Airtel 4G LTE

sankar_45

Disciple
Yesterday the Airtel people gave a Demo. in my home of their 4G LTE plans. Fantastic download speed of 10 MB.

postpaid plans
monthly rental (Rs.) hi-speed data limit breakfree with airtel 4G!
450* 2 GB
650 3 GB
750 5 GB
999 10 GB
1299 12 GB
1449 15 GB

The major problem with these plans is that the Download Speed after FUP is 128 K

What is your experience?

I am in Kolkata.

I am not sure about Kolkata but in Pune they have capped the download speed to 10Mbps. So yes it fantastic (as you mentioned) but less than what you should get. Failtel sucks.
Also does Airtel have 3G license in Kolkata ? I am asking this because if there is no 3G license and the 4G network goes down or is not available in the area of usage, you will only get 2G/EDGE speeds.
This is true for Pune.
Check the everyday show off thread, one member from Kolkata has bought 4G Modem from airtel. He should be able to answer your queries.[DOUBLEPOST=1374304308][/DOUBLEPOST]@krishnandu is the member who bought that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure about Kolkata but in Pune they have capped the download speed to 10Mbps. So yes it fantastic (as you mentioned) but less than what you should get. Failtel sucks.
Also does Airtel have 3G license in Kolkata ? I am asking this because if there is no 3G license and the 4G network goes down or is not available in the area of usage, you will only get 2G/EDGE speeds.
This is true for Pune.
Check the everyday show off thread, one member from Kolkata has bought 4G Modem from airtel. He should be able to answer your queries.[DOUBLEPOST=1374304308][/DOUBLEPOST]@krishnandu is the member who bought that.

krishnandu had posted images of the Dongle. I am going in for the modem cum router so that I can connect my PCs and laptop to it. They have delivered the router now. The price has been reduced to Rs. 2000.

They call it CPE. Customer premises Equipment.

The router is from Asiatelco Technologies Limited with the Airtel Logo on top.

http://www.asiatelco.com/en/productshow.asp?ID=194&ClassID=38&Path=0|4|35|38|

Last edited by a moderator:
999 for just 10GB....Pffft!

At that speed, 10GB would be exhausted in a couple of hours time. Airtel won't learn anything in terms of it's FUP policy.

If you see the unlimited Broadband plans from BSNL it is Rs. 950 Upto 4 Mbps till 8 GB, 512 Kbps beyond 8 GB. There is no way that I can get more than 2 MB speed. Watching Youtube videos and playing games on line is a pain.

The FUP in BSNL is 8 GB.

In comparison the Airtel plan looks O.K. Of course I only wish they would improve the speed to 256 K at least.

The only way that this can be resolved is for TRAI to fix 2 MB as minimum for broadband.

Then there is the advantage of portability. I can access this from other cities also.

@OP,
Airtel does have 3G in Kolkata. 4G is meant to provide Speeds up to 100mbps ( theoretically) and technically 20-40mbps is always possible on 4G networks.
Now Capping 4G at 10mbps makes no sense as 3G can also attain such speeds.
with an 3G connection you can easily Get 4-8mbps max speeds and 3G dongle is quite cheaper than 4G dongle which costs nearly 5k.
and Tariff plans are somehow similar and I feel 4G coverage is Not as Good as 3G.

So there is no point of taking an 4G connection Right now Especially from Craptel. Read more: http://www.nextbigwhat.com/airtel-4g-review-297/

Yesterday the Airtel people gave a Demo. in my home of their 4G LTE plans. Fantastic download speed of 10 MB.
Not possible to get a wired connection instead ?

4G would be good if we could use mobile devices with it but that's not possible as yet given the operating frequency choices we made.

Got the connection yesterday. The maximum speed has been capped at 10 MB. I am getting that. They informed me that the speed after 10 G would be 2 MB. I will have to wait and see whether they would deliver on that speed.

router.jpg

Yes. That is what the executive told me over the phone at the time of connection.

I paid Rs. 2000 only for the Router. But their web site still says Rs. 4000. Dongle is available for Rs.1500

I got a Download speed of 1 MB on µTorrent yesterday. The connection has stabilized. There were a number of initial problems which have all been solved. The Airtel people had trooped into my house every day for the last one week.

The initial problems were

1. Signal strength.

2. Device not connecting to my Laptop.

Initially I had concentrated on signal strength because this is the major problem.

ZTE who is running the 4G network for Airtel in Kolkata went all out to improve the signal strength.

The signal strength is O.K now.

Excellent service.

Any chance an LTE capable phone (with the same bands) can run this ? Or has Failtel limited the so called LTE to these giant boxes ?

Back