A WM 6.0 Phone like E90?

Hi Guys,

I am using E90 for last one month and I am absolutely loving it.

But I am in a need for a second mobile/PDA which must have Windows Mobile 6.0 (ya, WM 5.0 wont do) and which had somehow same design as E90. Can you people suggest any? Please post reviews from good site if can.

Thank you.

Do you have a specific budget in mind?

By similar design, I take it you are looking for a QWERTY keyboard. The most obvious phone from a design standpoint would be the HTC Universal (also sold as the iMae JasJar, O2 Exec). It's a rather large PDA but comes packed with a 520MHz processor.

Unlike most WM devices it also features a VGA screen which is quite a pleasant surprise. Then of course there are all the standard features you'd come to expect from HTC devices. AFAIK, none of the companies offering variants of the Universal have released a WM6 ROM. However that is not much of an issue considering you can get Custom WM6 ROMs that perform better than anything that could be released by HTC or one of the other companies selling it. Keep in mind that unfortunately, the Universal does not support EDGE.

i-mate JASJAR - Full phone specifications

If this seems a tad bit large, then there are several other options to pick from. The most notable of all these would be the HTC Wizard (iMate K-Jam, O2 Mini S, TMobile MDA) and the HTC Hermes (iMate JasJam, O2 Trion)

K-Jam (Retails for around 29k)
i-mate K-JAM - Full phone specifications

The K-Jam is a very successful phone here in India and worldwide too under it's different brands and names. It's a very competent device and quite small at that too. Refer to Funky's review of the Dopod 818 Pro. It's exactly the same device but with the addition of a QWERTY keyboard.

Cons: NO 3G, Somewhat underpowered processor (not really a big issue considering you can over clock it), absence of a jog wheel
Hermes (Successor to the K-JAM - Retails for around 40k)
i-mate JASJAM - Full phone specifications

This is indeed a very 'sweet' device. This has been developed keeping all the shortcomings of the beloved Wizard in mind.

PROS: Faster Intel PXA processor @ 400MHz, 3G enabled, First WM phone with a Jog Wheel.

CONS: No built in GPS (although you can buy a BT / USB GPS unit and hook it up to this and it'll work like a charm.)

Expect a review of this from me soon.

Of course, there are several phones in the Ultimate Series from iMate that would be worthy successors to the Universal. The only problem is iMate with all it's sourcing issues is finding it hard to commit to a release date. HTC no longer supplies any new devices to companies like iMate and O2.

If you are willing to wait, then the grand daddy of all these devices and the most highly anticipated device in the WM community ie The HTC Kaiser, will be out mid next month.

PROS: Newer Stepping of the Qualcomm Processor @ 400MHz, New Tilt Screen, 128MB RAM as opposed to the Hermes / Wizard which have only 64MB RAM, GPS, 3MP Camera (actually shoots good pictures for an HTC device), Various optimizations that make the graphics system 6 times better than it's predecessor, The Hermes

CONS: I love this device so much, I really can't think of anything except the fact that it isnt out to Retail yet and that pre-production models cost as much as $2000.00 :no:

Hmmm...

Thanks for such a detailed answer man. :) That was really helpyful.

I dont have any budget constraints (as in I cant), but I will definitely not buy anything above 45k (as in I wont :p).

BTW, can you tell me what to do you think about MotoQ?

I've heard some good things about the phone... but HTC is still numero uno and Moto has to come up with a lot more before I am conviced to look that way.

MotoQ doesn't have WiFi and in a country like india with no 3G, i think it's something that can be skipped. Voip is horrible with EDGE.

I've also heard that it can't be used as a BT modem. I guess you'll have to use the USB cable which is just not acceptable. Knowing how flexible WM is, somebody might come up with an app to rectify this oversight as long as it's not a hardware limitation.

Lastly it's a smartphone and not a PDA with a touchscreen. That's something that i'm not too fond off either.

There is a newer model of it available with 3G and more RAM. It called Q 9H

Back