CPU/Mobo A8N-E stuck at 238-239 HTT

TechHead

ex-Mod
Using Eclipse's OC guide. My A8N-E craps out at 238-239 HTT Prime95, using both the 1004 and 1008 BIOSes. This is with a 1:2 RAM divider,5X CPU multi, 3-3-3-8/2T timings, and 2X as well as 3X HTT multipliers. WTF? Tried upping VDDR to 2.9V and even VCore to 1.425V (standard HSF).

Anything I can do? I enabled the floppy in the BIOS as well.. heard it can help OCs. I hope to hit atleast 260-270HTT. CPU is Funky's 3000+/LBBWE.

up the VCore further...say 1.45

ask funky what did he do to touch 300HTT..he told me tht proccy touched 300.

SunnyBoi said:
up the VCore further...say 1.45

ask funky what did he do to touch 300HTT..he told me tht proccy touched 300.

Yeah, but will VCore affect the HTT OCability? even at 5X multi?

Paging funky!

well HTT is dependednt mostly on your motherboard. A8N-E should not have any problems hitting 280-290HTT ideally with lowered HTT multipliers.

Remember not all RAM likes DDR200 divider, they simply crap out at that divider even before hitting their limit. Specially hynix hates DDR200 divider for some reason. For me on any board it simply wont work at DDR200 and DDR266.

Dry to get max with DDR333 divider and see if it goes above 238-240. If no then it may be the chipset on your board that is limiting you. The processor is capable of lot more.

Hey TH. thats the same board I was using right? The best I have done was 308HTT. But when I had tested, Prime95 was stable at ~275FSB. My CPU wud do 2.7GHz easily, being stable in 3D Mark, but Prime was stable only at 2.5~2.55GHz.

Increase your Vcore to about 1.5V straight away and then try increasing the HTT by every 5 ~ 10 mhz steps from say 235 mhz.
and keep the cpu multi @ 9 , HTT multipler set to AUTO or X3.

Ram divider and settings you can set as per the quality of ur rams. but set vdimm to about 2.75V ~ 2.80V.

This way you can find the max cpu fsb @ vcore of 1.50V (Stable) atleast .....

using vcore of 1.5V ~ 1.55V on stock cooling (xp-90 or similar H/S prefered), on a long term basis, is pretty safe for venice cores. (provided you have good air flow inside ur case)

once you find the max fsb of the cpu and memory try to finetune the m/c by lowering the Vcore and vdimm as per ur o/c needs and the temperature levels you are comfortable with.

funkymonkey said:
well HTT is dependednt mostly on your motherboard. A8N-E should not have any problems hitting 280-290HTT ideally with lowered HTT multipliers.
Remember not all RAM likes DDR200 divider, they simply crap out at that divider even before hitting their limit. Specially hynix hates DDR200 divider for some reason. For me on any board it simply wont work at DDR200 and DDR266.
Dry to get max with DDR333 divider and see if it goes above 238-240. If no then it may be the chipset on your board that is limiting you. The processor is capable of lot more.

Cool.. I'll try that. By chipset, you mean the NF4 Ultra or the specific one on this mobo? As Masky said, he has hit 275 Prime stable on it, and you said you did 300HTT on this chip..

I'll try the 333 divider. Thanks for the heads-up, funky and deejay and masky and sunny (whew!0

TheMask said:
Hey TH. thats the same board I was using right? The best I have done was 308HTT. But when I had tested, Prime95 was stable at ~275FSB. My CPU wud do 2.7GHz easily, being stable in 3D Mark, but Prime was stable only at 2.5~2.55GHz.

Yep. Same board. Which RAM did you use?

Try and increase the chipset voltage a bit (if there is an option)..

And use the 5:3 (DDR333) memory divider :)

BTW, if your RAM sucks (like mine) then use the 2T command rate.

hey TH, u can hit 1.55 vcore...max temps wud be around 51C

i got primestable 295HTT at 1.450...and its stuck there now..max temps at 49C

Agree with Funky, a lot of memory acts very finicky when used with a very low memory divider. Try a higher mem divider.

IMO, when using a very low memory divider is the memory timings tend to get set for very tight/aggressive settings. Hence when OC'ing the HTT, the memory gets OC'ed simultaneously with these tight timings - so even though it is well under its DDR400 limit, it tends to hit a wall.

One way to get around this is to manually key in the timings (I see you seem to have set it for 3-3-3-8 , but there are a myriad other timings that you cannot play with in your A8N-E BIOS that might be affecting things).

- I'm assuming you're using Clockgen to OC? If so try this - do not place any memory divider within the BIOS, let the memory run at its default speed. Key in the required settings for the rest of the components - i.e. lower CPU multi, HTT bus multi (again 3x HTT multi is good enough, 2x is a bit too low and common rule is to not keep the HTT too high or too low).

- Next load up A64 tweaker from within Windows and drop MEMCLK Frequency down to 166Mhz, and start up Clockgen and increase the HTT. Keep increasing the HTT till memory clock as reported by Clockgen is close to 200Mhz. Drop the memory divider from within A64Tweaker a notch down once again to 150Mhz, 133Mhz, and so on each time the mem speed nears 200Mhz. Do note, you will have to close ClockGen and work with A64Tweaker and open it again after that for ClockGen to recognise the newer mem divider speeds.

Whatever you do "Never" use clockgen or A64 to o/c ur m/c.
Do all the settings changes through the bios.

well, A64 you can use to test the ram timmings (finetune)
but you should set those finetuned settings in the bios and retest the m/c for stability.

Back