Airlines - Carrying a guitar

HareshG

Disciple
I wanted to know if any of you guys have migrated a guitar across continents. As per the airline,if i plan to take it on board , i will have to buy a seat for my acoustic. I can always check the same in.... so thats what i plan to do. So for the 2nd option , what sort of packaging is recommended?

I got the instrument for 3.5K , so no point in spending a great deal over getting it packed. Does the good old carry bag work?

Cheers!

It will be a smashed mess if you take it in a carry bag.

I brought in a guitar from Malaysia in a certified flight case - even though it was ABS. The case almost fell apart in that trip, but kept the guitar safe from heavy stuff.

That guitar cost me 80K. It was worth a destroyed case.

I would simply sell the guitar here, and pick up a new one for similar cash wherever you land - guitars are available pretty much everywhere in the world. The cost of packaging the thing will be way too high.

A wooden crate should survive the trip, you have to decide if the instrument is worth it - sometimes money isn't always the deal with a guitar.

Good Luck.

Most airlines will allow you to carry the guitar as carry on baggage, but please check with the airline before hand to be on the safer side.

stalker said:
afaik Jet allows you to take a guitar along as carry on luggage.

I am travelling by Jet. When did you travel last? I guess the policies have changed. This sucks. I'll have to leave her here :(

I've seen people request for the guitar to be kept in the coat closet. You can try that. I've not heard anyone paying for carrying a guitar on board. but u can get a hard case for the guitar which will cost you between 2000-6000 depending on the quality.

First ask yourself: Is the guitar worth it?

ive carried an acoustic on domestic flights as hand luggage. If you do plan to check in the guitar, a flight case is a must.

I've seen tons of people carry a guitar as hand baggage.

If you plan to check it in, make sure it's in a hard case and tagged fragile. If you request the check-in staff to take extra care, it won't be dumped on the baggage conveyor but will be carried to and fro the aircraft in a separate trolley..

Back