CPU/Mobo Advice needed for Processor + Mobo + RAM upgrade

Apart from the following template I would like to mention a few details. PC had some no-boot issues with continues beeps without any video et al. I thought the mobo was giving up after nearly 3.5 yrs of service. Removed 1 of the RAM & removed all the front cabinet headers from the mobo (audio & usb, pw reset). Any other combination would give my continuous beeps. Now system is working absolutely fine. Reinstalled OS just for the sake of it. Also ordered Corsair 400r to replace the local cabinet which served me all this while. Still cannot figure out the exact reason of the problem.

With 1 RAM removed there are no performance issues as such but a lot of inconvenience due to absence of USB headers etc. Gaming has decreased to a bare minimum now. Only use of my HD4850 is for movies & its HDMI output to Onkyo 3300 for audio therefore helping me save on an audio card et al. Have not done any audio benchmark but keeps me happy especially for movies. Upgrading the GC is not a part of my plan right now.

Had the following 2 upgrade options in hand:

1. Get a G41 mobo + 8GB Corsair vengeance (Prefer G Skill but RMA issues are holding me back) - Cost 3.4 + 3.5 = 7

2. Get a new procc + Mobo + 8GB Corsair (Cost - '' + '' + 3.5k = 15-20k) Lower the better

Q: What is your budget?

1. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel E7400
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte G31
    • GPU - MSI 4850
    • RAM - Transcend 2X2GB
    • Monitor - Samsung 943NWX
    • SMPS - Corsair VX450
    • Kinston 2x2GB
    • 3 HDD's
    • Corsair 400r (will be receiving on 29-09-2012)

2. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Samsung 943NWX
    • SMPS - Corsair VX450
    • GPU - MSI 4850
    • Corsair 400r

3. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - e7400
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte G41

• GPU - GTX300
    • (please mention the rest in above format)

4. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • SMPS - 600W

• Cabinet - CM XXX

• RAM - 2X4GB PC8500

5. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Lucknow (As)
    • Delhi (Through someone)
    • Open to online purchase (Highly preferable even if the costs differ a bit)

6. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No (Need proper invoice for each item)

7. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies

8. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4
    • Racing - Grid at medium to high settings

9. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1440x900

10. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • haven't done it till date in my present rig but might go for it

11. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

@beanstalk_230 You'd go for this combo-
Intel i5 2400-10.5k OR i5 3450-12.5k
Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k
Corsair Vengeance/Gskill Ripjaws 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.5k
Get this latest combo,It'll do you good for next few years.No need to go for G41 mobo.Also no need to change the case within next few months the 400R is good enough.
You won't be able to overclock this rig,The K series processor rig would go above your budget hence go for Non-Ocing rig.

@beanstalk_230 this is what I suggest --

Intel Core i3 3220 ~7500/- OR Core i5 3450 ~12500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x1 ~1600/- (add another equivalent RAM module later)

You will not be able to over-clock but with the level of performance I doubt you will need it. Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
The good thing if OP goes for i3 that he can save cash and add to get HD7750 OR something but he'll lose a quad core which might be better to get now and add gpu later.
beanstalk_230 this is what I suggest --

Intel Core i3 3220 ~7500/- OR Core i5 3450 ~12500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x1 ~1600/- (add another equivalent RAM module later)

You will not be able to over-clock but with the level of performance I doubt you will need it. Cheerio!

The good thing if OP goes for i3 that he can save cash and add to get HD7750 OR something but he'll lose a quad core which might be better to get now and add gpu later.

• Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - [/COLOR]Samsung 943NWX
      [*]SMPS - Corsair VX450
      [*]GPU - MSI 4850
      [*]Corsair 400r

He already has a HD4850.

I know i was just saying that if he wants to add gpu now then he can get i3 and go for HD7750 OR settle for i5 3450 and not to get gpu now.Felt like HD4850 might choke in the newer rig hence made this point,Cheers.
He already has a HD4850.

I know i was just saying that if he wants to add gpu now then he can get i3 and go for HD7750 OR settle for i5 3450 and not to get gpu now.Felt like HD4850 might choke in the newer rig hence made this point,Cheers.

Dunno, a HD4850 is still a potent performer also OP has said he will carry on using it so makes no sense, with his usage he will not loose much either in gaming OR other tasks.

Even I was thinking on the same lines. Will shift the 7400 & g31 to my office pc which currently runs on e2180.

What time will the following serve me for : 7400 lasted a great 3-4 yrs time.
i3
i5

Lastly if I delay the upgrade by 3 months (arnd Jan) is there anything I should wait for in terms of cpu mobo?

Even I was thinking on the same lines. Will shift the 7400 & g31 to my office pc which currently runs on e2180.

What time will the following serve me for : 7400 lasted a great 3-4 yrs time.
i3
i5

Lastly if I delay the upgrade by 3 months (arnd Jan) is there anything I should wait for in terms of cpu mobo?

If you want ~3 -->4 years of performance, best is that you go for the Core i5 the extra-cores will come handy later.

If you will delay purchases by 3 months by January, you will see a minor depreciation in the prices but nothing apart from that. Intel will only release its next CPU Lineup 'Haswell' in late Q1 and Q2 2013.

So flipkart has the following prices for the components:

i5 3450 - Rs. 11872 Intel 3.1 GHz FCLGA1155 Core i5 3450 Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com
Giga B75 - Rs. 4484 Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com
Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb - Rs 3400 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) | Ram | Flipkart.com

Total damage - Rs. 19756

With i3 the budget should come down by Rs 4372. New total budget - 15384. [This option leaves me with more headroom for Gfx card later down the line - Not updated about the same but will wait for the next lineup from Ati/Nvidia ~ Another 3 months i guess ??]

So flipkart has the following prices for the components:

i5 3450 - Rs. 11872 Intel 3.1 GHz FCLGA1155 Core i5 3450 Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com
Giga B75 - Rs. 4484 Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com
Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb - Rs 3400 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) | Ram | Flipkart.com

Total damage - Rs. 19756

With i3 the budget should come down by Rs 4372. New total budget - 15384. [This option leaves me with more headroom for Gfx card later down the line - Not updated about the same but will wait for the next lineup from Ati/Nvidia ~ Another 3 months i guess ??]

Go with the Core i5, try to live with the graphics card as long as possible. Change when the HD8*** series comes, even I am waiting for that now, initial plans were to get Kepler but seeing the pricing on them it is better to wait, me thinks.

Also looking at your gaming preferences I do not see the HD4850 buckling under the workload. Cheerio!

Should I search somewhere else to get better prices apart from fk?

Pricing seems to be on the sane side this time 'round with flipkart.com.

Prices are always lesser on the street , if price on flipkart has gone down , the it has also gone down on the nehru and lamington etc .

He is in Lucknow, which co-incidentally happens to be my home-town and I can tell you so much about the place -- it has very few options for purchasing quality PC components.

Now getting from Delhi also means he does not know if said commodity will be DoA. But flipkart.com will replace such products without a fuss, so even if he pays ~500/- INR extra it is worth it. If he were capable of purchase in person from Delhi then I would leave the choice to him. Cheerio!

He is in Lucknow, which co-incidentally happens to be my home-town and I can tell you so much about the place -- it has very few options for purchasing quality PC components.

Now getting from Delhi also means he does not know if said commodity will be DoA. But flipkart.com will replace such products without a fuss, so even if he pays ~500/- INR extra it is worth it. If he were capable of purchase in person from Delhi then I would leave the choice to him. Cheerio!

Ok I was of the opinion that there exists a " IT lane " there also like many places considering Lucknow is a big place .

True that getting all this stuff in Lucknow is close to impossible esp considering the rates.

Getting the products from Delhi (getting a Corsair 400r tomorrow) is definitely an option but would delay the buy to around Diwali (1st week of Nov). If I order today FK would deliver only in around 6-8 days since the product shows 'Available' & not 'In stock' otherwise delivery in 2 days flat.

I'm pretty much set on i5 3450 + Giga B75 + G Skill / Corsair 8GB. Still the price is holding me back a bit. Will call up a few places in NP to confirm about the prices there though I think its highly improbable that the diff would exceed 500 & below a diff of 1k I wouldn't consider buying it from Delhi.

Not that I'm in a hurry of any kind but is it advisable waiting till Diwali for a price correction??

P.S.
1. Any link to buy a cheap thermal paste while assembling the CPU?? Nothing on FK

2. G Skill 2x4GB Pack http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-rip...EMNE&ref=c0a0b237-90cb-4941-9a1e-db00ec73e1be

& G Skill 2x4GB separate?? http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-rip...4WC8&ref=040ad8a7-ee94-4f65-bd4b-13cdd94d1f40

There seems to be a minor difference between the model nos. mentioned.

OR Corsair Veng 2 x 4GB for its peace of mind - Kaizen Service available in Lucknow which handles Corsair RMA - 1 week turnaround time for VX450.

Thanks for all your help guys.

For thermal compound go for Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste-600/-,Ram depends on you,Since you're getting 8GB ram get 2X4GB 1600mhz pack,Corsair Vengeance is also good,It's your choice,If you prefer corsair then go for it.The prices will be same everywhere,You won't get any cheaper than that in few months,So get it now or later it's your choice.
True that getting all this stuff in Lucknow is close to impossible esp considering the rates.

Getting the products from Delhi (getting a Corsair 400r tomorrow) is definitely an option but would delay the buy to around Diwali (1st week of Nov). If I order today FK would deliver only in around 6-8 days since the product shows 'Available' & not 'In stock' otherwise delivery in 2 days flat.

I'm pretty much set on i5 3450 + Giga B75 + G Skill / Corsair 8GB. Still the price is holding me back a bit. Will call up a few places in NP to confirm about the prices there though I think its highly improbable that the diff would exceed 500 & below a diff of 1k I wouldn't consider buying it from Delhi.

Not that I'm in a hurry of any kind but is it advisable waiting till Diwali for a price correction??

P.S.
1. Any link to buy a cheap thermal paste while assembling the CPU?? Nothing on FK

2. G Skill 2x4GB Pack G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

& G Skill 2x4GB separate?? G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

There seems to be a minor difference between the model nos. mentioned.

OR Corsair Veng 2 x 4GB for its peace of mind - Kaizen Service available in Lucknow which handles Corsair RMA - 1 week turnaround time for VX450.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Update : Holding the upgrade for now. Mobo seems to be working fine again after the transfer to the Corsair 400r. (Still can't figure out the reason)

Greater sense prevailed I guess since the upgrade didn't provide me any immediate effect that would have been worth the investment. Guess the upgrade only matters when Ati 8xxx series (major update) is launched + 1080p monitor + Haswell upgrade which is again going to be a socket change. Moreover this would be Intel's 'tock' update (comparatively a major upgrade) Will buy all the products at a go that time may be 6-7 months down the line.

Planning to overclock e7400 till the time being if the need arises. At 1440 x 900 my current setup seems okay.

Any ways thanks everyone for contributing to the thread.

Back