ADSL modem recomendations

Hey all,

I have an Airtel ADSL connection and find that I have to replace my modem every 3 years with it. I am unsure if it's due to power fluctuations at my place, or it's just the life of these devices.

I originally had a airtel provided beetle, following which my D-Link DSL 2520U just conked out a week ago.

Hence, I am now in the marked for a reliable ADSL modem, that will be linked to a Asus N12-D Wifi Router

can you let me know how the ADSL modem is linked to the N12
I believe my terminology might not be spot in, it should be modem-router, as I require a single LAN port to plug into the WAN port of the N12.

This is actually for my folks, and I am no longer there. I originally set it up in bridged mode, and let the router do the ppoe connection. A while back, an airtel technician came and "upgraded" the configuration, and now the modem does the dialling, with the N12 getting it's WAN ip via dhcp of the modem. The issue that they face now is the a connection is established only when they reboot the modem, and then drops out after about 10 minutes. The Airtel guy came and had a look at it, and said the modem should be replaced, as it's "Hanging".

I asked the folks to reset the modem, and re-load the modem configuration, but that doesn't seem to be helping. I unfortunately, can't access the device and reconfigure it myself to test, so going the easier route to replace it.

Got it, I was interested in this part "I originally set it up in bridged mode, and let the router do the ppoe connection." I have an MTNL connection and an R16 and TP-Link modem, TP-Link is limited in what you can do, so wanted to add the R16

I am unsure if it's due to power fluctuations at my place, or it's just the life of these devices.
Its just the life of these devices.
Almost all ADSL modems are using Trendchip/Ralink chipsets these days, so not much of a difference between what you get.

The issue that they face now is the a connection is established only when they reboot the modem, and then drops out after about 10 minutes.
Do they hear any line noise when using the phone? Also what's the link speed? Airtel seem very conservative about link speeds these days but just in case the line is negotiating for a higher speed than capable you might have the link dropping out now and then.

Last edited:
Got it, I was interested in this part "I originally set it up in bridged mode, and let the router do the ppoe connection." I have an MTNL connection and an R16 and TP-Link modem, TP-Link is limited in what you can do, so wanted to add the R16

It is rather straightforward to setup, should be the same with MTNL, just counter check the VPI/VCI/MTU values, and you should be all set.

Its just the life of these devices.
Almost all ADSL modems are using Trendchip/Ralink chipsets these days, so not much of a difference between what you get.

Sigh, waiting for ACT fibre to be available at their place.

Do they hear any line noise when using the phone? Also what's the link speed? Airtel seem very conservative about link speeds these days but just in case the line is negotiating for a higher speed than capable you might have the link dropping out now and then.

I will have them check, the line was down for about 10days due to an underground cable failure, and then once Airtel repaired it, the folks have been facing these drop-out issues.

I believe Dlink 2520U has a broadcom chipset so should be the best for poor connections. I am using TD-8616 (trendnet chipset) which has been pretty stable for me giving an SNR > 30. However, i dont recommend it because you only get basic ADSL line stats out of it. Dlink modems and even Beetel modem give out much more information which is valuable for debugging problems.

I would just buy another Dlink 2520U.

Back