WTB Adsl+router with good range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seconded. I have the same router.. got it a few days back.

be warned though, the 5dBi antenna's only apply to version 2 of the hardware model. version 1 still has 2x3dBi antenna's and not 5dBi

I myself got this modem-router couple of weeks ago, from Flipkart, it was (and is) mentioned under specifications that it has 2 5dBi antennae.

There is no way one could check for its hardware version without opening the package. Version number is only seen on serial number tag on the back side of the device. And mine is V1.1 (version one) :(

Although the coverage of the router is decent, it ain't great as is mentioned here. I do not get max coverage at all of 1000 sqft flat. It drops to almost minimum at extreme corners (two walls). I now realize that this could be due to low powered 3dBi antennae.

One of the main reasons I got this was due to its 'great' range. And it is clearly not great on my router. What are my options? Is there a way I can prove that the antennae are of 3dBi, and not of 5dBi as stated on their product specification page? If there is a way to do that, can I demand for a replacement as the product I got is not as described on their product page?

~Sagar T U

Edit: Version number is also on the serial number tag on the package. Damn, I wish I knew about the version differences before so that I could check for it before opening the package.

WD Retail has 30 days replacement policy. Can I try for a replacement? Is it worth the hassle? Please advise.

Last edited:
You can definitely call up WS Retail and inform them regarding the mismatch of the detail specs mentioned on the website and on the actual hardware received. See what they say.

A general tip before buying any hardware : always research specs on the manufacturers sites, esp product pdf's where most often than not any hardware variants will be detailed better.

I just called up tp link, they said v1 is 5 dBi too.

And i do get 2-3 bars signals at corners of my house(1100sq feet)...

Also v2 isn't launched in India... So u wont get it anywhere (source tp link tech support).

I just called up tp link, they said v1 is 5 dBi too.

And i do get 2-3 bars signals at corners of my house(1100sq feet)...

Also v2 isn't launched in India... So u wont get it anywhere (source tp link tech support).

seems weird.. their manual and specs on their site says the v1 comes with 3dBi.. but if TP-Link says they're sure then maybe its correct

Here you go : http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/?categoryid=219&model=TD-W8968#down

the datasheet for v1.0 clearly says 2x3dBi .. so it seems contradictory..

Last edited:
Update: As @mach9 as pointed out, the datasheet of ver 1 W8968 hardware says that it has 2 x 3dBi antennae clearly. So, I called Flipkart yesterday, raised my issue that the product I was delivered is not as described on the product page. They obliged and offered me a replacement/refund.

Today, I got a mail from them that they cannot arrange a replacement, and it will be a refund. May be they cannot source a version 2 hardware. A while ago the device was collected back by a eKart personnel. Once they approve that the package has all the contents it came with originally, I will be getting the full refund credited to my back account.

I reckon, it is best for me to buy version 2 hardware of this router from SP Road by checking the package in person. The only worry is what the price difference going to be. I had bought this for Rs 2250 from Flipkart, when there was an offer on it. I'm sure I will not get it for that price anywhere in SP Road.

PS: And as always I'm back in the dilemma (which I hate) of whether to just buy version 2 W8968, or something else that is better. :shifty:

~ Sagar T U

Edit: OP, pardon me for hijacking your thread.

@prateekS, @mach9, is your W8968 Ver 2 hardware? Where did you buy it from, and for how much?

Last edited:
It's not a major issue for me really.. even with 2x3 dBi my 1000sqft flat gets decent coverage throughout. Perhaps you could try a more optimal placement for the router and see if that helps.

When i bought it i was pretty much ok with the 2x3 dBi setup so yeah.. I didn't bother to see if it was v2.0 before ordering (btw it's v1.0).

Maybe v2.0 is not available in India as TP Link said. Also prices have gone up.. I got mine for 2.5k iirc from a retailer on Amazon

V2wont be coming in the next 3-4 months... Also.. Prices are still low on Snapdeal.. ~2200-2300 - 300 discount coupons..

There is no way one could check for its hardware version without opening the package. Version number is only seen on serial number tag on the back side of the device. And mine is V1.1 (version one) :(

Edit: Version number is also on the serial number tag on the package. Damn, I wish I knew about the version differences before so that I could check for it before opening the package.
It mentions the version on the box. Problem is these e-tailers do not reflect it, its only in the comments (if you're lucky) some one will mention it. So before buying you have to confirm.

its quite maddening how router vendors change things under the hood and yet still keep the same model number. It means whatever was said here, whatever benchmarks were conducted only applies at the time it was said. 6 months or a 1 year later, the next version comes out, will it still retain the same good chipset or not is an open question, maybe or not. Discussions here on router models come with an expiry date.

The chipset makers run a certain number of chips off the die then its time for something new, you cannot get the same chips again, so what's a router vendor to do ? go with the latest & greatest and keep the costs within control. Maybe the new chip ain't that great or maybe its the same. This is of little concern to the vendors, but to a consumer it makes the difference between having a good signalk in one room and then getting a much weaker one with the next model. Price is the same so why did the performance drop.

Although the coverage of the router is decent, it ain't great as is mentioned here. I do not get max coverage at all of 1000 sqft flat. It drops to almost minimum at extreme corners (two walls). I now realize that this could be due to low powered 3dBi antennae.
No, its down to the power amps that amplify the signal. Going through a wall depending how thick it is entails a loss of 5-10dBm. so what good will an extra 2dB antenna gain give you ? not a lot, if you want to boost signal you need at least a 6dB boost. That means if your router comes with 3dBi, you need to get 9dBi antenna to notice an improvement. Improvement is it crosses an extra wall where there was none or very weak signal before. You cannot get 9db, tp-link sells 8db, so the boost is 5dB.

A difference of 2db means you get maybe 10-15 feet more range, in open space. We don't live in courtyards, we live in houses with walls. Walls absorb signal, signficantly so.

What really matters is what the client can do with the signal, how much data it can shift. You might get better signal strength with a larger antenna but if throughput only increases by a small amount then it becomes debatable whether the antenna upgrade was worth it. But if you could not get a signal before whereas now you get it or it was flaky and its now more stable then yes.

One of the main reasons I got this was due to its 'great' range. And it is clearly not great on my router. What are my options? Is there a way I can prove that the antennae are of 3dBi, and not of 5dBi as stated on their product specification page? If there is a way to do that, can I demand for a replacement as the product I got is not as described on their product page?
Live with it or get repeaters. Really depends how much data you need to shift. Basic browsing only means a repater, anything more means a more powerful router. cannot say anything more unless you put up a floor plan that indicates signal strengths both good & bad.

Difference between 3dbi vs 5dbi antenna is down to size or antenna length. Look up what size they should be for 3 vs 5 and just measure it.

Last edited:
Seconded. I have the same router.. got it a few days back.

be warned though, the 5dBi antenna's only apply to version 2 of the hardware model. version 1 still has 2x3dBi antenna's and not 5dBi

Got v2 from TP LINK. has 5dBi. Indian sites are making fool of users by selling v1.

Got v2 from TP LINK. has 5dBi. Indian sites are making fool of users by selling v1.

where from? either which ways.. buyers need to do the r&d before making a purchase online, always.. so for me i knew of it before.

But I think someone said that the v2 was not launched by TP Link in India? So perhaps you can share with the others interested how you got it from TP Link directly?

Congo on the purchase btw..

I've been quite happy with this router. The only problem I feel it has is it tends to get "jammed" ... sites wont open though it has full signal and they just go into an endless refresh/loading loop unless you disconnect from the router and reacquire the signal.. this causes the connection to somehow reset and then sites instantly open up..

It happens off and on.. cant really put a timing to it. But i think it's a software/firmware issue with this model for sure... unless i've got some setting config that is causing this to happen... but with the auto setup I doubt that is the case

As in , a dealer friend of mine got it from TP LINK INDIA.

TP LINK said , they havent sent v2 stock to E - Retailers yet, as their requirements are large in number and there have some production issues from Parent Company side.

I have put one up for sale in the SALES section.

Also the above issue that u mentioned , is not happening with me ...but im tempted to sell my 8968 and and get a V2,or use a modem plus TP LINK WR841 .

As in , a dealer friend of mine got it from TP LINK INDIA.

TP LINK said , they havent sent v2 stock to E - Retailers yet, as their requirements are large in number and there have some production issues from Parent Company side.

I have put one up for sale in the SALES section.

Also the above issue that u mentioned , is not happening with me ...but im tempted to sell my 8968 and and get a V2,or use a modem plus TP LINK WR841 .

Well I have the freeze issue for sure.. don't know if it's a fatal flaw or if there's something else wrong with it.

Well I have the freeze issue for sure.. don't know if it's a fatal flaw or if there's something else wrong with it.

Send it for RMA , luckily you might get a V2 version...alternatively you can request them to send a v2 Version....They send back items pretty quick..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back