Advice Needed: Incredible S it should be ??

Name: HTC Incredible S

Rooting Status: Achieved.

Retail Price (@ Noida): Rs 26,500/-

I been seriously considering this as my next upgrade and reviews havent been disappointing.

My personal belief is that 4.0" screen is a tad more manageable than 4.3" .

A decent cam with flash suffice for my nagging urge. Battery is good too.

Loud Speaker on the phone is not brilliant but a definite upgrade from the one on Desire HD.

I ll prolly be purchasing this and would like to know if there is any point in holding on/waiting for any other good phone which might be in the pipeline.

Requirements:

Budget: 25k

Build Quality: Non plastic preferred.

Screen Size/Make: Should be good enough/Not crazy about AMOLEDs.

Memory: 4/8GB.

Audio output: Good

Vid Playback Compatibility: DivX/Xvid shd be there.

Cam: Good snapper. Flash is a must.

Battery Back up: Atleast should last through the day.

I know about the dual core phones but have finalized the budget to 25k and nothing more.

Atrix came close and univercell projects the approx cost as 27k. But the wait for dual core and then the quad core based phones is a perpetually dangling carrot.

Maybe by the year end market would be flooded with options, making this time period a bad one to purchase a phone but i do not want to to wait beyond April and dont believe those dual/tri/quad would be seeing some sort of settled line of development soon anyhow.

So final question:-

1) Any phone likely to appear in coming month or two to give Incredible S a beating vis a vis specs, and esp keeping in view my requirements?

2) Any idea when the prices just might fall in retail/online sites ?

Dont want a bummer in a day or two of purchasing and Incredible S has been in the retail mkt since abt 3 weeks.

3) Abt the Divx/Xvid playback requirement.. have tons of clips which i gen keep with me to watch on the go. They are old but still favorites. Plus i prefer to keep clippings in avi format. This req alone strikes out many other models.

Justified in today's time?

1)Nopes.no phones in the upcoming months. The Arc and Neo pretty much satisfy your claims and beat the Incredible S in every aspect. Ironically, the unlocked bootloader and dev support which used to be given with the purchase of an HTC has been transferred to SE who with their latest announcement Unleash the power have taken the cake while the Incredible S is kept stagnant. And to top it off, the SEs come with the latest version of Android, better screen,better camera,PS Suite support, Blah blah..Its upto you now.

Given the track record of SE phones I really won't be waiting for them. :)

Coming to Incredible S, I guess the only thing that bothers me is the plasticky build (but again some prefer it due to - a) Easier to open the battery cover :p and b) Can bear more falls without damaging the LCD).

Comparing the Incredible S and the HTC desire HD, spec to spec they seem to be similar apart from the front camera, smaller screen size albeit a SLCD one (although I believe its more of a branding than actually to do much with the real quality, SAMOLED is in a different league altogether though) and a better battery.

Now if you are not much into video calls, and can live without the SLCD tag, the DHD scores because of the premium feel it provides because of the aluminium unibody. Regarding the battery I can say you will have to recharge it every night anyway, the DHD might be nearing 0% against 10-15% of Incredible S. And with custom roms you might even get better battery life. Coming to the size, since the DHD has minimal bezel it is not any bigger than the other 4" models like the Galaxy S. I have compared it placing over a galaxy S and it is just marginally bigger.

BTW both are supposed to receive 2.3 updates this quarter. I have placed the facts, now the choice is yours :).

P.S - I do own a DHD so my opinions might be biased, suggested to take this post with a pinch of salt.

@catcherintherye

firstly the budget, and the issue of DivX compatibility.. both are not fulfilled by the models you suggested.

Secondly, everything mentioned is just from the specs. Support the reply by some links/review/personal experience to make them really robust.

There are some decent divX/Xvid player in the android market.If you were satisfied with the s.q of DHD go for another HTC.I myself wont ever buy another HTC again.Used HD2,the original desire and both of them sucked in multimedia(pathetic s.q and rickety batteries),even my 10k E5 sounds better with decent earplugs than those 25-30k phones.

If you have a HTC HD then it wouldn't be wise to go for any phone in the market at the moment. Wait for dual/quad core with 1GB+ memory, then upgrade. You aren't upgrading by even 1% right now! :S

+1 for the Arc. Only -ve is the less amount of RAM comparatively(512MB). Else its better than the Incredible S in every other way IMO.

Better design
Better camera
Better audio quality
Better screen
Better super sleek and sexy looks ;)

Cool... we'll co-ordinate it then... Arc n Play both..

It has Gingerbread as u know. Mediascape is pretty decent this time on. Plus it comes with an unlockable bootloader so custom kernels will be no problem at all.

Yep. I noticed yesterday itself. Comes with an 8 GB microSD card and a screen protector to boot.

Just hope they have fixed the camera results.

Why no DivX support.. is something beyond my understanding. And not only this fone, many others as well.

Surely it cannot be due to h/w restrictions..?

Spacescreamer said:
Yep. I noticed yesterday itself. Comes with an 8 GB microSD card and a screen protector to boot.

Just hope they have fixed the camera results.
Cool :) But i like the silver color more which says still in preorder :( Wait for gsmarena review since it is a high value purchase. But as you know more often than not SE camera's are damn good.

Sony Ericsson XPERIA Arc preview: First look - GSMArena.com

It doesn't seem bad for a pre-release unit.

Back