Advice Required

nandu26

Disciple
I am planning to buy a COREi7 930 or 940 assembled PC

(1) Please suggest the motherboard (Gigabyte). What about Intel mobo? Are they good?

(2) I will not overclock. So should I invest for a separate CPU cooler or use the stock cooler?

I feel that temps will be reduced if I use third party cooler even if I am NOT overclocking. Is there any truth in this theory?

1. Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0 - retails for ~13k. Intel boards are pretty good but lacks the tweaking options found on most high-end motherboards of a similar value. Besides, I have heard some not-so-good reviews relating to Intel RMA offlately. In contrast Gigabyte RMA is very good - they even offer a pick-up and drop service for their boards.

2. If you are not willing to overclock, the bundled stock cooler would be more than sufficient. The idle/load temperatures would certainly be reduced when you use an aftermarket cooler but what is the point in investing in one if you are not willing to overclock?

+1 for the GTX460 768MB/1GB. Get the model from Zotac - 5 years' warranty should add a good resale value to the card in case you wish to sell it off later.

Hmmm... the review proves the GTX 400 series is back with a vengeance but I doubt it will run well on a shoestring ( basic 80+ efficiency ) SMPS so will thumb up the HD 5770.

Get this graphics card ->MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB @ Rs 13750. GTX460 1gb is a really good performer and more VFM than 460GTX 768Mb. Don't buy Zotac even if it gives you 5yrs wrrty. their support is really bad.

Depends on the internals rather. If you are banking on high-end components which generate a lot of heat, it is advisable to go for a spacious chassis. Helps in the long run so you may not want to change your chassis more often.

Desecrator said:
1. Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0 - retails for ~13k. Intel boards are pretty good but lacks the tweaking options found on most high-end motherboards of a similar value. Besides, I have heard some not-so-good reviews relating to Intel RMA offlately. In contrast Gigabyte RMA is very good - they even offer a pick-up and drop service for their boards.

2. If you are not willing to overclock, the bundled stock cooler would be more than sufficient. The idle/load temperatures would certainly be reduced when you use an aftermarket cooler but what is the point in investing in one if you are not willing to overclock?
Horrible RMA from my experience, My DG33 board just died after 2 years of usage. I went and got it replaced by Intel. It arrived after around 15 days. I don't know if this time frame is all right but that's how long it took. Anyways I used this for a month before the audio device on this one conked off. This time I sent for RMA through the guy from whom I purchased my stuff. He took 300/- for advance replacement. The motherboard I got after 4 days was dead on arrival. I got it checked at the computer shop before getting it home and there were no beeps, only the CPU fan rolling and that's it. So the shopkeeper had to send it back again, this time it took the whole 15 days again and I got a working motherboard! Annoying experience, all that time after the dead on arrival motherboard I was looking to twist some necks.

Sorry for taking it off topic and Good luck with your purchase.

Back