Graphic Cards AGP aperture and page file size?

undertaker

Skilled
Since I finally have 1GB ram,what should be the AGP aperture and page file sizes?
Keeping in mind that DOOM3 may use more than 512MB textures ,I have set AGP aperture to 512MB and page file to 256MB.

recommended settings for page file is 1.5 times the size of your ram. for agp aperture size set it to 128mb. dont thin there will be any difference if you set it to anything higher

But 1.5 times of 1GB is 1.5GB,which is a waste.Although I have heard setting it to no page file is a mistake as some PF is always present,setting it none seems to make the system smoother.

Yeah setting it no memory will be smoother but occasionally you may run into the insufficient memory error ! Set it to arnd 512Mb and avoid setting it to ur primary HDD.

Can the Virtual Memory be turned off on a really large machine?

Strictly speaking Virtual Memory is always in operation and cannot be “turned off.†What is meant by such wording is “set the system to use no page file space at all.â€

Doing this would waste a lot of the RAM. The reason is that when programs ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space, they may ask for a great deal more than they ever actually bring into use — the total may easily run to hundreds of megabytes. These addresses have to be assigned to somewhere by the system. If there is a page file available, the system can assign them to it — if there is not, they have to be assigned to RAM, locking it out from any actual use.

Aumha.org-bunch of geeky MVP's[Microsoft Most Valuable Professional]

I cant comment on the above since I believe i'm always short on RAM lol.But I would suggest you read the link I gave & get 2K/XP Pagefile Monitoring Utility by Bill James a MVP.Download it & run.Observe & set it accordingly.

Hacker said:
Does the agp aperture setting affect fps in games.

nice link digen
But it affects 3dmarks score for sure ! :p i remember when i had set mine 2 32Mb and my scores fell by a 1000 points ! same thing happened with bottle too i guess.

But if u set it too high, I heard that u will get a performance drop then too.
Actually AGP aperture is just a mapping between memory and I/O space of the AGP card...
don't know exactly how it is used by the drivers...

it helps when the memory on the vid card is all used up .. will help in games with large textures and such

otherwise ordinarily it shouldnt have much effect in gaming .

logically, how does the 1.5x rule work? if you have more ram, you would theoretically need a smaller pagefile.

Practically most people have RAM in accordance with the apps they run.
It is not that a guy who has 16MB RAM runs the same apps as a guy with 1G.
A guy with 1G probably runs Far Cry (and hence needs a big page file).
A guy with 16MB probably runs tetris.

KingKrool said:
Practically most people have RAM in accordance with the apps they run.
It is not that a guy who has 16MB RAM runs the same apps as a guy with 1G.
A guy with 1G probably runs Far Cry (and hence needs a big page file).
A guy with 16MB probably runs tetris.

Great comparision there, KK! :eek:hyeah: :rofl:

Back