Laptops Advice on budget 13.1" laptop

samatre

Disciple
Hi,

I am planning to go in for a notebook which will be mainly used for

1. word, excel, powerpoint etc
2. internet surfing/browsing
Requirements

1. The notebook should be light and not a burden to lug around.
2. I would prefer a 13.1" laptop (wide screen , if I have a choice)
3. Maximum connectivity options. I travel frequently to places where I don't get a
broadband connection and so I need to access the internet through a variety of options.

Any inputs from the gurus out here will be most welcome.

I found a lenovo Y300 here in Pune for Rs 42k. Is it a good buy....

Thanks in advance,
sameer

Dell xps 1330 is not only one of the best but also reasonably cheap at around 55k, other options in the 13.3 size are Sony SZ. Those are are around 90k plus if not more here I think. Dell is quite good for the price.

^ I think the vostro 1200 is basically the body of the xps 1210 (someone shed light on this?)

Vostro looks like a good buy.

This is a non standard size, first time I am hearing of 13.1 and Y300. However the 13.3 currently in the market xps 1330 and Sony SZ are more current in terms of technology. The Y300 is based on 945 chipset and is not Santa Rosa, and it appears to be 60k plus. If thats the price I would get a Dell XPS1330, thats a no brainer.

EDIT: notebookreview has this laptop as a 13.3. Could be a typo.

News Bits: Lenovo Y300 and Y400 Unveiled, Charging Wirelessly, Apple AMD-based Laptop?

interesting....13.1" is a non statndard soze (at least used to be)

seems like a new TFT size...

As for the 13.3" segment, the XPS 1330 remains the best buy if you can hike up your budget a bit

The vostros are typically plagued by a bad display so there is a good chance the 1200 may also have the same problem

In the 12.1" segment, you can also take a look at the Compaq B1900 series which is fairly light & portable

raul said:
This is a non standard size, first time I am hearing of 13.1 and Y300. However the 13.3 currently in the market xps 1330 and Sony SZ are more current in terms of technology. The Y300 is based on 945 chipset and is not Santa Rosa, and it appears to be 60k plus. If thats the price I would get a Dell XPS1330, thats a no brainer.

EDIT: notebookreview has this laptop as a 13.3. Could be a typo.
News Bits: Lenovo Y300 and Y400 Unveiled, Charging Wirelessly, Apple AMD-based Laptop?
Here in Pune we have a premier dealership by the name of "House of Laptops" quoting the Y300 at Rs 42K.

Actually let me confess this :-

I am actually buying one for my wife and I don't want to spend a lot !! :no:

I am sure she will not do justice to the technology in case of a beauty like the XPS M 1330 or the macbook. !!!:(

samatre said:
Actually let me confess this :-

I am actually buying one for my wife and I don't want to spend a lot !! :no:

I am sure she will not do justice to the technology in case of a beauty like the XPS M 1330 or the macbook. !!!:(

:) nothing to confess brother but it's more or less same story everywhere :bleh: i would still recommend Dell vostro i mentioned earlier, relax and sit back. No company is right now close to Dell currently in after sales service backup. All in all a bang for buck product !!!

42k seems like an just about ok deal, and like you said your wife will use it for basic stuff so not point focussing on santa rosa and stuff. But anything more than 42k will make that expensive. Also ensure you have good support, no dead pixels and things like that. This is not a common laptop and you don't want to be stuck with a lemon.

The Dell Vostro series while good in terms of performance look rather plain infact masculine I would say. Your wife will not like it. It's not sleek, more of a performance workhorse.

PM TheMask. for some great HCL laptop deals :D He said he has 12 inchers also available. I got my 14inch from him, very happy with it :D

Back