A very Important Question

Srirama

Adept
Hello TE,
Im pursuing my 3rd year of computer science engineering in chennai.
Three options lay ahead of me.
i) MS
ii)MBA
iii)Get a Job

I'm really confused right now. :S
I'm ready to pursue,whichever gives me a quality life on the long term.
Please do pour in your suggestions.
If you need to ask any questions regarding this,post in the thread.
Dont bash me saying,with so little details,What can we suggest?
I really want my career to be exciting,and the same time(money,need i say more :p) highly satisfying.

Anything helpful,would be highly appreciated :)

in my views first apply for job,if not succeed then going for mba or cat.only choose good college for mba.as your girl you parents are also looking for marriage.so concentrate on job its best for you.

harshmendhi said:
as your girl
What?

Eventually you have to do an MBA so
1. If you want to do a MBA from abroad get the required work ex first so that you can apply to a big college/university.
2. If you want to do a MBA in India then it doesn't matter if you do MBA first or work first. That is unless you are good enough to get into an IIM or don't get a good job.
Make sure you do an MBA from a decently big and reputed college/university.

You should know that as an international rule, MBA without work ex is worse than crap. This is because you have no idea how the corporate world works and you went ahead and did a MBA. Every MBA graduate without work ex wants more money. Why the hell should a company give it to you when you don't know A from B.
Many would disagree on this but this is my opinion that I have generated after talking to HRs and professors abroad and in India. I had to do this because like you I had to decide what to do and my goal was simple, settle in UK and do an MBA from London business school/Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial college of London/Manchester business school. This was in June last year and i decided that I need work ex thus I'm working.

@mjumrani.

Thanks for your Lengthy and highly informative post.

One more thing I'd like to know,do we get placements in universities abroad(i.e Mba and MS,like in india).

If you plan to do MBA, do it after you get some work experience. Its less than useless if you get it from a shitty university. As of right now, you can try getting certifications to add weightage to your resume ; ccna scjp w/e you are good and want to build a career around.

While applying for an MBA you need to check the proper affiliation of University or Institute. E.g. Recognition from UGC, AICTE etc. Some private institutes misrepresent facts such as "Recognized form UGC" while they are not in reality. Beware!!

Srirama said:
@mjumrani.

One more thing I'd like to know,do we get placements in universities abroad(i.e Mba and MS,like in india).
You do. My concentration is for MBA in Europe and I haven't found any evidence to the contrary.

As far US is concerned, you don't want to go there for the next 5 years atleast. Trust me on this.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

damn said:
If you plan to do MBA, do it after you get some work experience. Its less than useless if you get it from a shitty university. As of right now, you can try getting certifications to add weightage to your resume ; ccna scjp w/e you are good and want to build a career around.
These certifications are only important if you want to be in IT for very long. If you want to be in the managerial side, not as important

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

MrRIG said:
While applying for an MBA you need to check the proper affiliation of University or Institute. E.g. Recognition from UGC, AICTE etc. Some private institutes misrepresent facts such as "Recognized form UGC" while they are not in reality. Beware!!
Dude that is all bull crap. I'm a BTech graduate from Amity and I can tell you there isn't a senior or junior or batch mate of mine that isn't doing well right now. But then amity has a lot o money to get companies to come. And frankly if you are good enough nothing can hold you back.

Srirama said:
@mjumrani.

MBA Placement: Look - some private Recognized or unrecognized universities employ there own students in the same institute or in any other company own by institutes promotors. In this way these institutes raise their placement figure say 60% while actually it is way below 10% to 30%. Students placed in same institute don't learn real business skills.

MrRIG said:
MBA Placement: Look - some private Recognized or unrecognized universities employ there own students in the same institute or in any other company own by institutes promotors. In this way these institutes raise their placement figure say 60% while actually it is way below 10% to 30%. Students placed in same institute don't learn real business skills.

I would change my statement by saying as far as Amity is concerned everyone is placed in good companies as of now. Those companies do not include any Amity affiliates.

Mephistopheles said:
What is MBA exactly? What type of MBA is the most desirable? (Job wise)
Totally dependent on your career goals. One shouldn't do something if they don't like it.

Srirama said:
If my Guidance till now has been correct.

then,

MBA Finance,HR,Marketing are the best,in the same order as listed

Growth in HR is quite slow. My Dad and quite a few of my Cousins are in HR so I know quite a lot about it.

I don't have much of an idea about the types of MBA sadly. Reason is I have 2 1/2 years to go to get the desired work ex I want, which is a long time. Deciding/Researching now is not one of my present goals.

i would suggest you to prepare for CAT. You will have so much time during your engineering. Put some effort and try to crack CAT. You can also go ahead and join any coaching center. But make sure you attend regularly and practice. I had joined for a year long weekend course, but managed to attend only for 2 - 3 months. Was bunking classes and having fun. Now i regret it.
If you cant get into IIMs then take up a job. Stay there for 2-3 years. You can either do well, get to know your job domain well and look for a new job which pays you really well OR you can prepare for GMAT. After you get a job and spend 2-3 years its much easier for you to take up GMAT than CAT. At this point you need to try really hard to crack CAT. You will not have the time or the interest to do that. Atleast i don't. Usually it is better to have more than 3-4 years experience and good recommendations from your manager if you need to get into decent or good colleges through GMAT. For GMAT there is no need to go for any coaching classes. You can manage it on your own.

Also a try to involve yourself in as many extra curricular activities as you can in your college and work. They will give your profile a big boost and sets it apart from the others while applying through GMAT.

And don't ever think of joining B schools which advertise in tv channels and newspapers. They are usually crap.

Back