Airtel EDGE very slow, ocassionaly fast

unixguru

Disciple
I got an Optimus One four months ago, and had been enjoying 3G at EDGE rates till 2 weeks ago. I do most of my downloads from university that has a very fast connection. I use my phone's Internet (tethered) for casual browsing (TE etc.) and use the university line for downloads. Two weeks ago Airtel cut the "free" 3G for me and I am stuck with a really slow connection. Usually I get speeds of < 80 kbps, and latencies are pathetic (> 1500 ms to connect to google!). The thing at some random times Airtel EDGE is giving me good speeds (150-200 kbps) which is sufficient for my purposes. Note that signal is always full for me (-89 dbm 12 asu). First I assumed it was when traffic is less, but happened about 2 hours ago, and I noticed that once it happens, the speeds seem to stays consistent till I disconnect and reconnect. Does anyone know why this happens? Searching the web, I found that there are a lot of posts about "fast" Airtel proxy servers promising > 200 kbps speed. Most of these posts are from personal blog pages written by random people, and I do not exactly trust them. Does anyone know of some magical Airtel proxy that gives > 200 kbps?

Back