Budget 20-25K A smartphone for a lady. EDIT: Bought Sony Xperia SP

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi,
I am currently on the hunt for a smartphone for my friend. Please check the info below and and suggest the best option ..

1. Q: Budget?
A: 25k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Any

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Want to buy only reputed manufacturer's mobile. No Chinese or Indian makes.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like frontcamera/flash/etc.
A: Required. Camera should be decent. Flash compulsory. Front cam is a must for making video calls over Wi-Fi.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or WP8 preferred

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G and Wi-Fi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, video calls, music player, mails and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim. White colour is a must. :p Local warranty preferred.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Nexus 4.

She is open to 2nd hand purchase too. Would a used galaxy s3 be possible in this budget? Please suggest.

^^
S4 won't arrive here before May(1st or 2nd week might be)... till thn how much price drop can be expected for S3 ??

Price drops aren't that much but yes it can hit a mark somewhere between 26-28k. If warranty is not an issue then you can also have a look at this :

http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-8MP-SAMS...nes&hash=item2328e49148&_uhb=1#ht_2096wt_1156

and if you do want warranty, this is the best i found on ebay! :

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-Gala...nes&hash=item3380a11762&_uhb=1#ht_1645wt_1156

Check them out!

Update...!
Discussed the various options with my friend. Also showed her the specs and images of each. Unfortunately, the lumia series is out due to lack of FM radio. :( She forgot to mention it the first time. As of now, she has her eyes set on the Xperia SL. Any major problems with this device? It is on sale in eBay for Rs.21680 with bill and warranty. Good deal?

no external battery

You could get an HTC One XL (AT&T's One X) for ~ 21-22k. Its all that the international version should have been.
SL is also a pretty good device but it should now be considered as a mid-range specced phone even the price tag suggests otherwise. An S3 chipset is definitely no longer high-end anymore. Consider the One X.
Its one sexy looking phone!

Update...!
Discussed the various options with my friend. Also showed her the specs and images of each. Unfortunately, the lumia series is out due to lack of FM radio. :( She forgot to mention it the first time. As of now, she has her eyes set on the Xperia SL. Any major problems with this device? It is on sale in eBay for Rs.21680 with bill and warranty. Good deal?
The next WP8 update will enable FM radio, it has been confirmed.

Go for the Xperia SL or wait a bit more for the Xperia SP to hit the market! I personally own an Xperia P and i love my phone! Battery backup with the 1305mAh battery is about a day but the SP has a 2305mAh battery so you will be well off! The SP also has a metallic finish like its predecessor P! So if you can wait a little more then the SP will be the best in this budget! Read this : http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_sp-review-909.php

@shanx As of now, we are waiting for the SP to be out in the markets. That illuminating light bar in the bottom of the phone has virtually sealed the deal for her. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah!!!! Xperia all the way man!! :) Glad to hear you are waiting for it! Its gonna be an awesome replacement for its cousin, P! And no matter what the reviews say i can vouch that the camera on it will be awesome ! I have a Xperia P and taking pics on it is better than almost all midrangers! Plus the notification led helps you to know what kind of event needs your attention!! So a little patience is gonna please your friend!! :) Cheers !!![DOUBLEPOST=1364389669][/DOUBLEPOST]@logistopath one more thing! No matter what people say a phone with a metallic chassis is always classy !

Last edited by a moderator:
^Totally agree with the thoughts on Xperia P. Bought it for my wife and she's in love with it. Awesome camera and the subtle colors on the IPS display are a treat. X:SP seems to be the prefect choice here. No matter how many features and benchmarks we discuss, what matters in the end to a lady is how good the phone looks.

Pretty late to update this thread, but after a couple of failed attempts to get hold of a White Xperia SP, we finally managed to get one via Flipkart last week. Looks great and performs great. Need I say.. the lady is in love with the device. :)

Back