Budget 51-70k Advice to buy a laptop now during the sale or wait

kartikoli

Skilled
Currently my brother have
ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT 15.6" FHD 120Hz Laptop GTX 1650 4GB Graphics (Ryzen 5-3550H/8GB RAM/1TB HDD + 256GB PCIe SSD/Windows 10/Stealth Black/2.20 Kg)

He is happy with the performance but now its time to upgrade. I was waiting for 4050 based laptop but they are not available yet, His main usage is opening around 4~5 browsers with 10~15 tabs for work
He also plays occasional games like GTA 5, though he can compromise on GPU as his gaming time is very low due to busy work schedule.

Good battery and around 16gb RAM is needed to support his style of work, also a good webcam would be welcome though he does have a dedicated webcam for calls.

I am confused if he should go for better GPU's (3050-3050Ti-3060-4050) or pay more attention on other parts, He doesn't need top of the line product too.
Any advice would be appreciated. Budget can be increased if the deal is really good

I don’t think an upgrade for work will amount to a lot of increased productivity based on the current specs he allready has. Perhaps just add another stick of ram.

For gaming - you may consider it

I had the same feeling but since this laptop is around 3yr+ we thought to upgrade anyways also its a possibility that a relative will join my company and will need a laptop. I would rather give him my old laptop than buying new one for him (family pressure... You just can't do anything).

Wait for the sale. I got pretty good deal for 2 Laptops. MSI Modern 14 (Got for 5.5k less than regular price) and Asus Tuf F17 (Got for 9K less than regular price)

I would say wait and see what options you will get with 4050 - personally, I don't see it at 70k unless you import it.
2023 budget gaming laptop = 3050 4GB. 4050 will be charged a premium because DLSS 3 is huge.

Also, yeah - your specs will work fine if he isn't gaming much. 1650 is decent for occasional gaming.

I think 3050 would be enough for casual gaming so what are my options. Budget is not an issue if the product is good since its a work laptop I don't want to compromise on build quality (No one wants a non working laptop even for a day when your job depends on it).

I just got myself a Asus Rog flow z13. Got this after exchanging my current system, and paying some balance amount.

This is like a surface pro, but it's much better version with versatile balance between gaming and performance. Though, GPU is not the very best (RTX 3050), but it just managed to run all the latest games at decent frame fps.It does have tb-4 port to support external GPU connection.

What makes it best for me is it's weight and portability which is easier to carry around.

Flow Z13 would be 1.7L+ easily. And you are paying for the 2 in 1 package, and the e-GPU port etc. More cost of innovation. Flow X13 is be a better option for price and battery backup (AMD) if you need a 2 in 1.
Have you considered a Lenovo Ideapad 3 Gaming? That might be good under 70k. Also, if you up the budget - the 2022 ASUS TUF series is a good buy.
Also, look at the Dell G15 2022. Might be available for 80-90k - it had insane battery life and topped many lists.

Flow Z13 would be 1.7L+ easily. And you are paying for the 2 in 1 package, and the e-GPU port etc. More cost of innovation. Flow X13 is be a better option for price and battery backup (AMD) if you need a 2 in 1.
Have you considered a Lenovo Ideapad 3 Gaming? That might be good under 70k. Also, if you up the budget - the 2022 ASUS TUF series is a good buy.
Also, look at the Dell G15 2022. Might be available for 80-90k - it had insane battery life and topped many lists.
Agree with you.. there are lots of versatile models with OP can find in the market right now . Rog flow comes at a bit higher price point, but it well balances the performance and gaming equations. since i travel a lot, I preferred to have a hybrid or just a tablet to carry with me.. it helps when you need to attend urgent meetings/situations/work, while on the go.

following models aren't bad either.. They are equipped with RTX 3060/3050/350Ti and decent CPU which shall sate both gamming and performance needs

1.4L for 3050 Laptop, I'll pass lol. I have really good experience with my existing Asus laptop so that can be considered but will avoid Dell and MSI (MSI have horrible RMA stories all over the internet)
The above HP Laptop look good but the question do I need a 3060 laptop?

1.4L for 3050 Laptop, I'll pass lol. I have really good experience with my existing Asus laptop so that can be considered but will avoid Dell and MSI (MSI have horrible RMA stories all over the internet)
The above HP Laptop look good but the question do I need a 3060 laptop?
3060 is good, but it adds to cost. It helps greatly when you are in graphic designing, solidwork simulation, editing etc.. any recent game/s will run with good/acceptable fps in 3060 with different scaling options.

3060 might help you sail a year or so (2023, 2024-partial) with the upcoming game releases.

HP Victus does have few other variants which you can review based on their specifications:

HP Victus Gaming Latest 12th Gen Intel Core i5 Processor 15.6 inch(39.6 cm) FHD Gaming Laptop (8GB RAM/512GB SSD/GTX 1650 4GB Graphics/144Hz/BL KB/Win 11/MSO/B&O/Alexa/Xbox Pass), 15-fa0070TX https://amzn.eu/d/6UDlGbY

HP Victus Gaming Latest AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor 16.1 inch(40.9 cm) FHD Gaming Laptop (8GB RAM/512GB SSD/4GB Radeon RX5500M Graphics/B&O/Backlit KB/Win 10/MS Office/Xbox Game Pass),16-E0162ax https://amzn.eu/d/aPD1Xji

HP Victus Gaming Laptop (AMD R5 5000 Series/8GB RAM & 512GB SSD Storage/5500M Graphics) 430 Multi-Device Bluetooth Wireless Mouse with 4 Programmable Buttons/ 800 DPI - 4000 DPI/ https://amzn.eu/d/1u1CCJN

Just to give you a reference, I got my brother a Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3 15ACH6 (R7 5800H, 3050 4G, 2x8G) for INR 64000 + INR2400 (for 8G stick) in the last Amazon Diwali Sale. Now that included a credit card discount but under no circumstance should you spend more than 75-78k for a 3050-based laptop.

If he is happy with the performance, then please refrain from upgrading. People seem to follow an upgrade path forced upon them by the industry rather than being dictated by their requirements. And to all the guys here who think they are young GTA V was released 8.5 years back; so his laptop should be able to handle that, or better yet his modern smart refrigerator will handle that :laughing:.

A fellow brother here at TE posted a thread in classifieds selling his Xbox with 2x5TB setup full of games (yeah let that sink in), he went on to add; and I quote; "Downloaded all the games but never got time to play", now that hit me (at least) deep. So given his schedule, he won't be using the new laptop much for gaming either (sad I know). So his old laptop still has some life left, just get another stick of ram (ryzens love dual channel RAM)

Just to give you a reference, I got my brother a Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3 15ACH6 (R7 5800H, 3050 4G, 2x8G) for INR 64000 + INR2400 (for 8G stick) in the last Amazon Diwali Sale. Now that included a credit card discount but under no circumstance should you spend more than 75-78k for a 3050-based laptop.

If he is happy with the performance, then please refrain from upgrading. People seem to follow an upgrade path forced upon them by the industry rather than being dictated by their requirements. And to all the guys here who think they are young GTA V was released 8.5 years back; so his laptop should be able to handle that, or better yet his modern smart refrigerator will handle that :laughing:.
Agree with you about prizing of 3050 Laptops also the fact he won't get time to play all those games maybe max an hour during weekend so thats not called gaming. I know his laptop is good even with 8gb RAM he can work well but now the battery life is talking a hit so thats another reason to go for new one.
The decision to upgrade is not forced (maybe he can still live with current Laptop for couple of more years)
A fellow brother here at TE posted a thread in classifieds selling his Xbox with 2x5TB setup full of games (yeah let that sink in), he went on to add; and I quote; "Downloaded all the games but never got time to play", now that hit me (at least) deep.
You remind me of old me once I had around 10tb of HD filled with games and Movies so I asked myself a question "Am I going to play or watch these movies ever?" The answer was obvious and now I am at reduced capacity of 2TB HD (Normal) + 500gbSSD+1TB SSD (both SSD's for OS+installed sw and games)

Correction: I found the post, OP is selling is 4k TV and someone noticed a suspiciously large number of games in one of the photos he took and asked about it

Screenshot from 2023-01-25 08-35-20.png

Agree with you about prizing of 3050 Laptops also the fact he won't get time to play all those games maybe max an hour during weekend so thats not called gaming. I know his laptop is good even with 8gb RAM he can work well but now the battery life is talking a hit so thats another reason to go for new one.
The decision to upgrade is not forced (maybe he can still live with current Laptop for couple of more years)

You remind me of old me once I had around 10tb of HD filled with games and Movies so I asked myself a question "Am I going to play or watch these movies ever?" The answer was obvious and now I am at reduced capacity of 2TB HD (Normal) + 500gbSSD+1TB SSD (both SSD's for OS+installed sw and games)
Yeh totally agree with you brother. If it's just the battery (everything else being good), I would personally recommend getting it changed. Often electronics have a lot of life left in them before someone decides to upgrade them. I hope someday India passes the 'right to repair' bill and we can give the same care to our smartphones we give our desktops.

This hits hard, last year I made a resolution to buy a game only if I would finish it (and I mean 100%, not just the story), I finished 4 games last year and that included long titles like Ghost of Tsushima, RDr2 and Ragnarok. My first game for this year is Elden Ring, and I will be busy till July/Aug. This helped me so much with my mental health, I felt so happy when I took a personal day off from work to play Ragnarok on the launch day (I got the Pre-Order 3 days later but you get the point :laughing: ). I hope all you guys find some time in your busy lives to game a little. Keep gamin'

Bumping this thread since the sale is here, Below are the few options that looks good please advice or recommend if any good deal is available

- MSI Gaming Sword 15, Intel 12th Gen. i5-12500H, 40CM FHD 144Hz Gaming Laptop (16GB/1TB NVMe SSD/Windows 11 Home/Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6/ Black/2.6Kg), A12UC-467IN - 73k (extra discount might be possible)
Though MSI have horrible stories all over the internet

- ASUS Vivobook 16X (2023) For Creator, Intel H-Series Core i5 12th Gen 12450H - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 11 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050/120 Hz/50 W) K3605ZC-MB542WS Gaming Laptop (16 Inch, Cool Silver, 1.80 Kg, With MS Office) - 68k (extra discount might be possible)
Sleek and light weight laptop which looks good

- Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 15.6" (39.62cm) FHD IPS Gaming Laptop (16GB/512GB SSD/6GB NVIDIA RTX 3060/165Hz/Win 11/Office 2021/Backlit/3months Game Pass/Shadow Black/2.25Kg), 82K201UNIN - 80k (extra discount might be possible)
3060 based laptop

Acer Nitro V Gaming Laptop 13th Gen Intel Core i5-13420H with RTX 4050 Graphics 6GB VRAM, 144Hz Display (16GB DDR5/512GB SSD/Windows 11 Home/Wi-Fi 6),15.6"(39.6cms) FHD ANV15-51 - 73k (extra discount might be possible)
Specs wise this look like the best deal but not sure about the laptop

Lenovo LOQ for 68k if you have an ICICI card.

6GB VRAM and a better screen than similar models from other brands like the Dell G15 and Acer Nitro V.

Back