Advice needed regarding freelancing

I am beginner in programming, i know bit python, ruby. I want to do freelancing. Where do i start learning and what do i learn? Should i create a website or anything using web frameworks, or write from scratch or anything else. Recommendations please. thanks

Hi its very nice to learn new thing But i would suggest you to Go by following way

1)basic html,
2)Advance Html
3)Asp :
4)Jsp : Secured Sites (Platform Independent)
5).Net : For Faster Development

For any help PM me (Loc:Mumbai).

To get good work, you need to first build a personal portfolio website.

Make a good looking website. Make few samples to show your ability and add it on your website.

on the skillset you mentioned i would like to suggest you to have a look @ OpenERP and try for customising it making modules of it and try to earn out of it from small business at your local places first its really very good for future prospects to enter into ERP services freelancing

If you wish to get into freelancing learn the following -

php5 , php framework ( cake/CI/symfony ), Javascript, JQuery , HTML and DoM and CSS2/3 . Learning Wordpress plugin/theme development is a shortcut to getting small work.

With the above skill set you will be able to apply for 90% of small project. Also try to do some projects and build a portfolio/website using ur own skills.

I am freelancer, so incase of more help needed just post back.

get the basics right.. then try doing work based on frameworks... its easy to deploy, more in demand and needs less time to develop... i used to develope wordpress themes... not anymore.. damn office work.. damn... ;)

regards
neo

If you know python good enough, I strongly would suggest you make yourself sharp in one technology. Learning to be a jack of all trades is no benefit, trust me.

So if you are good at Python, you should enhance your skillset with Django.. but if you feel more inclined towards Ruby.. go for Rails

On a side note/off topic - Its great to see so many freelancers on this thread.. I am a freelancer from Mumbai. If its possible for us(freelancers, that goes out to all those who have written or reading this post) to meet .. please shoot me a PM with your contact info if you are interested.

Btw, I work only on .Net and javascript on frontend.. currently developing a software using the latest OpenXML SDK and customise the bleeding version of ExtJS

I think its best to stay away from Python and RoR for starters and best to start with PHP. PHP vs Other amount of work available difference is huge.

Python is cool but very less work available. As for RoR i did learn it and now see that most php frameworks also offer the same and more ( less work condition applies to RoR too ).

Back