CPU/Mobo A10 or i3 - Help me pick my next CPU.

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Wanted to buy a new CPU since I've sold my Llano rig.

Before what I want to buy I'll list me requirements-

1. Linux support ( needs better performance /more thread for compiling s.w / kernel )
2. Programming ( multi threading / opencl)
3. Gaming with 6670 (The Dual graphics used to work pretty well with Llano on majority of games with 1080p)
4. Rest all is regular.
5. Overclocking

CPUs that I sorted out is -

1. AMD A10 5800k - INR 8400
2. Intel Core i3 3320 - INR ~7300

The USP for i3 is the lower power consumption and higher IPC however it trails the A10 in heavily threaded benchmarks.I do't need info on A10 however its the i3 that I am more concerned with.
Haven't played much with Intel system so have not much of chipset and overclocking knowledge on that front.

How well the chip will OC considering this is a locked chip ? I need graphics for my programming as well (Face detection algorithm based on opencl)

USP of A10 is great IGP which I can pair up with 6670 for Dual Graphics which relates to nice performance bump. Other than that future socket compatibility with 28nm refresh of either Richland or Kaveri.

Which board if I plan i3 3220. ?

Or should i go for a10 ?

Regards

@Dark Star for over-clocking, pretty much locked in you are there with the AMD A10.

The Core i3 and any Intel processor lacking a -k suffix is not over-clock capable (stably).

For the i3 the motherboard I suggest is --
  • GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
  • GIGABYTE-H77-D3H ~7000/-
  • ASUS P8H77-V ~9800/-
Basically a Z77 based motherboard will be useless to your needs. Unnecessary expenditure for a feature you cannot use (over-clocking).

Here is a benchmark run between the two processors in contention --> AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For the AMD RIG, I think you will be better knowing whichever motherboard you want. I have not really been keeping an eye on the Fusion chipsets (A85, A75, A55).

Also, without the Hybrid CrossFire profiles I think the performance of games will be pretty weak on the Intel RIG.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark Star Since you've decided on overclocking the Intel i3 processor choice goes out of the window since you can't OC it,You'd get the A75 or A85 mobo which will have all the features you need.You'd go with AMD rig

But is the A10 5800K out in India yet and available readily? I think I saw one listed on Flipkart about a week ago, but only the 5800K. The 5700K, et al are listed as coming soon; haven't been to Lamington Rd in a while so don't know if they are available there either.

Back