AIRTEL changed my PLAN without approval.

HailStonE

Skilled
I was using Aitel Swift 999 (2Mbps/ 512kbps, 75GB FUP). Now without any request they have increased my rental from 1050 to Rs. 1350 (+Tax). It seems they are forcing all the retention plan users to pay more now..

I had the 999 plan (without FUP) but when they forced everybody to come under FUP & speed dips they offered me the plan. Now again they have increased the rental by Rs. 300/- after increasing it last year by Rs. 50/-

My total outgo after Tax would be close to Rs. 1500/- now. :eek:.

Once again I had a heated argument with customer care & even retention team, but they are saying its due to TRAI notice which allows them to increase the rental without customer approval. I've asked them to send me the copy which I am sure will never get from them. Every time this is the same Modus Operandi where they give the excuse of TRAI notification & blaming TRAI for customers misfortune....

Anybody else had their plans changed like this..

I too had airtel but I switched to bsnl.
Problem with service is always there some way or the other with different ISPs but at least bsnl is cheaper.

With airtel, I had the problem of payment not getting received by them and then the arguments over late payment and all.

still i think you got a better deal .

As of now i am paying Rs.1399 + tax for 2Mbps upto 30 past that 512kbps :(

Planning to shift to 1699 plan which offer 2Mbps upto 80gb :D

I was getting this exact speed + data cap earlier for 1050 + tax.. Now suddenly rental increased by 300 bucks but no improvement in services offered...

Been using Airtel for 10 years but now older customers are being forced to payup more without increasing any service.. :banghead:

airtel is bunch of stupid people :( I've asked to terminate my connection since i was moving out of city... some one called me and asked to transfer to someone else.. i said NO and asked to cancel immediately. Again one more call from retention dept and same story... After a week it was not disconnected and when i asked, their reply was... "Sir you only told to one of our executive who visited your place, to keep the connection active as you will be transferring to your family member" :( Again sent a mail and now i'm in abroad..still the connection is active and two days back got a mail saying, "your plan has changed to bla bla bla as per your request" :(

@HailStonE I believe this is the first price increase after 10years? or it has been once increased earlier in the year 2012??

When I started using Airtel there was no FUP & I was on 549UL plan which use to give me 320kbps (day) & 512kbps (night) speed.

Then I went to 749UL plan with 512kbps (24x7) speed (My first broadband plan). After few years I started getting 1Mbps on the same plan (fully unlimited & no FUP) but 3-4 years back they offered me 2Mbps/ 512 Kbps (75GB FUP) for 999/- since they implemented FUP & post 10 GB my speed went to 256kbps on my 749UL plan at that time...I was offered this as a retention plan...

Last year they increased 50 bucks in the plan & now suddenly without any incentive they bumped another 300 bucks for the same speed & FUP limit...

All & all I tend to pay more & more all the while getting Fup'ed & deficient service...

Last edited:
ISP has the right to modify the plan at any point of time but they should have intimated the customer earlier about it.

If you don't want to pay more DUMP AIRTEL and find another ISP.

I was using Aitel Swift 999 (2Mbps/ 512kbps, 75GB FUP). Now without any request they have increased my rental from 1050 to Rs. 1350 (+Tax). It seems they are forcing all the retention plan users to pay more now..

I had the 999 plan (without FUP) but when they forced everybody to come under FUP & speed dips they offered me the plan. Now again they have increased the rental by Rs. 300/- after increasing it last year by Rs. 50/-

My total outgo after Tax would be close to Rs. 1500/- now. :eek:.

Once again I had a heated argument with customer care & even retention team, but they are saying its due to TRAI notice which allows them to increase the rental without customer approval. I've asked them to send me the copy which I am sure will never get from them. Every time this is the same Modus Operandi where they give the excuse of TRAI notification & blaming TRAI for customers misfortune....

Anybody else had their plans changed like this..
Its in their TOC, they can change any plan at any time without prior notice.

Unfortunately very few options.. There is Reliance Metro Ethernet. But their Distribution Panel is more than 100 mts so they are reluctant.. Tikona has some good plans (2Mbps @ Rs. 999/-) but its wireless & contention ratio post FUP (50GB) is 1:50 which simply means the speeds would suffer drastically.. Also it would also depend upon signal strength if they will be able to provide such a speed or not..

Today I got a call from AIRTEL now telling me that the price increase is not from TRAI but from AIRTEL itself. A complete backtrack, it seems they just use TRAI's name as an excuse for everything. But given that TRAI is private ISP's b#tch, letting them regulate themselves it seems logical to use its name for any wrongdoing... They are telling me now that you were on a low rental plan & we had intimated you in your last bill about the plan change... I checked my bill & there is a tiny line (like those "conditions apply" tag during sale) which says that due to input costs your monthly rental will be revised to 1350/- ... Very easy to overlook such tiny font size..

The person calling told me that you can get your connection terminated if you don't want the plan... Looking out for my options... right now only Reliance Metro Ethernet & Tikona Wireless is available... :confused:

This is pathetic.
The person calling told me that you can get your connection terminated if you don't want the plan...

From which city you are ? No other local cable connection provider such as 5net, D-VoIS, etc ? Also what about BSNL/MTNL ?

I am from Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh).. Only Airtel, BSNL, Tikona & Reliance are available..

I think from these providers BSNL should be better. IIRC, BSNL also provides dongles for their connection so as one can use net via it in case of ethernet issues. However I m not sure how much cost exactly is involved in this.

Last edited:
UPDATE : -

Called AIREL & asked them to disconnect the broadband connection. They tried to convince me with a cheaper Surf 899 & Surf 799 plan with 10GB limit + post FUP speed of 512kbps which I get in my existing plan.. I refused & went ahead with the request of terminating my connection. Today got a call from retention team & they told me that they can give me waiver of 300 bucks for the next two bills & AIRTEL is coming up with newer plans so I should continue..

Keeping my options open I decided to keep it going for the next two months & pointed out that if nothing better comes up I will be getting rid of the existing overpriced plan.. Reliance JIO is suppose to come in March 2014, If rumours are to be believed then they might encourage a better attitude in ISP's but its not very likely.. I suppose more competition in the broadband arena should be beneficial for consumers...

UPDATE : -

I refused & went ahead with the request of terminating my connection. Today got a call from retention team & they told me that they can give me waiver of 300 bucks for the next two bills & AIRTEL is coming up with newer plans so I should continue..
Better to ask them to give that in writing. My brother had a horrible experience with his Airtel Connection when he was promised the moon but received rotten eggs two years back

Back