CPU/Mobo A totally new issue!

I'm experiencing the following issue with my computer:-
When i switch it on, there was no display! In the quest to figure out the faulty part i started troubleshooting. I came up with the following conclusions:-

1. Display:- Working fine. Connected it to my laptop as external monitor.

2. SMPS:- It seems to be working fine because it turned powered up the dvd-rom. I've also checked the voltages, its giving the correct output.

3. RAM:- I have two sticks. Tried with both of them individually, none worked. Both of them can't stop working at the same time.

4. Processor:- Haven't checked it yet. When i press the power button, the processor fan starts rotating.

5. Hdd:- Doesn't matter.

Weird issue:-
6. Motherboard:- When i connect any peripheral device eg. the ide cable of dvd rom to the motherboard, the dvd rom does not power up, although i can see that the motherboard is on because the green light on it glows up and the processor fan starts. As soon as i detach the dvd rom's cable from the motherboard it powers up!

On the Chasis:- Only the green power led is on, not the hdd led even when the hdd is connected. Even when i disconnect the hdd its the same.

I myself have concluded that the motherboard is faulty but I may be wrong. So pour in your suggestions so that i can work on my computer again.:hap2:.

Thank you for reading.
EDIT: I opened up my cabinet yesterday. There was enormous amount of dust in it! So much that the entire RAM stick was covered with dust :ashamed:. Can this be the reason?

its 99% motherboard problem..

does computer gives u a beep when u powers on the computer..??

Sometimes U can predict from the sound itself..

the dvd ROM issue or say issue with any IDE device..

it is that it will not power up if you connect the IDE cable incorrectly.

the socket for connector has a notch (both on roms and hdds), but off lately i have seen some cables without a notch and without a no-connect pin hole sealed.

make sure you are not using one of those cables. use one that has notched to make sure prper connection. that shall solve the power issue with your rom

Motherboard Problem .If motherboard is under warranty Send it to RMA .
I too think the same, sadly no warranty left.

its 99% motherboard problem..
does computer gives u a beep when u powers on the computer..??
Sometimes U can predict from the sound itself..
Ok. No beeps at all. I judged the problem because the power of dvd-rom didn't turn up.

the dvd ROM issue or say issue with any IDE device..
it is that it will not power up if you connect the IDE cable incorrectly.
the socket for connector has a notch (both on roms and hdds), but off lately i have seen some cables without a notch and without a no-connect pin hole sealed.
make sure you are not using one of those cables. use one that has notched to make sure prper connection. that shall solve the power issue with your rom
Dude powering up the dvd is not the issue here. I want to start up the motherboard. The cable is perfect. Dont know anything abt the hole locked thing.:ashamed:

Ok do this.. remove the ram sticks and start the machine. If it gives you long beeps then the mobo maybe alright. If not its conked off...

@rahulyo: Thanks. I also think the same.

Ok do this.. remove the ram sticks and start the machine. If it gives you long beeps then the mobo maybe alright. If not its conked off...
The mobo didn't give any beeps, w/o ram sticks even when it was working perfectly. Probably the speaker is faulty.

Sanjeet Arora said:
The mobo didn't give any beeps, w/o ram sticks even when it was working perfectly. Probably the speaker is faulty.

Troubleshooting is gonna be hard then. Anyway.. rather than tinkering, if possible, buy a different machine.

Back