Aircel Pocket Internet speed on PC

hi guys,

recently i got an aircel sim and activate 1 Day Free Trial pack of pocket internet with Unlimited Browsing... at first i thought it just can do mobile internet but after a google search i am able to connect my PC and can do normal internet on my PC using my N95 USB Connection...

now a few facts i wanna share or want some comments

I got torrent speed of avg 22-24KBps, never drop below 16KBps.

on speedtest.net i got 0.17-0.18Mbps :huh: download speed

for the last three days i am using it just @ 0.00 balance on mobile

there are three access point by default
1. Pocket Internet
2. Aircel Net
3. MMS
i can connect mobile net using both the above two but in PC only Aircel Net is working

now this Pocket Internet Pack actually costs @ Rs. 98 for a month. is it worhty and is it turely unlimited ??

and those who already using it can you tell me is this speed is OK or below avg??

thanks for reading

This is quite surprising. A friend bought an aircel sim last week and got the 98 pack because the aircel store didnt have the 3 day Rs. 14 refill in stock. well, the net absolutely refuses to connect. this is in kharghar, navi mumbai. even the test mobiles at the store weren't connecting properly. so i guess if it's working for you then go ahead and keep using it. at the most you'll lose 98 bucks if it doesnt work.

Hey hi guys,well was reading ur comment on aircel pocket internet.well i use aircel pocket internet nd everymonth i recharge with Rs 98/-.now each nd everymonth i dwnld about 5-6gb datas.the datas include movie,song albums,tv series etc.well somehow i managd to get a setting of aircel which providing me awesome speed.i ve a nokia 3110c handset.so when i connect with computer i access gtalk,utorrent nd many other sites.anyone need help about pocket internet can ask me.my e-mail id is chakrabarty.chikon@gmail.com

Even in Kerala the speed sucks. Pages like google takes about 10mins to load. But in mobile its quite ok. You can use it with Gmail mobile app to check mail when on the move.

The Aircel CC guys say its because in Kerala they havn't activated EDGE.

I'm currently using BSNL's GPRS. The speeds are the best i've used till now also the prices.

well if u r using Nokia handset then i can help u.....i have only the settings of Nokia Handset..
1.Go to settings
2.go to configuration
3.Go to Personal Config settings press select
4.Go to options "add new" select WEB
5.After selecting then u ll get Account Name Give it "Pocket Internet"
6.Then define Homepage myaircel.com
7.Username and Password keep it blank
8.Use preffered access point select "No"
9.It will ask to define access point settings press select
10. Proxy - Enabled
11.Proxy Address - 172.17.83.69
12.Proxy Port - 8080 or the new one 9203 but use the 8080 port bcoz it gives good browsing as well dwld speed.
13.Data Bearer - Packet Data
14.Bearer Settings - packet data access point - aircelwap
15.Network Type - IPv4
16.Authentication type - Normal
17.Username and Password keep it blank
now u r done with WEB settings now again press options button again ADD NEW.now u have to define the ACCESS POINT SETTINGS
1.Account Name - Pocket Internet
2.Access Point settings press "select"
3.Data Bearer - Packet Data
4.Bearer Settings press "select"
5.Packet Data access point - aircelweb
6.Network Type - IPv4
7.Authentication Type - Normal
8.Username and Password - keep it blank
now u r done with the access point settings.
Now just go to options and activate the access point and web settings.
now press "back"
Go to Default Configuration Settings - U will get a option Personal Config select it.now select "Activate defalut in all applications"
Prefferred Access Point - select Pocket Internet
Now surf and dwld with pocket internet at ease.

well i also want to activate 98 pack

but when i checked with the one sales rep for the post paid plan and this pack

he told me I will be charged for websites like youtube

so is it unlimited like BSNL 199 plan in postpaid ???

i think the above post were for prepaid

^^ Dont bother what those representatives say. It is unlimited and download charges are in the sense that if you download anything like wallpaper etc from aircel portal then it is charged. If you download a song, software, see youtube etc you will NOT be charged.

But the speed is so much sucky that you cannot expect youtube videos to load and downloads will take ages.

Yes everything in aircel is free only dnt dwnld any content frm aircel portal.they will charge u for that else u can dwnld anything u want.nd i wud suggest dwnld contents using utorrent.bcoz i noticd that aircel gives good speed in utorrent.:)

^^ From your above mentioned settings, how much average download speed do you get ??

I am currently using aircel activated on my prepaid sim and using it with Sony Ericsson w800i and when connected to laptop it works ok for surfing but downloading is simply impossible. Max i can get is 5-6 kBps and that too only bursts and not consistent.

raksrules said:
^^ From your above mentioned settings, how much average download speed do you get ??
I am currently using aircel activated on my prepaid sim and using it with Sony Ericsson w800i and when connected to laptop it works ok for surfing but downloading is simply impossible. Max i can get is 5-6 kBps and that too only bursts and not consistent.

SE W800i only has GPRS, it does not have EDGE.
So max speed that you will get is 48kb/s(i.e 6k[/b]B/s as 8bit=1Byte)

@gamepagol Check your PM inbox. I sent you a PM.

Chikon said:
Yes everything in aircel is free only dnt dwnld any content frm aircel portal.they will charge u for that else u can dwnld anything u want.nd i wud suggest dwnld contents using utorrent.bcoz i noticd that aircel gives good speed in utorrent.:)

Which city are you from ?

Well i m frm kolkata nd my avg speed in utorrent is 12kbps-15kbps.highest 24kbps nd lowest 2.5kbps.well actually i use aircel a lot.this mnth i actually dwnlded 4.5gb till now.i ve still 3 days left for nxt recharge.well i m using aircel for more than 5months.nd i wud suggest those who are using only in mobile plz dwnld mini opera which is really gr8 nd surfing speed of opera mini is really awesome,even the dwnld speed.

hotshot05 said:
SE W800i only has GPRS, it does not have EDGE.
So max speed that you will get is 48kb/s(i.e 6k[/b]B/s as 8bit=1Byte)

@gamepagol Check your PM inbox. I sent you a PM.

all i wan2 say gamepagol is correct.without edge u ll not get that speed,nd u ll find aircel net speed is sucky.a wireless net connection @ just Rs 98/- giving this much speed is ok for me,i dnt need more than that nd if anyone needs good speed shud go for broadband which really gr8.

+1 for above suggestion.
Opera mini is a fast browser that works
on most Java phones.

All internet accessed on the Opera Mini browser is
through the Opera server. Web pages are retrieved
by the Opera server,compressed and sent to the mobile phone.
This means less bandwidth-use by the end user,
hence cheaper and faster internet access.
This is a great browser as long as one refrains from
using it to for accessing private/secure pages.:S
The same concept has been extended to the Opera
desktop browser through Opera Turbo feature. It is
helpful if you want to surf on your PC through GPRS/
slow connection/ limited data transfer plan.

Well dude the thing that u said abt opera mini was ri8 absolutely but abt opera the best browser for pc i object for that,i used the latest opera with turbo features but it takes a lot of tym in opening a single website in gprs connection, whereas i can see that mozilla firefox works really good,another thing that i wan2 tell that browser depends on OS.if ur using xp i wud say go for firefox,if u r using vista use chrome.for pc opera is not at all a good browser.

Quick question: Is browsing on PC charged ? I heard it is. That's what the CC said. I use PI exclusively on my phone, but would love to try it on my laptop but don't want to risk balance reduction.

MHG said:
Quick question: Is browsing on PC charged ? I heard it is. That's what the CC said. I use PI exclusively on my phone, but would love to try it on my laptop but don't want to risk balance reduction.
Dont worry about browsing on PC. It wont be charged at all. Dont listen to customer care. They will say that downloading is not free but browsing is which is BS. They actually mean downloading from their portal is charged but say you download a software from softpedia etc, you wont be charged. So dont worry.

Also dont expect great speeds. In aircel over PC, i barely managed to touch 100 kbps.

Hmmm.... I just bought a DOCOMO SIM to replace my Aircel SIM since overall costs for me (inclusive of gprs) can come under 200pm while in Aircel it was around 280pm. How is DOCOMO GPRS speed in Bangalore ? I know its offtopic but just wanna confirm...

Back