Video Airtel DTH - Wants return back of everything i purchased!

Techie#1

Skilled
I'm a subscriber of Airtel DTH service from May 2011,after i purchased a Airtel HD DTH box & registered for their service alongwith my Sony Bravia Lcd tv ...but since a few months back i was not recharging my account due to various reasons!

Now surprise of surprise, from today morning ,I am getting very intimidating calls from Airtel DTH that they want everything(the complete setup including rooftop dish,cables,settop box,remote etc) back .As far I know, it was BOUGHT from the Airtel by me and in no ways am I required to give it back to the company if I dont want to use it further. But continuous inappropriate phone call and threatening that company representative would visit my house and take back the equipments is very disturbing. The way they talk is also disgraceful.This is absolutely unprofessional and shady practice by Airtel. I had paid full price for the purchase of the Set Top Box and thus I don't understand the reason for returning the things(the complete setup including rooftop dish,cables,set top box,remote etc) which i brought by my hard earned money ,which they unscrupulously demand me to return back!I am hilly disgusted by the fact that such a big company would resort to such a low practice of conning genuine customers.Isn't this corrupt corporate malpractice of highest order & I'm greatly surprised by the level of impunity they seem to enjoy to continue such gross malpractice unabated.

Is there nothing called "'CONSUMER RIGHTS" in India,are we the consumers always to be taken for granted & pushed against thee wall? :(

I'm very much confused what to do next?...Is there anyone in the same situation as me.?..any1 with the proper knowledge & ideas.?..please Help !!!

Now you know why this good for nothing useless POS company is called CrapTel and Failtel and AirFail everywhere ?
They have no ethics or morals and are worst in whatever they do.

I have had bad experience with their DTH as well as mobile. Got rid of them.[DOUBLEPOST=1371550557][/DOUBLEPOST]@bitsandpieces

But we have seen couple of people on TE selling Tata sky boxes and all. Even on my company forum people have been selling the DTH equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you know why this good for nothing useless POS company is called CrapTel and Failtel and AirFail everywhere ?
They have no ethics or morals and are worst in whatever they do.

I have had bad experience with their DTH as well as mobile. Got rid of them.[DOUBLEPOST=1371550557][/DOUBLEPOST]@bitsandpieces

But we have seen couple of people on TE selling Tata sky boxes and all. Even on my company forum people have been selling the DTH equipment.

yeah, but i had a cousin who faced the same issue with airtel. I went to d2h for the same reason, but even there they will keep on calling you if you dont recharge the account.

In the same market, I dont think two players can have completely different policies and still be there. I have always found all the so called competitors mostly end up taking the same decision almost at the same time like a cartel.

If airtel dth increases it price, i am pretty sure others like d2h, tata sky will follow suit. same as in telecom service provider.

Ofcourse some will be more premium and might charge a bit more than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dth boxes are company property, not yours. Airtel must have taken a security deposit from you. Around 1.5k or so. If they want everything back just give it to them and get your deposit back. If you're not using the dth service, either disconnect it completely or return it. I disconnected my zee dth but those guys never took back anything. Had taken it when dth had just launched in India, and paid deposit of 5k. Seems I'm stuck with outdated equipment now. Didn't get back my deposit too. :(

Is there nothing called "'CONSUMER RIGHTS" in India,are we the consumers always to be taken for granted & pushed against thee wall? :(

I'm very much confused what to do next?...Is there anyone in the same situation as me.?..any1 with the proper knowledge & ideas.?..please Help !!!

In India there is no consumer rights but there is always a Jugaad. When you get the call from Airtel tell that the set top box got damaged due to lightning. They will not bother you again :)

To HELL with Airtel !
Airtel has got into my mind by continuously tormenting me by incessant calls to recharge their DTH service ,even at very odd hours,since i have stopped recharging their DTH service. First those unending calls..now these pressure tactics to get their dth box owners to recharge or else they will take it (it's now their property-W.T.F.H!!)!...really what's the company upto? ..to how low they will fall to generate business.Either way,..such regressive business model is bound to fail! I cannot describe how bad & outraged i feel about them (i have never been intimidated by anyone like these ever)..they like to make such ridiculous calls whenever they feel like, even if i am engaged into some serious engagement & meetings in my job in my office hours!!!

To bring into comparison,i have also got DishTv TruHD service[which i purchased with my Samsung plasma tv]( also which i have Not recharged too for equally long time ),...Though i had certain complaints against their service after which i didn't bother to recharge, but atleast they were good & polite by "NOT" MADLY pursuing their customer to recharge their TruHD DTH service..though they sometimes makes promotional offer calls & sms! Also I have got Tatasky SD service since 2007 ,in my other apartment which mainly remains locked throughout the year(except when once or twice a year when i go & stay there & recharge it) .Except some calls & offers inbetween times ,Tatasky has Never ever bothered to harass their customers..& i have happily been their customer throughout the 8 years of their DTH Service.

Such a marked difference from Dish Tv & Tatasky ,I simply fail to understand Failtel DTH hyperdrive of being a such a PAI to snatch their customers money away(through recharge) or else get their things!

Now,as i find on the net(google my good friend),i'm Not their sole victim in the Failtel DTH latest obtrusive masterplans to loot wholelot of customers !
Look here > http://www.consumercourt.in/direct-...et-top-box-remote-back-airtel-if-not-use.html

*Even if a good polite Samaritan returns the goods (which Airtel claims as their own),the good Samaritan never gets the return money from Failtel which they promise.So you are are conned big time this way or that!

So consumer court seems to be the final stop here!Very Sad indeed :(

I am also a victim for last two years. Initially they used to pester me almost daily. Of late they pester me once in a week that's too with a recorded voice (if I pick it up). I know almost all their numbers and on seeing the number, I disconnect. Now I am at peace with their pesky calls. Few weeks back, I was reading their T &C. It is clearly mentioned that the set-top box and the remote is their property. Money that they charge is for security + installation.

This is scary for normal users.
Damn I have a Airtel DTH at home (in Assam, my parents uses that), bought in Bangalore in name of my friend (than roommate), addressed to a house at Kolkata and have a old mobile(now not in service) number registered. :p Track that failtel... ;)

btw, I use a Reliance DTH now (got with the TV) and they did call, quite a few time, when I didn't recharged for 1 month or so.

Yes According to Their Terms and Conditions Company owns the STB- you have to Return the STB and Other Accessories which came with it.
Next time they call you up tell them Wrong number or something. If they visit your place make sure you hide the STB somewhere and tell you have misplaced it while installing a New one. If they ask you pay money Tell them to FO.

One of my Friend did like this when Airtel people visited his place. Usually this happens when you keep the connection inactive for an year or so.
I Will damage the whole thing while Returning If i had to.. There's nothing like this mentioned in the T&C. :p

Moreover I don't Get this.. The STB for the Company alone costs less than 300bucks.. Are these scumbags worst than Roadside beggars or they are Forcing you to use Their Services?????

Back