CPU/Mobo adding a new ram

bsd

Disciple
hi folks . i am using intelc2d E4300, 1gb ram ddr2, MSI motherboard. if i add another 1gb ram, will it increases the speed of system. or is it just a waste.

excalibur said:
Sure it will, be it XP or Windows 7. :)

If it is XP the difference is not noticable in day-2-day work(browsing/movies etc). May be useful with some RAM hungry apps like SQL servers or games.
For win 7 it definitely improves the system performance.

vivacious_tg said:
If it is XP the difference is not noticable in day-2-day work(browsing/movies etc). May be useful with some RAM hungry apps like SQL servers or games.

For win 7 it idefinitely improves the system performance.
Correct, adding RAM if he's using Windows 7 will make significant improvement to overall performance, like faster operation and ability to run more apps and softwares. But in case of XP, difference will be negligible.

i am using windows 7 ultimate. thanks for u r suggestions. and which is the best ,transcend or gskill

Transcend is good enough .... Gskill is costlier & is supposedly of better quality but I think Transcend does the JOB well enough without any problem.

5 years down the line ...... nobody's going to use DDR2. Rather I think 3 years from now most of the DDR2 owners would want to go for a new Rig or Upgrade in which people would be enticed to move over DDR3 for sure.

aercy said:
5 years down the line ...... nobody's going to use DDR2. Rather I think 3 years from now most of the DDR2 owners would want to go for a new Rig or Upgrade in which people would be enticed to move over DDR3 for sure.
Well there are quite a few ppl who have DDR I systems and still there are new DDR 1 RAMs for sale in the market(even in TE dealers section). DDRII bacame mainstream in 2006. Its now 4-4.5 yrs and still DDR 1 systems are around. In India there are many instances where ppl would not wanna get a new system until the PC develops a major failure. (I know ppl who still have P3 desktops.) Even i got 1GB DDR1 stick for my parents rig this Jan and the rig is now 5 years+ old P4 and still going strong. I would not upgrade it unless until a proccy/mobo fails as it can still serve its purpose.

For gamers, upgrading is necessary ..... that also once in every 3-4 years, 4 years is MAX. DDR1 are costly, isn't it? DDR2 is going that way only. True, for developers & casual users, a stable system is a dream, so none would like to ruin it by upgrading components.

Back