PC Peripherals Advisable to leave main power always on?

talsilo

Disciple
Is it advisable to keep the mains 'on' after the computer is shut down? Or should we put it off?

Reason is even after the comp shuts down, power reaches the mobo, and the LED is always on. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Another question.
My friend's comp, starts with distorted screen (even in DOS), and after the reset button is pressed it starts again. What can be the problem? I think it is monsoon/moisture related. It seems to start correctly only when sufficiently warmed up.

Any suggestions?

keeping the comp on from the mains is something like - how u turn ur tv off , but u still have it on standy.....the mains are still on , although its advisable to turn both off from the mains....

reg. friends pc....check different ram sticks....

I had a similar question. I rarely reboot my machine. It is usually ON for like weeks, sometimes months at a stretch. I haven't faced, nor am I aware of any issues that arise out of this. Any pointers?

O/T: What's with that speed test in your sig! Which provider?

ajab.ghajab said:
I had a similar question. I rarely reboot my machine. It is usually ON for like weeks, sometimes months at a stretch. I haven't faced, nor am I aware of any issues that arise out of this. Any pointers?

u are mixing up the question asked and the fact ur putting across , OP is asking about the mains being on and the comp off , while u are talking abt the comp not being shut at all , 2 different things.....

obviously if you're not going to switch on the PC again anytime soon, it's advisable to switch it off from the mains.

Regarding the monitor it could be moisture issue if it's a CRT.

It's not a CRT, and as thetechmind suggested, it seems to be a RAM issue. i suspected that, that was the reason of my first question. Can I stop the moisture getting into ram and other areas by keeping the machine 'on' (after it is shut down)?

ajab.ghajab said:
how about global warming???
guys, pls try to switch off whatever is not in use!!!!
tough it might not be a big thing for us, but the less power we use, the better for villages who get load shedding of 14 hrs each day!

Back