gsync would handle this problem of variable frames. I think the stuttering is happening because of something else.

It's probably game issue as others are saying they're facing similar issue. Is your ram dual channel? I used to have terrible frame drops till i changed to dual channel.

Thanks, but I have a 4k 144hz display with VRR (Freesync Premium/Gsync compatible) shouldn't gsync would handle this problem of variable frames. I think the stuttering is happening because of something else.

Did you try the fixes on the thread link I posted yet?

Played it in March-April this year on 12400F/3070/32GB @ 1080p 75Hz all settings maxed with vsync on. Butter smooth no issues.
Even had the game installed on HDD instead of SSD. Used Epic games version.

Cool, The Problem is due to Vsync.

First Turn off In-game VSync, and use Adaptive Half-Refresh Rate Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel.
If this doesn't work, try Low Latency mode to Ultra In Nvidia Control panel for this game ".exe".

If all of this doesn't work.
Then try NVIDIA 528.49 Driver. Clean Install it.

But don't use in-game Vsync. It's not properly implemented in their in-house engine.

I had played both the games on i5 7500/RTX 3070 / 32GB at full HD. It was super smooth. I was using the Gamepass version of the game. The first run took a while (like 10 mins ) on the loading screen. Thereafter the game was great.

@sanz1112 : Any updates? Were you able to solve the issue?
Yes. Tried many things yesterday evening as per the link you shared but nothing worked.
At last I just turned off Windows 10 HDR from display settings and turned off Geforce Experience's FPS counter and mysteriously all stuttering has disappeared. I'm now getting smooth gameplay. It's weird when I first turned off Geforce Experience alone stuttering was there but then I also turned off HDR from Windows and now it's smooth no stuttering

I forgot to mention I don't use GFE at all. I don't install it with the driver. Absolute trash and telemetry nightmare it is.
Also if you haven't already figured this out, in Windows you should disable HAGS (if enabled), causes more issues than good.

HDR may or may not be the reason why you faced issues but with Nvidia I'm not sure anymore their drivers are absolute dog shit when it comes to open issues and the time it takes to fix them. Worse than AMD.

Last edited:

I have 240hz monitor so i lock my fps at 240?

Back