Graphic Cards advice on a new graphics card

path

Disciple
Hi
my graphics card (7900gs) seems to have run into an overheating issue. Right now if I play a game for 5 minutes or so the video dies. I have to wait for a few minutes and restart the system to get the video card working again. I'd like some advice on the right card. I was looking at the budget guides in another section of the forum, but since Im a little out of date, I'd like to just sketch out what I have.

Im using an Asus p5be motherboard (one pcie 16 slot) and a core duo E6300 cpu. About 2 gigs of ddr2 ram all purchased about 3 years ago. (I realise some of this may not be relevant, but better safe than sorry ;-)). My psu is a 630W corsair. I use 2 monitors, one of which is 22inch widescreen lcd.

Id like to buy a new graphics card. Gaming is something that does matter to me, but whatever I buy I'd like this card to last about 3-4 years. So I dont want something that isnt going to handle games 3 years from now. Also I would rather not be locked into some technology which will prevent me from upgrading. So for example if I replace my motherboard and cpu next year and pci-e is going to be outdated, then Id have to think hard about that :) (from what I hear pcie2 is whats going to become popular. But the good thing I heard is that there are cards that are compatible with pci1 and 2)

I see a lot of the guides here are placed around the budget, so Im not averse to spending 15kish on a card, but Id rather buy a card priced at the knee point. If there are 2 cards that serve my purpose and one card is much more expensive than the other for marginal improvement in performance, Id rather stay with the low end =p. To summarise Im looking for a card that
i) works on my current setup (or do let me know if a cheap upgrade will allow me to use the suggested card)
ii) lets me game (and enjoy current games without lag. nice graphics etc etc,)
iii) that will let me play games even 3 years from now
iv) that will allow me to upgrade my other components a year or two from now.

Lastly Im in bangalore, so along with any advice on what card I should buy, Id love some advice on where I can find this card.

None of the present graphics Card will last you for 3 years. Graphics Cards gets absolute more quickly than any other PC hardware. Dx 11 cards will be available within 6 months and i assure you only DX 11 card will be future proof for next 3 years. If you are in hurry to play games, you can temporarly go with Palit HD4670 @ 4.3k or Palit 9600GT @ 5.3k :)

if you want to buy a graphic card which can handle games for next 3-4 yrs !

you need to have a budget >7k!
under this-XFX 9600GT 512MB DDR3 7900,
XFX 9800GT 512MB DDR3 10500,
Sapphire HD 4850 512MB DDR3 8975,
Sapphire HD 4830 512MB DDR3 7500.

choice is yours, i would suggest-the 3rd one

second muzux2. You'd have to be lucky to have it last that long.

Its not impossible tho ... 8800gtx is 2.5 years in the market and i believe still solid for any game

There is a gfx thread that reports ATi dx11 launch is around the corner ... dint pay too much attention to it myself, but may be worth the watch for Path.

looking at the responses, I realise I probably havent been very clear. My goal isnt to buy a card thats cutting edge now and will continue to be cutting edge 3 years from now. I just want a card that will allow me to crank up the settings now, but 3 years from now will continue to play most games even if its at the lowest settings. Im fine with it just sneaking in under the minimal requirements 3 years from now. Does this make more sense or does it still sound unrealistic?

If 15k is your budget, I highly recommend you get a Radeon 4870 1gb. It should last you three years. I don't reside in Bangalore so can't help you on finding a good shop for the card.

If u going for ~15k than go for Nvidia GTX 260- 11k , GTX 275- 13 to 17k
MORE performance than ATI 4870 1GB and little less than ATI 4870x2
ATI is 256bit
Nvidia is 448bit:hap2:

ah, I havent been able to figure out what the most current but trustworthy shootout is. Unfortunately even a 6 month old shoot out can be irrelevant.

so after reading all thats been posted (thanks a lot btw guys), Im torn between the 4870 1gig card and the nvidia 260+ or 275. That said the advice on 4770 is intruiging, I need to read all those reviews on the review thread :)

The main reason Im looking at nvidia is only that thing about the physx engine (which may be useless?) and nvidia support in India is supposed to be better than Ati

Im leaning much heavier towards the 4870 but I'd really like some advice on the lowest price I can get it in bangalore :). Also has anyone ever tried buying any of these cards abroad and in that case is there any possibility of the warranty being honored in India?

Regarding the 4770, is it available yet? Im curious to see how expensive it becomes here.

Back