OC & Modding Advise on spray painting Cabby

blueren

Adept
Hi All,

I own a 2009 NZXT Tempest. I'd like to spray paint the insides black. How do I proceed with this? I did go through the suggested threads that popped up while creating this thread, but it seems that the threads are quite dated and the pictures shared seem to have been purged.

So, will a simple can of spray paint (150 ~ 300 bucks) be enough? Considering that I've already torn down the cabinet from limb to limb and have it cleaned, is it ok if I directly apply the paint over it? Also, what's th average drying period?
I've never painted anything in my life before. Some *pointers or *pointers to &pointers will help! :)

If all goes well, this will be my lazy saturday afternoon project.

Thanks in advance.

- sand it down a bit, to remove the lacquer.
- apply primer. sand the surface if it's too uneven.
- spray paint. let it dry. spray again until you have covered the area properly.
- sand the surface to a nice finish and seal it with a spray lacquer or clear coat.
- ask the hardware/paintshop guy if you are unfamiliar with the grades of sandpaper to use. you can also use car polishing compounds in the final step to achieve a mirror-like finish.

- sand it down a bit, to remove the lacquer.
- apply primer. sand the surface if it's too uneven.
- spray paint. let it dry. spray again until you have covered the area properly.
- sand the surface to a nice finish and seal it with a spray lacquer or clear coat.
- ask the hardware/paintshop guy if you are unfamiliar with the grades of sandpaper to use. you can also use car polishing compounds in the final step to achieve a mirror-like finish.

Thanks for this. May I get the common brand names etc. of the things I need to buy?

brands don't matter for this job but if you insist, then i use KOBE branded spray paint/lacquer cans and 3M sandpapers/polish. primer is generally from Dulux/Berger.

regular paint shop guys stock such stuff but it's better to get them from car repair shops as they keep sandpapers of higher grits.

during the initial sanding, use sandpaper of around 800 grit. then gradually move to around 2000 for a shiny surface. you need to buy sandpapers of 3 or 4 grits only. pick whatever is available from 800 to 2400.

as you can't put another paint on an already painted/coated metallic surface, you need to get rid of the old stuff as much as possible. so, a coarse 800 grit sandpaper is needed here. then apply primer which helps in binding the paint (primer sticks to the metal and paint to the primer). get the primer meant for rust protection.

if you are good with sandpapers then polish for the final stage is optional.

brands don't matter for this job but if you insist, then i use KOBE branded spray paint/lacquer cans and 3M sandpapers/polish. primer is generally from Dulux/Berger.

regular paint shop guys stock such stuff but it's better to get them from car repair shops as they keep sandpapers of higher grits.

during the initial sanding, use sandpaper of around 800 grit. then gradually move to around 2000 for a shiny surface. you need to buy sandpapers of 3 or 4 grits only. pick whatever is available from 800 to 2400.

as you can't put another paint on an already painted/coated metallic surface, you need to get rid of the old stuff as much as possible. so, a coarse 800 grit sandpaper is needed here. then apply primer which helps in binding the paint (primer sticks to the metal and paint to the primer). get the primer meant for rust protection.

if you are good with sandpapers then polish for the final stage is optional.

Thanks for this. I wasn't specific about the brands n stuff. I wanted to know what i need to buy. So basically -

1.sandpaper
2.primer
3.spray paint

And apply them in that order, right?

Also, what can possibly happen if i just spray paint without doing anything else?
I'm asking this because i just want only the visible portion of the cabby's innards to be black in color. Which corresponds to only the floor and the motherboard area.

Paint won't stick to unprepared surface. Spray on a small area and try to wipe it off after some time. If it sticks then it'll be an easy job for you. Otherwise, you'll need to sand a bit or of previous coat.

Yes, that order is fine but you need some sanding in between the coats. You can judge the finish and sand lightly if the surface is coarse after applying primer/paint.

Last edited:
Back