About GSOC 2012 (Google Summer of Code)

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hello,

I have been following GSOC since over 4 years. This time I want to try my luck in GSOC 2012 as Student. Well, I have many ideas about projects in Android Application Development and Web development (HTML5, CSS3, PHP and MySQL). Project ideas will be provided to relative mentors as soon as they start accepting student applications.

I have developed couple of Android applications and I am pretty good at working with system files and AOSP source of android. I can do much more things in Android. I am willing to contribute some of my knowledge with AOSP.

Other than Android development. I also want to try my luck with web development. I am thinking about developing pure HTML5 video sharing application (With support of almost all video and audio formats).

If I use any existing source code (which is open source and freely available) in my project, will it be fine with GSOC judges / mentors?

Another question. What documents are required to get participated in GSOC. I am in Final Year B.E., what kind of letter do I need to get from College / University?

GSOC doesn't entertain new project, you can only enroll in the available FOSS projects.

So check the list and apply for it. Most of the projects and applications available thrive on open source toolkit/language (python/c++) so you better have a grasp of it.

I'll re-enter the GSOC next year skipping this year for getting a solid grasp on python and qt.

You submit an idea for a pre-listed project (of you choice) and if that idea got selected you then enter the GSOC and work on it. Even if you are not selected you can work on that idea and even though you will not be a GSOCer, google will credit you and your idea by sending you freebies and the likes.

nononono

GSOC doesn't entertain new project, you can only enroll in the available FOSS projects.

If you can get a relevant organisation to accept your project, its not a problem

So check the list and apply for it. Most of the projects and applications available thrive on open source toolkit/language (python/c++) so you better have a grasp of it.

I'll re-enter the GSOC next year skipping this year for getting a solid grasp on python and qt.

You submit an idea for a pre-listed project (of you choice) and if that idea got selected you then enter the GSOC and work on it.

Not necessarily, you can propose your own idea. Thats what I did last year

Even if you are not selected you can work on that idea and even though you will not be a GSOCer, google will credit you and your idea by sending you freebies and the likes.

No, Google will NOT credit you for a project undertaken outside of GSoC, unless you are working on one of Google's own products (Android,Chrome,etc), in which case there MAY be an exception

Hello,

I have been following GSOC since over 4 years. This time I want to try my luck in GSOC 2012 as Student. Well, I have many ideas about projects in Android Application Development and Web development (HTML5, CSS3, PHP and MySQL). Project ideas will be provided to relative mentors as soon as they start accepting student applications.

Shortlist organisations 1st, and start talking to the bigger ones now itself. Dont wait till the end

I have developed couple of Android applications and I am pretty good at working with system files and AOSP source of android. I can do much more things in Android. I am willing to contribute some of my knowledge with AOSP.

Mobile apps are usually not a very high priority, but check out the previous years projects

Not sure if AOSP participates in GSoC

Other than Android development. I also want to try my luck with web development. I am thinking about developing pure HTML5 video sharing application (With support of almost all video and audio formats).

Sounds like something similar to http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2011#VLC_Personnal_Cloud_Project_2.0

Get on their IRC and discuss with jb if you want to

If I use any existing source code (which is open source and freely available) in my project, will it be fine with GSOC judges / mentors?

If licencing is not an issue, then it should be fine

Another question. What documents are required to get participated in GSOC. I am in Final Year B.E., what kind of letter do I need to get from College / University?

You need a proof of enrolment. Library card/college ID should do.

But you need to be a student in end April, which you should be

As you are in your last year, I wouldnt recommend going for it, since it will stretch into August and your job will probably start from sometime in June .

NOT recommended at all

You need to give 6+ hours/day to GSoC

^^They do credit the projects done even if they are not accepted, many KDE developers got goodies after successful completion of projects even after their idea got rejected.

#mehrotra.akash Its not necessary to spend 6hours/day, the time depends on person and his understanding in the selected projects.

^^They do credit the projects done even if they are not accepted, many KDE developers got goodies after successful completion of projects even after their idea got rejected.

KDE guys got the goodies from KDE itself or from Google?

#mehrotra.akash Its not necessary to spend 6hours/day, the time depends on person and his understanding in the selected projects.

Recommended is 40 hours/week

I spent 4-5hours/day all 7 days. Many people I know had spent more

Recommended is 40 hours/week

I spent 4-5hours/day all 7 days. Many people I know had spent more

Well, I have enough time after my BE as I have decided to take a break for some preparations
<

nononono

As you are in your last year, I wouldnt recommend going for it, since it will stretch into August and your job will probably start from sometime in June .

NOT recommended at all

You need to give 6+ hours/day to GSoC

I am not going to apply for a job so soon
<

Well, can you give me a list of FOSS projects or any sources to the list? I don't think AOSP will be a part of GSOC as it is part of Google's family.

Well, I have enough time after my BE as I have decided to take a break for some preparations
<

I am not going to apply for a job so soon
<

Well, can you give me a list of FOSS projects or any sources to the list? I don't think AOSP will be a part of GSOC as it is part of Google's family.

List of projects from last year

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2011

Havent read through the entire thing, but go through this link as well

http://www.linuxcandy.com/2012/02/gsoc-why-what-and-the-how.html

^^Well thats a good thing if you like coding, but suggesting someone vague things is different. In GSOC, all you need to do is give weekly report + complete the project during the session/monthly presentation.

Google on the whole doesn't give a damn whether you code for 1 hour or whole day, they will only pay you if the project meets the deadline. So it doesn't really matter what is recommended. I can code something in few minutes while others can take hours and vice versa, it depends on person to person.

I did it way back and applied for KDE project. The idea didn't got selected but I tried hard to cope up with GSOC norms and come up with the project with eventually ended as dead
<

Will probably setup python work and environment for GIMP or similar py projects in coming years, along with my own project that I wanted to create
<

Well, looking at accepted organizations from last couple of years. I can work with phpMyAdmin, wordpress, drupal, wikimedia etc.. Let's see, if any of these gets their approval this time. I will stick with web development this time and think about project topics related to stated organizations.

A member of my local LUG contributed this -- a short guide.

Choosing your Favorite Open-Source Project
  • Pick a project you either use regularly, or already have an idea of the source code. Else, it is hard to have any context when you're reading source code or preparing a proposal.
  • Contribute patches or fix some bugs early if you can. At the very least, attempt to insert printfs() or change something on the surface to get a feel of the build system.

bond with important people in the project / finding mentors within the project / ideas for proposal
  • if you can't propose a topic, then pick one from the ideas page. Note that the ideas page is there for a reason, that is, the developers want those things in the project!
  • contact the developers on the mailing list with your idea, but make sure you do some homework first.
    <

Source: [url="http://lugj.in/wiki/GSOC"]http://lugj.in/wiki/GSOC

Back