Advice needed for replacing/repairing APC BR-1000G-IN UP

Nial

Recruit
So the UPS is from 2013 and worked fine till 2017/18. I replaced the battery and it was working well. Problem happened last year during lockdown. The circuitry (that switched to battery and online) got busted. I had to get it repaired locally since it was out of warranty. Things were fineish till last december. I recently had to come back home because of lockdown etc and here there is quite the electricity fluctuation. Voltage sometimes go below 175 and stays around 190-200 normally. Now the UPS goes to battery mode when it goes below 180... and this drains my battery a lot faster... (it lasts like 15 mins in normal load).

So overall my situation is messy. I need atleast 20-30mins backup on load (approx 150-200w on full load, otherwise 90-110w). But this UPS is ****ing me up... I cant get Power dept to add a new transformer (tried for 2 months), so my other option is to buy a new one that will work better etc. Kindly help.

Voltage sometimes go below 175 and stays around 190-200 normally. Now the UPS goes to battery mode when it goes below 180... and this drains my battery a lot faster... (it lasts like 15 mins in normal load).
Your UPS as acting as it should be.
For this scenario you can reduce the sensitivity of the UPS to lowest - but APC don't recommand this mode for computers. yt video - can help youtube.com/watch?v=8me-iMKcUCk
if the issue is only voltage fluctuation - the best option is to buy a voltage stabiliser (http://www.senpandit.in/automatic-voltage-stabiliser-model-rvs-22vm-1185355.html)
Power socket--> stabiliser--> UPS--> computer.

So overall my situation is messy. I need atleast 20-30mins backup on load (approx 150-200w on full load, otherwise 90-110w). But this UPS is ****ing me up...
If you facing power cut then you might need to look for UPS with support external batteries ( APC Pro series support external batteries) to that that kind of backup.
or you can look for something like this - https://www.cyberpower.com/in/en/product/series/long_backup_ups

but mind you, its not only your computer that voltage range is f** ing other household appliances as well. you might look for a entire-home solution. for this you can consult your local electrician they can provide you much cheaper solution.

I cant get Power dept to add a new transformer (tried for 2 months), so my other option is to buy a new one that will work better etc. Kindly help.
this is far fetched and tell me one example where without political connection govt babus worked ? - just delete this idea form your mind.

Your UPS as acting as it should be.
For this scenario you can reduce the sensitivity of the UPS to lowest - but APC don't recommand this mode for computers. yt video - can help youtube.com/watch?v=8me-iMKcUCk
if the issue is only voltage fluctuation - the best option is to buy a voltage stabiliser (http://www.senpandit.in/automatic-voltage-stabiliser-model-rvs-22vm-1185355.html)
Power socket--> stabiliser--> UPS--> computer.

If you facing power cut then you might need to look for UPS with support external batteries ( APC Pro series support external batteries) to that that kind of backup.
or you can look for something like this - https://www.cyberpower.com/in/en/product/series/long_backup_ups

but mind you, its not only your computer that voltage range is f** ing other household appliances as well. you might look for a entire-home solution. for this you can consult your local electrician they can provide you much cheaper solution.

this is far fetched and tell me one example where without political connection govt babus worked ? - just delete this idea form your mind.
Thanks a lot. I guess I will look into a Voltage stabilizer.
And will also look for UPS too.

Thanks a lot. I guess I will look into a Voltage stabilizer.
And will also look for UPS too.
I just bought a Cyberpower UT2200E for 8700 from QuantAB.com. Cyberpower's Pure Sine Wave models are highly recommended on r/buildapc but they aren't sold here imo. If you are from some metro, you can find it locally too.

Power cutoff 4-5 times yesterday and it managed to handle effortlessly. I currently have a 185W load and it shows 29mins backup.

As per QuantAB, shipping was quick but packing could've been better. Thermocol inside the carton was also in pieces.

PS - Sorry, didn't see that you weren't exactly looking for a recommendation.

Last edited:
Voltage sometimes go below 175 and stays around 190-200 normally. Now the UPS goes to battery mode when it goes below 180... and this drains my battery a lot faster... (it lasts like 15 mins in normal load).

So overall my situation is messy. I need atleast 20-30mins backup on load (approx 150-200w on full load, otherwise 90-110w).
As @netant suggested, try changing the sensitivity in PowerChute options.
Looking at the power fluctuation issue you mentioned, it might turn out to be counterproductive and defeats the purpose of UPS.

Regarding the backup time, try resetting the battery replacement date under PowerChute settings.
It would re-calibrate again and should give marginally better backup.

Back