A sad day for Notion Ink. Adam gets a 3/10 rating on engadget

More like a "wake up call" rather than "sad day" for Notion Ink. Even the most experienced manufacturers in the same field at times get the same analysis so I wouldn't say its all that bad.

^True that but I think when Engadget came up with the preview (was it after the MWC?) they gave a pretty good preview appreciating the efforts and the device as a whole but turns out that the final one was disappointing.

^Engadget is biased towards Apple which is a known fact if you were following their reviews closely. And while they are at it, they seem to disregard other devices. The N8 doesn't definitely deserve a lowly 5 for what it is.

comp@ddict said:
^^ 1 IIM and 6 IIT graduates
imo a stamp of iit doesnt define anything.
--
though i'd still give them a chance. they are new. even apple stuttered, remember. maybe next time.

if engadget had such a huge apple bias, would the galaxy S2 have gotten the 9/10 then?

A classmate of mine is one of those IIT/IIM grads out there in charge of its apps. He's pretty much up there among the best I've known. But I'm not sure about the rest of his team.

greenhorn said:
my point is, occasionally, they do deem other phones worthy ones in a while :p
actually, you should take a look at the 'other phones' you are talking about :p

The SGSII is the FIRST non apple phone to get a 9/10 from them.. plasticky body and all.

I have been following the ADAM hype for almost two years.the indian media made a big deal out of these guys.they had a great idea two years ago with almost no competitors with android tablets.They hyped their strengths- pixel qi screen camera patent etc. BUT they failed badly in execution of the project.some points to ponder:

1.They were late to the market.they launched a mediocre product when everybody jumped on the android tablet bandwagon
2.They tried to target the US market exclusively. it is a very mature and competitive market .they got slaughtered by the competition.
3.unrefined product: too buggy.come on even motorola, RIM, microsoft have had poor product launches due to unrefined products despite having millions of ad dollars and big marketing machines.
4.Poor strategy; no proper distribution channels in ur primary market, no retail partnerships,no sales and service support.in a country where people can buy a product and can return it without any questions asked within a month and have defected pieces replaced immediately how was that going to play out?
5.poor product build quality.
6.design was outdated and unappealing before the launch.big bezel.thick.
7.Delay in launch meant that google wiped most of their gains with the honeycomb update for tablets.
8.I guess they tried to make perfect product but were too late to the party.
9.they targeted the geeks instead of mass market.usb mouse,revolving camera,over hyping pixel q i screen.
10.I think they should have been quick to the market with robust hardware and later rolled out software updates.they also should have tied up with some group inthe us for retail and support.

11.having put my thoughts to words,i can also safely say that we can all be arm chair generals now and over analyse the situation in hind sight.IT does not take away anything from the team for making ADAM possible with limited resources and no experience in india. we need such gutsy individuals to push innovation in India.I also think the team behind ADAM must have learned a lot from the venture and are fully capable of giving us better products and maybe some new innovation in the it world.best of luck to these guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back