Storage Solutions A very strange HDD problem

saROMan

Disciple
I have the following HDD in my system - Seagate (160*2/500*2/750*2)GB i recently purchased WD 1 TB hdd, soon after connecting i started getting issues(HDD not detecting/partitions getting corrupt/Very slow transfer rates etc) checked with HD tune & no problem detected so thaught its OS issue so reinstalled Win 7 (64 Bit). every thing worked fine for few days after that & now i am gettings very annoying issues. My data transfer rates have gone down to 1.5/2 MBps MAX (even with Tera copy/Burst copy) :( . this is not just related to WD i am getting the same thing with my Seagate 160/500/750 GB , 160 GB Maxtor portable, 4/8 GB Kingston pen drives. i have scanned/benched all of them using HD Tune & Ashampoo HDD control . i am getting benched speed of 60/42/35/28 MBPS on WD/Seagate/Maxtor/Kingston but when i actually copy any contents it goes down to 1.5-2 MBPS :mad:. its really frustrating.i am using the OS/HW from last 6 months & the only hardware change is 1 TB HDD but its happening with all the drives so dont think WD is culprit.. any idea what can be the problem ?

6pack said:
using cheap chinese power supply? using too many hdd's on cheap power supply gives such results.

if you had checked my Sig it would have saved my time replying. unless you are calling Corsair HX620 cheap chinese power supply :)

One thing that is common among all the HDD are the connectors and the MOBO. So I'm guessing it must have been the Mobo.

try removing the WD from the computer and see if the problem persists.

hash said:
One thing that is common among all the HDD are the connectors and the MOBO. So I'm guessing it must have been the Mobo.

i do remember fiddling around the OC menu which resulted in boot failure.. guess worth a try . thanks buddy

saROMan said:
if you had checked my Sig it would have saved my time replying. unless you are calling Corsair HX620 cheap chinese power supply :)
sorry, didn't know. i've turned off sig's in my preferences. :)

:ashamed:
6pack said:
sorry, didn't know. i've turned off sig's in my preferences. :)
no problem dude

hash said:

strangely booting the system with out WD brings the operations to normal .. got 30-32 mbps on Maxtor . so some how WD is causing the problem :wtf: ..any one else has faced this problem ?

saROMan said:
:ashamed:
no problem dude
strangely booting the system with out WD brings the operations to normal .. got 30-32 mbps on Maxtor . so some how WD is causing the problem :wtf: ..any one else has faced this problem ?
Actually WD green have some models with Spindle Speed 5,400RPM.It may be the reason for this problem.

rajuwaste said:
Actually WD green have some models with Spindle Speed 5,400RPM.It may be the reason for this problem.

well in that case the speeds should be limited to WD ..how the hell all my drives/USB getting the speed of 1-2MBPS :(

a conflicts was once faced by me too with ST160 hdd @ sata1 channel causing ST500 @ sata2 channel going undetectable.:(

so i put ST500 on sata5 channel and it is fine since.

Then i added wd320 to sata 2 channel and its working gr8. But still dt know the mystery why ST500 not working on same sata2 channel!!???@@$#%$#%:S:p

Back