PC Peripherals Advise on Printer

A friend is looking for a printer in the range of 5k for home use only. He won't be using it for pics printouts.
I looked on these models. I liked the Canon one but it is written in reviews that the cartridge can not be refilled. Is it true for canon? I have used an HP printer for 5-6 years and it was real easy to refill it.
http://www.flipkart.com/canon-pixma...=b_4&ref=9b8bf914-897a-4e81-9628-c2c11c9e06b2

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-deskjet-...=b_6&ref=9b8bf914-897a-4e81-9628-c2c11c9e06b2

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-deskjet-...=b_3&ref=a16668a4-56f6-430a-8b66-7fbdf6390f82

If you have any other model, please advise

Somebody with enough experience using different make printers should do a cost analysis. Or maybe our TE members with experience on a specific make can chip in with their views and experience of performance and cost. And I can try to collate the data together and make a guide.

Initial Cost+ Cartridge cost for home usage - say a print cycle of 100 pages per month approx.

For newbies(like me) buying a printer is especially confusing since the Cartridge characteristics - single colour/ CYMK/ printing capacity/ refillability - is highly variable between different makes and can swing running costs heavily.
For example, I read(Flipkart review) about this Canon tricolour cartridge that costs something like Rs. 1500; but the basic PIXMA 2770 costs around Rs.2000 and comes with tricolour and black cartridge that seperately would cost close to Rs. 2000. o_O

I have been thinking of buying an MFP for home use for a long time, but everytime I do some research on pricing and running costs I end up confused and drop the idea.:confused:

Ive been using HP printers for almost a decade now. I had the HP 3550 deskjet printer from 2005 until late last year. I faced a similar choice when i had to replace it. On doing online reading and asking around, i found that HP cartridges are relatively easy to SOURCE compared to canon cartridges.

So i focused on HP's line of printers and finally got HP e3515 for 5.2k.

Regarding the actual build & print quality of printers, i find HP satisfactory (can't comment on Canon as ive never used one) ergonomics wise. But one thing is certain, the e3515 feels very weak/fragile in comparison to the older 3550 deskjet. But that maybe because of the 3550's cylindrical design itself.

Ive been using HP printers for almost a decade now. I had the HP 3550 deskjet printer from 2005 until late last year. I faced a similar choice when i had to replace it. On doing online reading and asking around, i found that HP cartridges are relatively easy to SOURCE compared to canon cartridges.

So i focused on HP's line of printers and finally got HP e3515 for 5.2k.

Regarding the actual build & print quality of printers, i find HP satisfactory (can't comment on Canon as ive never used one) ergonomics wise. But one thing is certain, the e3515 feels very weak/fragile in comparison to the older 3550 deskjet. But that maybe because of the 3550's cylindrical design itself.

What is your usage like? Pages per month and print type (mostly text/graphics/photos/ hi Quality prints).

I have used HP laserjet and Officejet pro printers at work; but the usage pattern is completely different at work as compared to home. The Laserjets were good for bulk printing+print quality+build quality; The Officejets were all round horrible.

Usage was mostly occasional. One cartridge would easily last me a couple of months if not more. Can't really put a count against the number of pages per month. Print type was mostly black and white.

Usage was mostly occasional. One cartridge would easily last me a couple of months if not more. Can't really put a count against the number of pages per month. Print type was mostly black and white.

HP printer cartridges are notorious for drying in scenarios with less frequent usage. I read a thread on TE discussing the same.

I hate the new HP cartridges. Last year i had bought a combo pack from flipkart. Used it just a few times. Probably less than 100 pages in last year. In Nov last year while trying to take a printout, i found that tge cartridges head had dried out. Filled them with ink but it still wouldn't work. Out of frustration, i kept the heads under running water and they started working again. Took a few printouts after that and in Jan this year saw that the heads dried up again. Crappy quality inks. Waste of 1700 rupees. Unfortunate that i couldn't even take any more prints from the cartridges even after trying the water trick. Didn't even use the colour cartridge even once and had to throw it out. :(

Henceforth i'll go take printouts ftom a dtp center. 5 bucks a page is quite less compared to shelling out 1700 every few months.

I hate the new HP cartridges. Last year i had bought a combo pack from flipkart. Used it just a few times. Probably less than 100 pages in last year. In Nov last year while trying to take a printout, i found that tge cartridges head had dried out. Filled them with ink but it still wouldn't work. Out of frustration, i kept the heads under running water and they started working again. Took a few printouts after that and in Jan this year saw that the heads dried up again. Crappy quality inks. Waste of 1700 rupees. Unfortunate that i couldn't even take any more prints from the cartridges even after trying the water trick. Didn't even use the colour cartridge even once and had to throw it out. :(

Henceforth i'll go take printouts ftom a dtp center. 5 bucks a page is quite less compared to shelling out 1700 every few months.

Exactly the kind of reviews I keep reading about HP. They sell cheap printers, costlier cartridges with limited life and loot you in running costs.

I am looking for an MFP primarily for the scanning function. I want to scan all old photographs and keep then in digital format. Sometimes you need to print, and the printing feature would come in handy as it is a pain going to the cybercafe for prints.
And my usage also doesnt warrant a single function Scanner; once all my old photos are scanned the scanner will be mostly idle.

In Nov last year while trying to take a printout, i found that tge cartridges head had dried out. Filled them with ink but it still wouldn't work. Out of frustration, i kept the heads under running water and they started working again. Took a few printouts after that and in Jan this year saw that the heads dried up again.
Did you try the cartridge head cleaning utility thats in the HP toolbox? Printer inks dry out regardless of brands but there are 6 month warranties for cartridges which you could have tried.
I think filling them with ink was a mistake, since the cartridge is no longer air tight and will dry out the ink quicker. This is the issue I faced long back with a Canon cartridge and since then haven't bothered refilling cartridges.

Exactly the kind of reviews I keep reading about HP. They sell cheap printers, costlier cartridges with limited life and loot you in running costs.

And my usage also doesnt warrant a single function Scanner; once all my old photos are scanned the scanner will be mostly idle.
Actually its the opposite with the HP Ink Advantage series. The printer is expensive, the cartridges are cheap.
I've gone through 3 printers : HP -> Canon -> HP. And throughout this I've used only one standalone scanner. Unless you're confident the MFP is going to be your last purchase ever and your printer is guaranteed to be reliable, you're going to end up with a very bulky scanner.

Did you try the cartridge head cleaning utility thats in the HP toolbox? Printer inks dry out regardless of brands but there are 6 month warranties for cartridges which you could have tried.
I think filling them with ink was a mistake, since the cartridge is no longer air tight and will dry out the ink quicker. This is the issue I faced long back with a Canon cartridge and since then haven't bothered refilling cartridges.

Yup I tried the cartridge cleaning utility a few times before I refilled the cartridges. Refilling them was not required because they were almost full already. The problem was the ink was not coming out.
So I tried removing ink from the cartridge to make them work. Threw them in end when all options were over.

Didn't have original box cause I threw it away with old set of cartridges so didn't claim warranty.

I just bought a new set of cartridges and a ciss kit (not yet shipped ). Total cost about 2.9k. Printer price was just 3.5k when I bought it. :S

Back