PC Peripherals A "reliable" 250gb drive

dummyuser

Disciple
Hi again !!

In most current reviews hitachi T7K250 has been voted the best performing 250 gb hdd but which do u think is more reliable

hitachi T7K250
or
Western Digital SE16 (WD2500KS)

Do u also have any idea about the currently prevailing prices of these drives in Delhi ??

A 250GB can be had for 5400-5800, but i dont know the exact price. But it will be well between these. Its for 5743 on Itdepot.

btw whts ur budget.

A WD 320GB can be had for 6200

I don't have a budget as such - just as much as a normal 250gb would cost .

I don't want to spend extra on a raid/mirror . I might prefer getting a 16mb buffer WD if the price difference between that and hitachi was not too much (yes i know hitachi is winning the benchmarks) but the major final deciding factor here would be reliabilaty .
( my other 4-5 seagates/maxtors have given me no probs. while i used them for about 4-5 years before disposing them off )

The Segate 250GB ST325006XXAS has 16MB cache , SATA II, NCQ.

Costs around 4400/- inclusive tax.

Its the Barracuda 7200.9 series drive.

Chaos said:
A 250gig Hitachi is around 4800 or so. Get two of them, mirror and have peace of mind ;)

Are those that cheap. Well then i would get those over the WD n seagate. Agrees with Chaos. Get 2 of them n have fun. You will then have 0.5TB of storage.

shado_chazzer_killer said:
Are those that cheap. Well then i would get those over the WD n seagate. Agrees with Chaos. Get 2 of them n have fun. You will then have 0.5TB of storage.
How can you both agree and disagree at the same time. He said get 2 HDD and MIRROR them, not use them together for 500GB. Mirroring means to replicate the data on both HDD via RAID. SO he still has 250GB even with 2 HDD.

Hi - people , like i already said , i don't want want to mirror as it still does not provide that much reliabilaty and i would try to backup my most important data on dvds - i just want my drive to last atleast 4-5 years - without crashes/bad sectors .

A little info on reliabilaty that i have gathered from online reviews :

User reviews on Newegg : I read first 50 reviews of both drives : WD - 2-3 (out of 50) drives stopped working within 1 year
Hitachi - 7-8 drives stopped working within 1 year

Storagereview reliabilaty survey : It indicates better reliabilaty of hitachi but says no. of samples too few

dummyuser said:
Hi - people , like i already said , i don't want want to mirror as it still does not provide that much reliabilaty ....
It does. Looking at the probability of both drives failing at once as against the chances of a single drive failing, you would theoretically get data reliability that goes by several orders of magnitude by mirroring.

Renegade said:
How can you both agree and disagree at the same time. He said get 2 HDD and MIRROR them, not use them together for 500GB. Mirroring means to replicate the data on both HDD via RAID. SO he still has 250GB even with 2 HDD.

Sorry for that. I will probably from now do some homework before posting some advises.:cool2:

regenade2 said:
The Segate 250GB ST325006XXAS has 16MB cache , SATA II, NCQ.
Costs around 4400/- inclusive tax.
Its the Barracuda 7200.9 series drive.

Are you sure that the seagate 250 gb HD with a 16 mb cache only costs Rs.4400???

Back