Advice On E-Book Reader

I am planning to get a e-book reader. I want one which i can easily tranfer my e-books without needing to email them or something like that. Does any reader support chm files ?

Many of the standard readers (Kindle, Nook, etc) won't support many formats (other than epub/pdf/mobi). Look at models from Pocketbook or Jetbook(Not e-ink, but reflective LCD).

You may already know this, but you can use calibre and sigil for conversion also (but that is another extra step).

(I still can't edit posts?
<
)

I compared few readers and sony seems to support many file formats and also custom ROMS are available , it runs on a modifed android OS , it seems.

I am more interested in e-ink , latest one , ie pearl ink i suppose. Any one used both e-ink and LCD and can give feedback on which one is best for reading , long period ?

Also i want a little hassle free , not too constraint (like kindle where we need to send each ebook via amazon)..

Any one used both e-ink and LCD and can give feedback on which one is best for reading , long period ?

e-Ink anyday. LCD cannot beat E-ink. However it depends on your eyes whether you get eye strain on long usage or no. How much time you spend infront of your laptop / desktop ? If you can use them for long time then there won't be any issue. I read on my Nook Color 6-7 hours.

You can read my review here - http://www.techenclave.com/topic/488558-barnes-and-noble-nook-color/

The review is old now. It supports MIUI, CM9 too. Bluetooth, WebCam support etc works now
<

nice review avi

I want more ofa reading device . Already on my X10 i have Moon reader and other apps to read books , but give me eye sore and the LCD backlight is irritating.

Thanks for the advice.

nice review avi

I want more ofa reading device . Already on my X10 i have Moon reader and other apps to read books , but give me eye sore and the LCD backlight is irritating.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Naveen,

I have put in an order for the Sony PRS-T1. I will be in posession of it on the 6th or the 7th of March, if you could wait, I could let you know how it is. I bought it primarily because it supports epub.

There seems to be some issue with DRM but, I wouldn't know unless I have it with me. Also, it supports mp3, so audio books are also good to go.

I have recently gifted a kindle to someone who wanted only a kindle and they seem to be happy with it. But I agree that converting all the books you have is a pain.

Do let me know.

Will wait , I am also eyeing on PRS-T1 , as it runs on android , already I have seen that the launcher can be changed. I want a hassle free reading. Kindle afaik , will only let me upload via thier server , i dont want that.

P.S PRS t1 looks more like a enlarged X10 , which kind of gives me a repetition of design to my already X10 i own..
<

In due course if there are some offers , i will buy PRS T1

Will wait , I am also eyeing on PRS-T1 , as it runs on android , already I have seen that the launcher can be changed. I want a hassle free reading. Kindle afaik , will only let me upload via thier server , i dont want that.

I have about a thousand books on my kindle, and I've loaded everyone of them by doing a simple USB transfer. I used Calibre to convert/manage my ebooks, but transferring by copy-pasting works just as well.

I had a PRS-600 from Sony which was great. It looked very good and was very solidly built being all metal.

In the current crop of eReaders I would suggest B&N Nook Simple Touch or PRS-T1.

Both of them are Android based and therefore can be rooted and customized.

PRS-T1 supports variety of formats and also has Audio Jack.

Nook is very fast in page turns and doesn't flash the whole screen every-time you turn a page whereas PRS-T1 flashes the screen to negative for every page turn.

Current PRS-T1 is not as beautifully build as the previous generation models but is competitively priced.

Basically, both of them are great but if you just wish to read books then Nook is a better choice as its fast, displays crisper text and has a very good battery life.

I have about a thousand books on my kindle, and I've loaded everyone of them by doing a simple USB transfer. I used Calibre to convert/manage my ebooks, but transferring by copy-pasting works just as well.

my bad i read that we need to use some email adress (free) to send the books in kindle.. Thanks for the info.

I had a PRS-600 from Sony which was great. It looked very good and was very solidly built being all metal.

In the current crop of eReaders I would suggest B&N Nook Simple Touch or PRS-T1.

Both of them are Android based and therefore can be rooted and customized.

PRS-T1 supports variety of formats and also has Audio Jack.

Nook is very fast in page turns and doesn't flash the whole screen every-time you turn a page whereas PRS-T1 flashes the screen to negative for every page turn.

Current PRS-T1 is not as beautifully build as the previous generation models but is competitively priced.

Basically, both of them are great but if you just wish to read books then Nook is a better choice as its fast, displays crisper text and has a very good battery life.
Exactly , the design is very glossy and i am fed up with X10 style design. Thanks for the advice , I will do some research on B&N , flashing screen is also a point which needs to be considered. B&N supports all format like sony ?

I believe B&N should support most formats.

But I think you shouldn't bother much about compatibility as Calibre converts most formats to epub in less then a minute with a single click.

The Nook does support epub and pdf. However, from first hand experience, I do not recommend the nook simple (a firmware update notwithstanding). I have not seen any device freeze or hand as frequently as the nook simply does.

I do not know what the issue is, but my experience with it was terrible and from the looks of the reviews, I haven't been the only one. If there is a firmware update that solves this, then it is a nifty piece of kit and a fair but more compact than the others.

Personally, I am against most sony products, but as far as open e-readers with oomph go, i think PRS-T1 looked like the only option, considering I was unhappy with the nook simple.

As for Kindle, you can easily load books via USB, the only thing is it does not natively support epub. But if you are the adventurous sort, you always have http://en.duokan.com/

<

I have a B&N Simple Nook Touch, bought in a Black Friday offer for $80. Its quite pleasing to read on an E-Ink reader. However, if you plan to read from PDF's containing images, a tablet would be a better option.

The Nook does support epub and pdf. However, from first hand experience, I do not recommend the nook simple (a firmware update notwithstanding). I have not seen any device freeze or hand as frequently as the nook simply does.

I do not know what the issue is, but my experience with it was terrible and from the looks of the reviews, I haven't been the only one. If there is a firmware update that solves this, then it is a nifty piece of kit and a fair but more compact than the others.

Personally, I am against most sony products, but as far as open e-readers with oomph go, i think PRS-T1 looked like the only option, considering I was unhappy with the nook simple.

As for Kindle, you can easily load books via USB, the only thing is it does not natively support epub. But if you are the adventurous sort, you always have http://en.duokan.com/

<

Any help from developers , aka third party teams ?

Get an eink if most of your reading involves novels, if you need comics and other picture rich PDF, I guess your better off with LCD

I am actually getting a reader mainly for reading novels , thats why going for e-ink.
<
I already have X10 and reading in it (4") is pretty painful , mainly due to the brightness of LCD. Even though i can reduce the brightness , still the backlit is painful for night reading

I have a B&N Simple Nook Touch, bought in a Black Friday offer for $80. Its quite pleasing to read on an E-Ink reader. However, if you plan to read from PDF's containing images, a tablet would be a better option.
I am currently on the last page of the ebay to buy , the cost with coupon comes around 6,979.50 , So want a quick answer , whether its worth for this rpice ? or shall i go for other reader ?

sony design puts me off .. fed up with the design from X10 , dont want another one similar to it.

Back